This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulations Based Approach for Powertrain Noise Reduction in Tractors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Noise emanating from tractors is a potential health risk for operators, especially during prolonged working hours. As regulations governing noise radiation are made stringent, a first time right simulations based approach is needed to refine various noise sources of tractors. In present case study, powertrain noise optimization of an open station tractor has been carried out. Various noise sources of engine like; structure, intake, exhaust, timing gears and blower fan have been studied. NVH testing has been conducted for noise source ranking and establishing correlation with baseline simulations. Optimization has been performed on engine and it’s aggregates for achieving overall noise reduction of 3 dB(A) at tractor operator ear level, using; multibody dynamics, CFD simulations, linear acoustics and Rayleigh integral approach.
CitationSethi, I. and Shivajirao Patil, A., "Simulations Based Approach for Powertrain Noise Reduction in Tractors," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1478, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1478.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Maunder, M., Amphlett, S., Perchanok, M., Kukacka, M. et al. , “Streamlining the Process of Developing Intake and Exhaust Acoustics Using an Improved Linear Simulation Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2062, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2062.
- Mohite, U. and Bhavsar, P. , “A Unified Approach for Prediction and Control of Motorcycle Vibration Subjected to Engine Dynamic Force,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2015, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2015.
- Seybert, A., Hamilton, D., and Hayes, P. , “Prediction of Radiated Noise from Engine Components Using the BEM and the Rayleigh Integral,” SAE Technical Paper 971954, 1997, doi:10.4271/971954.
- Naidu, T.S., Balla, C., Carlson, C., and Hudson, D. , “Radiated Noise Reduction in a Single Cylinder Direct Injection (DI) Naturally Aspirated (NA) Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1503, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1503.
- Inavolu, N., Medisetti, J., Kumar, S., Lingeshkumar, J. et al. , “A Structural Analysis Approach for Engine Noise Source Identification and Refinement,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1799, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1799.
- Munjal, M.L. , Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers Second Edition (Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, 2014). ISBN:978-1-118-44312-5.
- Munjal, M. and Kumar, V. , “Design and Analysis of a Plug-Muffler Modified for Low Back-Pressure and Improved Acoustic Performance,” SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn., Stab. and NVH 1(1), 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0190.
- Deighan, T., Maclean, G., Kato, N., and Sato, K. , “Advanced Analysis Techniques for NVH and Sound Quality Improvement,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1787, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1787.
- Sheridan, K. and Wilson, B. , “Optimization of Gear Whine, Efficiency, and Durability of a Manual Transaxle,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2064, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2064.
- Beloiu, D. , “Modeling and Analysis of Powertrain NVH,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0888, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0888.
- Kosaka, I., Leiva, J., Watson, B., Adduri, P. et al. , “Structural Optimization Method and Techniques to Reduce Radiation Noise,” SAE International Journal of Engines 4(2):2173-2180, 2011.
- Blanchet, D., Van Hal, W., and Caillet, A. , “Effect of Beading on Radiated Noise,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3(1):868-874, 2010.