This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Thermal Fatigue Test Bench for Cylinder Head Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An innovative specimen design and test system for thermal fatigue (TF) analysis is developed to compare the fatigue behavior of different cylinder head materials under realistic cyclic thermal loadings. Finite element analyses were performed to optimize the specimen geometry and thermal cycles. The reduced section of the TF specimen is heated locally by a high frequency induction heater and cooled by compressed air. The mechanical strain is then induced internally by the non-uniform thermal gradient generated within the specimen to closely simulate what valve bridges in cylinder heads experience in real operation. The resulting fatigue life is a function not only of the inherent fatigue resistance of the alloys, but also of other relevant properties such as thermal conductivity, modulus of elasticity, and coefficient of thermal expansion. This test is an essential tool for comparing different alloys for thermal fatigue applications. In this paper, four aluminum alloys were tested to investigate the effect of the compositional change and heat treatment on the thermomechanical performance. The test method and results will be presented in detail.
CitationLai, W. and Engler-Pinto, C., "Development of a Thermal Fatigue Test Bench for Cylinder Head Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1410, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1410.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Su , X. , Zubeck , M. , Lasecki , J. , Engler-Pinto , C.C. et al. Thermal Fatigue Analysis of Cast Aluminum Cylinder Heads SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-0657 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0657
- Hayashi , M. Thermal Fatigue Strength of Type 304 Stainless Steel in Simulated BWR Environment Nuclear Engineering and Design 184 135 144 1998
- Meyer-Olbersleben , F. , Rezai-Aria , F. , and Goldschmidt , D. Investigations of the Thermal Fatigue Behaviour of Single-Crystal Nickel-Based Superalloys SRR 99 and CMSX-4 Superalloys 1991 785 794 1992
- Panda , P.K. , Kannan , T.S. , Dubois , J. , Olagnon , C. , and Fantozzi , G. Thermal Shock and Thermal Fatigue Study of Ceramic Materials on a Newly Developed Ascending Thermal Shock Test Equipment Science and Technology of Advanced Materials 3 4 327 334 2002
- Wei , G.C. and Walsh , J. Hot-Gas-Jet Method and Apparatus for Thermal-Shock Testing Journal of the American Ceramic Society 72 7 1286 1289 1989
- Schneider , G.A. and Petzow , G. Thermal Shock Testing of Ceramics-A New Testing Method Journal of the American Ceramic Society 74 1 98 102 1991