This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Control of Active Vehicle Suspension System Using Optimized Fuzzy-PID
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, a fuzzy-PID controller is applied in a half vehicle active suspension system to enhance vibration levels of vehicle chassis and passenger seat. The fuzzy-PID controller consists of fuzzy and PID connecting in a series manner, the fuzzy output is considered as the PID input. Genetic Algorithm (GA) is selected to tune controller parameters to obtain optimal values that minimize the objective function. The equations of motion of five-degrees-of-freedom active half-vehicle suspension system are derived and simulated using Matlab/Simulink software. Double bumps and random road excitations are used to study the performance of suspension systems including bounce and pitch motion. The performance of the active suspension system using optimized fuzzy-PID controller is compared with conventional passive to show the efficiency of the proposed active suspension system. The simulation results prove that the active suspension system controlled using the optimized fuzzy-PID controller can offer significant improvements of ride comfort and vehicle stability.
CitationEl-taweel, H., Abd elhafiz, M., and Metered, H., "Vibration Control of Active Vehicle Suspension System Using Optimized Fuzzy-PID," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1402, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1402.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Nariman-Zadeh, N., Salehpour, M., Jamali, A., and Haghgoo, E., “Pareto Optimization of a five-Degree of Freedom Vehicle Vibration Model Using a Multi-Objective Uniform-Diversity Genetic Algorithm (MUGA),” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence 23:543-551, 2010.
- Metered, H., “Modelling and Control of Magnetorheological Dampers for Vehicle Suspension Systems,” Ph.D. Thesis, School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, 2010.
- Gillespie, T.D., “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics,” (SAE International, 1993).
- Cao, J., Liu, H., Li, P., and Brown, D., “State of the Art in Vehicle Active Suspension Adaptive Control Systems Based on Intelligent Methodologies,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 9:392-405, 2008.
- Cao, J., Li, P., and Liu, H., “An Interval Fuzzy Controller for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 11(4):885-895, 2010.
- Gao, H., Lam, J., and Wang, C., “Multi-Objective Control of Vehicle Active Suspension Systems Via Load-Dependent Controllers,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 290(3-5):654-675, 2006.
- Crolla, D.A. and Abdel-hady, M.B.A., “Active Suspension Control; Performance Comparisons Using Control Laws Applied to a Full Vehicle Model,” Vehicle System Dynamics 20:107-120, 1991.
- Gad, S., Metered, H., Bassuiny, A., and Abdel Ghany, A.M., “Ride Comfort Enhancement of Heavy Vehicles using Magnetorheological Seat Suspension,” Int. J. of Heavy Vehicle Systems 22(2), 2015.
- Noshadi, A. and Shi, J., “Optimal PID-Type Fuzzy Logic Controller for a Multi-Input Multi-Output Active Magnetic Bearing System,” Neural Comput & Applic 27:2031-2046, 2016.
- Hrovat, D., “Survey of Advanced Suspension Developments and Related Optimal Control Applications,” Automatica 33:1781-1817, 1997.
- Fialho, I. and Balas, J., “Road Adaptive Active Suspension Design Using Linear Parameter-Varying Gain-Scheduling,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology 10:43-54, 2002.
- Rajamani, R. and Hedrick, J., “Adaptive Observers for Active Automotive Suspensions: Theory and Experiment,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology 3:86-93, 1995.
- Mohan, B., Modak, J., and Phadke, S., “Vibration Control of Vehicles Using Model Reference Adaptive Variable Structure Control,” Advances in Vibration Engineering 2:343-361, 2003.
- Gao, H., Sun, W., and Shi, P., “Robust Sampled- Data H∞ Control for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology 18:238-245, 2010.
- Chen, S., He, R., Liu, H., and Yao, M., “Probe into Necessity of Active Suspension Based on LQG Control,” Physics Procedia 25:932-938, 2012.
- Gong, P., Teng, X., and Yun, C., “Fuzzy Logic Controller for Truck Active Suspension and Related Optimal Control Method,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 441:821-824, 2013.
- Iwan Solihin, M., Wahyudi, and Legowo, A., “Fuzzy-Tuned PID Anti-Swing Control of Automatic Gantry Crane,” Journal of Vibration and Control 16(1):127-145, 2010.
- Vaijayanti, S., Mohan, B., Shendge, P., and Phadke, S., “Disturbance Observer Based Sliding Mode Control of Active Suspension Systems,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 333:2281-2296, 2014.
- Yun, Q., Zhao, Y., and Yang, H., “A Dynamic Sliding-Mode Controller with Fuzzy Adaptive Tuning for an Active Suspension System,” Proc. IMechE Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 221:417-428, 2007.
- Shojaei, A., Metered, H., Shojaei, S. and Oyadiji, S.O., Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Magneto- Rheological Damper Based Semiactive Suspension Systems, Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems, 5(3-4):109-120, 2013.
- Shehata, A., Metered, H., and Oraby, W., “Vibration Control of Active Vehicle Suspension System Using Fuzzy Logic Controller, Vibration Engineering and Technology of Machinery,” Mechanisms and Machine Science 23: 389-399, Springer Int. Publishing, 2015.
- Metered, H. and Sˇika, Z., “Vibration Control of a Semiactive Seat Suspension System using Magnetorheological Damper,” in 10th IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA 14), September 10-12, 2014, Senigallia, Italy.
- Metered, H., Elsawaf, A., Vampola, T., and Sika, Z., “Vibration Control of MR-Damped Vehicle Suspension System Using PID Controller Tuned by Particle Swarm Optimization,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8:426-435, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0622.
- Gad, J., Metered, H., Bassuiny, A., and Abdel Ghany, A.M., “Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm Fractional-Order PID Controller for Semi-Active Magnetorheologically Damped Seat Suspension,” Journal of Vibration and Control 23(8):1248-1266, 2017.
- Omar, M., Soliman, M., Abdel Ghany, A.M., and Bendary, F., “Optimal Tuning of PID Controllers for Hydrothermal Load Frequency Control Using Ant Colony Optimization,” International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics 5(3):348-360, September 2013.
- Das, S., Pan, I., Das, S., and Gupta, A., “A Novel Fractional Order Fuzzy PID Controller Andits Optimal Time Domain Tuning Based on Integral Performance Indices,” Eng. Appl. Artif. Intell. 25:430-442, 2012.
- Chopra, V., Singla, S.K., and Dewan, L., “Comparative Analysis of Tuning a PID Controller using Intelligent Methods,” Acta Polytechnica Hungarica 11(8):235-249, 2014.