This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Prototyping of Cleaning Systems for Cylinder Head and Engine Block Conveying Lines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the design of two cleaning systems following systems engineering design approach. An in situ cleaning system was designed for removing engine oil stains and metal swarf and shavings that adhere to rollers of conveying lines which convey cylinder head as well as other heavy engine components. The other system was to clear and collect metal debris accumulated in the grooves of an engine block internal assembly line. Prototypes were fabricated for the designed cleaning equipment for further testing and assessment. In the system engineering design process, preliminary, intermediate, and detailed design were conducted following an identification of the design problem, within that process a sequence of tasks such as synthesis, analysis, prototyping, and assessment were completed.
CitationLiu, Y., Meghat, V., Machen, B., and He, G., "Design and Prototyping of Cleaning Systems for Cylinder Head and Engine Block Conveying Lines," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1387, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1387.
- Y.-C. Liu , J.A. Batte , Z.H. Collins , J.N. Bateman , J. Atkins , M. Davis , D. Salley , C.L. Bethel , J. Ball , and C. Archibald Mechanical Design, Prototyping, and Validation of a Martian Robot Mining System 2017
- Liu , Y.-C. , Artigue , A.J. , Sommers , J.D. , and Chambers , T.L. Theo Jansen Project in Engineering Design Course and a Design Example European Journal of Engineering Education 36 2 33 46 2011
- R.A. Newby and R.L. Bannister Advanced Hot Gas Cleaning System for Coal Gasification Processes 1993
- K. Kim , H. Lee , J. Park , and M. Yang Intelligent Robot and Systems 2002 2 1874 1879
- Fuchino , T. , Wada , T. , and Hirao , M. Acquisition of Engineering Knowledge on Design of Industrial Cleaning System through IDEF0 Activity Model Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems 3214 418 424 2004
- Mazue , G. , Viennet , R. , Hihn , J.-Y. , Carpentier , L. et al. Large-scale Ultrasonic Cleaning System: Design of a Multi-transducer Device for Boat Cleaning (20 kHz) Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 18 4 895 900 2011
- Al-Bakeri , F. and El Hares , H. Optimization of Sponge Ball Cleaning System Operation and Design in MSF Plants Desalination 92 1-3 353 375 1993
- E. Gambao and M. Hernando 2006
- Wang , W. , Tang , B. , Zhang , H. , and Zong , G. Robotic Cleaning System for Glass Façade of High-rise Airport Control Tower Industrial Robot: An International Journal 37 5 469 478 2010
- Liu , Y.-C. Transportation of a Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Class to an Industry-tied and Team-oriented Course European Journal of Engineering Education 1 12 2016
- Y.-C. Liu and Y.-Q. Dou 2015