This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review of Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery Mechanism for Internal Combustion Engine Using Thermoelectric Principle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive power packs have been the focus of research over a long period of time. Among various power packs when we consider internal combustion engines, there is an ample opportunity in developing systems that can make optimal utilization of all the energy streams related to the automotive engine. In this regard utilization of internal combustion engine exhaust waste heat and environmental pollution have been the focus of research in the recent past. About 35% of the automotive input fuel energy is converted to useful crankshaft work and about 30% energy is expelled with exhaust. This leaves about one-third (35%) of the total energy that must be transmitted from the enclosed cylinder through the cylinder walls and head to the surrounding. The exhausted energy from engine results in entropy elevation and solemn environmental pollution. So it is desired to utilize waste heat to the extent possible. The recuperation and utilization of waste heat not only conserves fuel but also additionally reduce the amount of waste heat and greenhouse gases dumped into environment. The objective of this study is to suggest waste heat recovery methods using thermoelectric generator which can be used to power various low energy consumption accessories of an automotive system. Thermo-electric generators are capable of enhancing the thermal efficiency of engines and can utilize the 35% of the exhaust gas stream energy efficiently.
CitationRathore, S., Singh, A., Kumar, P., Alam, N. et al., "Review of Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery Mechanism for Internal Combustion Engine Using Thermoelectric Principle," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1363, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1363.
- Ramade, P.,Patil, P.,Shelar, M.,Chaudhary, S. et al. , “Automobile Exhaust Thermo-Electric Generator Design & Performance Analysis,” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering 4(5), May 2014.
- Chuang Yu, andChau, K.T. , “Thermoelectric Automotive Waste Heat Energy Recovery Using Maximum Power Point Tracking,”, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong.
- Mikalsen, R., andRoskilly, A.P. , “A Review of Free-piston Engine History and Applications,” School of Marine Science and Technology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, United Kingdom.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Year Book 2013.
- Matsubara, K. , “Development of a high efficient thermoelectric stack for a waste exhaust heat recovery of vehicles”, In International conference on thermoelectric, pp. 418-423, 2002
- Yang, J. , “Potential applications of thermoelectric waste heat recovery in the automotive industry,” In International conference on thermoelectric (2005).
- La Grandeur, J.,Crane, D.,Hung, S.,Mazar, B., andEder, A. , “Automotive waste heat conversion to electric power using skutterudite‖, TAGS, PbTe and BiTe”, In International conference on thermoelectric, pp. 343-348, 2006.
- Chau, K.T., andChan, C.C. , “Emerging energy-efficient technologies for hybrid electric vehicles,” Proc IEEE 95(4):821-835, 2007.
- Smith, K., andThornton, M. , “Feasibility of thermoelectric for waste heat recovery in hybrid vehicles,” Paper no. 266, In: International electric vehicle symposium and exposition, 2007.
- Jihui, Yang andStabler, Francis R. , “Automotive Applications of Thermoelectric Materials,” Materials and Processes Lab, GM R&D Center, Warren, MI 48090, USA. 2.-Future Tech, LLC, 2096 Cameo Drive, Troy, MI 48098-2409, USA.
- Ramesh Kumar, C.,Sonthalia, A., andGoel, R. , “Experimental study on waste heat recovery from an internal combustion engine using thermoelectric technology,” Thermal science 15(4):1011-1022, 2011.
- Dresselhaus, M. , “Overview of thermoelectric for thermal to electrical energy conversion,” . In: Linke H.,Borgstrom M.,Pullerits T.,Samuelson L. et al. , editors. Nobel symposium 153: Nano scale energy converters. (2013).
- Snyder, G.J. andToberer, E.S. , “Complex thermoelectric materials,” Nat Mater 7:105-114, 2008.
- Rice, R.W. , “Mechanical Properties of Ceramics and Composites,” (New York, Marcel Dekker, 2000).
- Xiao Zhang andLi-Dong Zhao , “Thermoelectric materials: Energy conversion between heat and electricity”.
- Biswas, K.,He, J.Q.,Blum, I.D.,Wu, C.I. et al. , “High performance bulk thermoelectric with all-scale hierarchical architectures,” Nature 489:414-418, 2012.
- Liu, H.L.,Yuan, X.,Lu, P.,Shi, X. et al. , “Ultrahigh thermoelectric performance by electron and phonon critical scattering in Cu2Se1-xIx ,” Adv Mater 25:6607-6612, 2013.
- Zhao, L.D.,Lo, S.H.,Zhang, Y.S.,Sun, H. et al. , “Ultralow thermal conductivity and high thermoelectric figure of merit in SnSe crystals,” Nature 508:373, 2014.
- Zhong, B.,Zhang, Y.,Li, W.Q.,Chen, Z.R. et al. , “High supersonic conduction arising from aligned large lamellae and large figure of merit in bulk Cu1.94Al0.02Se,” Appl Phys Lett 105, 2014.
- Zhao, L.D.,Dravid, V.P., andKanatzidis, M.G. , “The panoscopic approach to high performance thermoelectric,” Energy Environ Sci 7:251-268, 2014.
- Heremans, J.P.,Dresselhaus, M.S.,Bell, L.E., andMorelli, D.T. , “When thermoelectric reached the Nano scale,” Nat Nanotechnol 8:471-473, 2013.
- Hicks, L.D. andDresselhaus, M.S. , “Effect of quantum-well structures on the thermoelectric figure of merit,” Phys Rev B 47:12727-12731, 1993.
- Hicks, L.D. andDresselhaus, M.S. , “Thermoelectric figure of merit of a one Dimensional conductor,” Phys Rev B 47:16631-16634, 1993.
- Hsu, K.F.,Loo, S.,Guo, F.,Chen, W. et al. , “Cubic AgPbmSbTe2+ bulk thermoelectric materials with high figure of merit,” Science 303:818-821, 2004.
- Bathula, S.,Jayasimhadri, M.,Singh, N.,Srivastava, A.K. et al. , “A Enhanced thermoelectric figure-of-merit in spark plasma sintered Nanostructured n-type SiGe alloys,” Appl Phys Lett 101, 2012.
- Zhao, L.D.,Lo, S.H.,He, J.Q.,Li, H. et al. , “High performance thermoelectric from earth-abundant materials: enhanced figure of merit in PbS by second phase nanostructures,” J Am ChemSoc 133:20476-20487, 2011.
- Xie, W.J.,Tang, X.F.,Yan, Y.G.,Zhang, Q.J., andTritt, T.M. , “Unique nanostructures and enhanced thermoelectric performance of melt-spun BiSbTe alloys,” Appl- Phys Lett 94, 2009.
- Pei, Y.Z.,Shi, X.Y.,LaLonde, A.,Wang, H. et al. , “Convergence of electronic bands for high performance bulk thermoelectric,” Nature 473:66-69, 2011.
- Zebarjadi, M.,Joshi, G.,Zhu, G.H.,Yu, B. et al. , “Power factor enhancement by modulation doping in bulk Nano composites,” Nano Lett 11:2225-2230, 2011.
- Yu, B.,Zebarjadi, M.,Wang, H.,Lukas, K. et al. , “Enhancement of thermoelectric properties by modulation-doping in silicon germanium alloy Nano composites,” Nano Lett 12:207782, 2012.
- Zhao, L.D.,Hao, S.Q.,Lo, S.H.,Wu, C.I. et al. , “High thermoelectric performance via hierarchical compositionally alloyed nanostructures,” J Am Chem Soc 135:7364-7370, 2013.
- Wang, H.,Pei, Y.Z.,LaLonde, A.D., andSnyder, G.J. , “Weak electron-phonon coupling contributing to high thermoelectric performance in n-type PbSe,” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:9705-9709, 2012.
- Zhao, L.D.,He, J.Q.,Hao, S.Q.,Wu, C.I. et al. , “Raising the thermoelectric performance of p-type PbS with endotaxial nano structuring and valence-band offset engineering using CdS and ZnS,” J Am Chem Soc 134:16327-16336, 2012.
- Wang, H.,Schechtel, E.,Pei, Y.Z., andSnyder, G.J. , “High thermoelectric efficiency of n-type PbS,” Adv Energy Mater 3:488-495, 2013.
- Zhao, L.D.,He, J.Q.,Berardan, D.,Lin, Y.H. et al. , “BiCuSe Ooxyselenides: new promising thermoelectric materials,” Energy Environ Sci 7:2900-2924, 2014.
- He, Y.,Day, T.,Zhang, T.S.,Liu, H.L. et al. , “High thermoelectric performance in non-toxic earth-abundant copper sulfide,” Adv Mater 26:3974-3978, 2014.
- Ge, Z.H.,Zhang, B.P.,Chen, Y.X.,Yu, Z.X. et al. , “Synthesis and transport property of Cu1.8 S as a promising thermoelectric compound,” Chem Commun 47:12697-12699, 2011.
- Tan, Q.,Zhao, L.D.,Li, J.F.,Wu, C.F. et al. , “Thermoelectrics with earth abundant elements: low thermal conductivity and high thermo power in doped SnS,” J Mater Chem A 2:17302-17306, 2014.
- Tan, Q. andLi, J.F. , “Thermoelectric properties of Sn-S bulk materials prepared by mechanical alloying and spark plasma sintering,” J Electron Mater 43:2435-2439, 2014.
- Liu, H.L.,Shi, X.,Xu, F.F.,Zhang, L.L. et al. , “Copper ion liquid-like thermoelectric,” Nat Mater 11:422-425, 2012.
- Yu, B.,Liu, W.S.,Chen, S.,Wang, H. et al. , “Thermoelectric properties of copper selenide with ordered selenium layer and disordered copper layer,” Nano Energy 1:472-478, 2012.
- Xie, H.H.,Wang, H.,Fu, C.G.,Liu, Y.T. et al. , “The intrinsic disorder related alloy scattering in ZrNiSn half-Heusler thermoelectric materials,” Sci Rep 4, 2014.
- Xie, H.H.,Wang, H.,Pei, Y.Z.,Fu, C.G. et al. , “Beneficial contribution of alloy disorder to electron and phonon transport in half Heusler thermoelectric materials,” Adv Funct Mater 23:5123-5130, 2013.
- Heremans, J.P.,Jovovic, V.,Toberer, E.S.,Saramat, A. et al. , “Enhancement of thermoelectric efficiency in PbTe by distortion of the electronic density of state,” Science 321:554-557, 2008.
- Heremans, J.P.,Wiendlocha, B., andChamoire, A.M. , “Resonant levels in bulk thermoelectric semiconductor,” Energy Environ Sci 5:5510-5530, 2012.
- Poudel, B.,Hao, Q.,Ma, Y.,Lan, Y.C. et al. , “High thermoelectric performance of nanostructured bismuth antimony telluride bulk alloys,” Science 320:634-638, 2008.
- Biswas, K.,He, J.Q.,Zhang, Q.C.,Wang, G.Y. et al. , “Strained endotaxial nanostructures with high thermoelectric figure Of merit,” Nat Chem 3:160-166, 2011.
- Brown, S.R.,Kauzlarich, S.M.,Gascoin, F., andSnyder, G.J. , “Yb14MnSb11: new high efficiency thermoelectric material for power generation,” Chem Mater 18:1873-1877, 2006.
- Kurosaki, K.,Kosuga, A.,Muta, H.,Uno, M., andYamanaka, S. , “Ag9TiTe5: a high-performance thermoelectric bulk material with extremely low thermal conductivity,” Appl Phys Lett 87, 2005.
- Morelli, D.T.,Jovovic, V., andHeremans, J.P. , “Intrinsically minimal thermal conductivity in cubic I-V-VI(2) semiconductors,” Phys Rev Lett 101, 2008.
- Payne, D.J.,Egdell, R.G.,Walsh, A.,Watson, G.W. et al. , “Electronic origins of structural distortions in post-transition metal oxides: experimental and theoretical evidence for a revision of the lone pair model,” Phys Rev Lett 96, 2006.
- Pei, Y.L.,He, J.Q.,Li, J.F.,Li, F. et al. , “High thermo electric performance of oxy selenides: intrinsically low thermal conductivity of Ca-doped BiCuSeO,” Npg Asia Mater 5147, 2013.
- Zhao LD,Berardan D , Pei YL, BylC, Pinsard-Gaudart L,Dragoe N “Bi1xSrxCuSeo oxy selenides as promising thermoelectric materials”. Appl Phys Lett 2010;97.
- Chiritescu, C.,Cahill, D.G.,Nguyen, N.,Johnson, D. et al. , “Ultralow thermal conductivity in disordered, layered WSe2 crystal,” Science 315:351-353, 2007.
- Wang, H.,Charoenphakdee, A.,Kurosaki, K.,Yamanaka, S., andSnyder, G.J. , “Reduction of thermal conductivity in PbTe:Tl by alloying with TlSbTe2 ,” Phys Rev B 83, 2011.
- Zhang, Q.,Liao, B.L.,Lan, Y.C.,Lukas, K. et al. , “High thermoelectric performance by resonant dopant indium in nanostructured SnTe,” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:13261-13266, 2013.
- Pei, Y.Z.,Wang, H., andSnyder, G.J. , “Band engineering of thermoelectric materials,” Adv Mater 24:6125-6135, 2012.
- Pei, Y.Z.,LaLonde, A.D.,Heinz, N.A.,Shi, X.Y. et al. , “Stabilizing the optimal carrier concentration for high thermoelectric efficiency,” Adv Mater 23:5674, 2011.
- Gibbs, Z.M.,Kim, H.,Wang, H.,White, R.L. et al. , “Temperature dependent band gap in PbX ( X = S, Se, Te),” Appl Phys Lett 103, 2013.
- Lan, Y.C.,Minnich, A.J.,Chen, G., andRen, Z.F. , “Enhancement of thermoelectric figure of-merit by a bulk Nano structuring approach,” Adv Funct Mater 20:357-376, 2010.
- Minnich, A.J.,Dresselhaus, M.S.,Ren, Z.F., andChen, G. , “Bulk nanostructured thermoelectric materials: current research and future prospects,” Energy Environ Sci 2:466-479, 2009.
- Yang, J.H. , “Special section papers on thermoelectric materials and applications- foreword,” J Electron Mater 36:703, 2007.
- Yang, J.H. andCaillat, T. , “Thermoelectric materials for space and automotive power generation,” Mrs Bull 31:224-229, 2006.
- Gao, Xin , “HT-PEM Fuel Cell System with Integrated Thermoelectric Exhaust Heat Recovery”.
- Yuchao, Wanga,Chuanshan, Dai,Shixue, Wang , “Theoretical analysis of a thermoelectric generator using exhaust gas of vehicles as heat source,” Applied Energy, 2013 or internal combustion engine, Energy Conversion and Management, 2014
- Vining, Cronin B. , “The Limited Role for Thermoelectrics in the Climate Crisis.Solutions Summit,” 20080501, NYC.
- Hogan, T.P. et al. , “Nanostructured Thermoelectric Materials and High-Efficiency Power- Generation Modules,” Journal of Electronic Materials 36(7), 2007.
- Headings, L.M. , “High Temperature Thermoelectric Auxiliary Power Unit for Automotive Applications, in ASME Conference on Smart Materials,” Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, 2008, ASME, Ellicott City, Maryland, USA.
- Venkatasubramanian, R.,Siivola, E.,Colpitts, T., andO'Quin, B. , “Thin-film thermoelectric devices with high room-temperature figures of merit,” Nature 413:11, October 2001.
- Min, G. andRowe, D.M. , “Ring-structured thermoelectric module,” Semicond Sci Technol. 22:880-883, 2007.
- John Armstead andMiers, Scott A. , “Review of waste heat recovery mechanisms for internal combustion engines,” Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference ICEF2010 September 12-15, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 2010.
- Jeffrey Snyder, G. andToberer, E.S. , “Complex thermoelectric materials,” Nature Materials 7(2):105-114, 2008.
- Saqr, K.M.,Mansour, M.K., andMusa, M.N. , “Thermal design of automobile exhaust based on thermoelectric generators: objectives and challenges,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 9(2):155-160, 2008.
- ZhiqiangNiu, H.D.,Yu, S.,Jiao, K.,Du, Q., andShu, G. , “Investigation and design optimization of exhaust-based thermoelectric generator system for internal combustion engine,” Energy Conversion and Management, 2014.
- Nellis, G. andKlein, S. , “Heat transfer,” (New York, Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Kays, W.M. andLondon, A.L. , “Compact heat exchangers,” 3rd Edition (New York, McGraw Hill, 1984).
- Ringler, J. , “Rankine Cycle for Waste Heat Recovery of IC Engines,” SAE Int J Engines 2(1):67-76, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0174.
- Goncalves, L.M.,Jorge Martins,Joaquim Antunes,Romeu Rocha,Brito, Francisco P. , “Heat-pipe assisted thermoelectric generators for exhaust gas applications,” Proceedings of the ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition IMECE2010 November 12-18, 2010, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Martins, J.,Goncalves, L.M.,Antunes, J., andBrito, F.P. , “Thermoelectric exhaust energy recovery with temperature control through heat pipes,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0315, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0315.
- B. Orr,B. Singh,L. Tan, andA. Akbarzadeh , “Electricity generation from an exhaust heat recovery system utilising thermoelectric cells and heat pipes”.