Analytical Validation of H-point During Seating System Design
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1323
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Position of the H-point plays a vital role during designing the seating system. The seating system provides support and comfort to the occupants while they are operating the vehicle. The traditional way to design a seat system is to use rules of thumb and experience, which often results in several costly design iterations. The purpose of this paper is to demonstrate the capability of CAE analytical tool to find the H-point at the early phase of the seating system design without compromising the comfort level of the occupant. The recently launched Lincoln Continental front seating system was used to validate this purpose. The Continental seating system has unique design features which provide special challenges in designing and simulating the seat. With the help of CAE analytical tool, the traditional process is streamlined and a seat design could be achieved in a shorter period with greater accuracy.
CitationAlam, D., Kolich, M., and Hojnacki, H., "Analytical Validation of H-point During Seating System Design," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1323, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1323.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Dooge, D., Cabane, C., Marca, C., Dwaramoude, R. et al., “Utilizing Finite Element Tools to Model Objective Seat Comfort Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0074, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0074.
- Laurent, V., Then, C., and Silber, G., “Human Modeling and CAE Based Subjective Seat Comfort Score Correlation,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(1):295-304, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1980.
- Azizi, Y., Bajaj, A., and Davies, P., “Predicting the Response of a Seat-Occupant Model by Using Incremental Harmonic Balance,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1190, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1190.
- Jones, M., Park, J., Ebert-Hamilton, S., Han, K.K., and Reed, M., “Effects of Seat and Sitter Dimensions on Pressure Distribution in Automotive Seats,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1390, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1390.
- Murata, S., Ito, H., and Sopher, S., “Polyurthane Free Lightweight Automotive Seat,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7(3):655-661, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1033.
- Azizi, Y., Sundaram, V., Davies, P., and Bajaj, A., “Estimation of Nonlinear Viscoelastic Parameters from Estimated Linear Models of Behavior around Multiple Settling Points of a Foam-Mass System,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7(1):211-220, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0851.
- Barry, S.M.A., ElMaraghy, H., Line, J., and Kondrad, M., “Modular Design and Methods to Optimize Seat Complete Assemblies,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1309, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1309.