CAE Methodology for Seat Assessment with H-Point Machine
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Seat assessment is an important necessity for the growing auto industry. The design of seats is driven by customer’s demand of comfort and aesthetics of the vehicle interiors. Some of the few seat assessments are H-point prediction with H-point Machine (HPM); backset prediction with Head Restraint Measuring Device (HRMD); seat hardness and softness. Traditional seat development was through developing series of prototypes to meet requirements which involved higher costs and more time. The seat requirement of H-Point measurement is of focus in this paper. Though there are other commercial available software/methods to perform the H-point measurement simulations, the aim here was to assess the capabilities of an alternate Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) methodology using CAE tools - PRIMER and LS-Dyna. The pre-processing tools - Hypermesh and ANSA have been used for modeling and Hyperview tool used for reviewing the simulations. The CAE results show good correlation to test results and compare well to other commercial software/methods. This methodology has been beneficial in developing seat designs in the early development cycle much before the final prototype testing.
CitationManjunath, V., Tuniki, R., Kamalakkannan, S., Mathur, M. et al., "CAE Methodology for Seat Assessment with H-Point Machine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1322, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1322.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- SAE International Human Accom and Design Devices Stds Comm, “Devices for Use in Defining and Measuring Vehicle Seating Accommodation,” Standard SAE J826 Rev. Nov2008.
- Oasys Primer tool website, http://www.oasys-software.com/dyna/en/fe-models/hpm-hrmd.shtml.
- LS-Dyna website for tools and manuals, http://www.lstc.com/download/manuals.
- van Hoof, J., van Markwijk, R., Verver, M., Furtado, R. et al., “Numerical Prediction of Seating Position in Car Seats,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2168, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2168.
- Montmayeur, N., Marca, C., Dwarampudi, R., Kolich, M. et al., “Virtual Seat Manufacturing and Testing for FMVSS 202a Backset Prediction,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2460, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2460.
- Christian Amann, Thomas Klisch, André Huschenbeth, Nicole Montmayeur, et al, “Virtual seat comfort assessment,” Humans and drivers and their interaction with vehicles, VDI Congress 22-23 November 2005, Braunschweig.