This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Temperature Controlled Seat Performance Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The demand for seating comfort is growing - in cars as well as trucks and other commercial vehicles. This is expected as the seat is the largest surface area of the vehicle that is in contact with the occupant. While it is predominantly luxury cars that have been equipped with climate controlled seats, there is now a clear trend toward this feature becoming available in mid-range and compact cars. The main purpose of climate controlled seats is to create an agreeable microclimate that keeps the driver comfortable. It also reduces the “stickiness” feeling which is reported by perspiring occupants on leather-covered seats. As part of the seat design process, a physical test is performed to record and evaluate the life cycle and the performance at ambient and extreme temperatures for the climate controlled seats as well as their components. The test calls for occupied and unoccupied seats at several ambient temperatures. This paper presents the approach that was used to replace the physical test with a virtual test.
CitationDoroudian, M., Kolich, M., Almasi, G., Medoro, M. et al., "Virtual Temperature Controlled Seat Performance Test," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1317, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1317.
- Kolich , M. , Nunez , S. , Montmayeur , N. , Dwarampudi , R. , and Marca , C. Virtual Seat Manufacturing and Testing for FMVSS202a Backset Prediction SAE Paper 07 DHM-11 2007
- Kolich , M. , Nunez , S. , Montmayeur , N. , Dwarampudi , R. et al. Virtual Seat Comfort Engineering through Hardness and Initial Softness Prediction SAE Paper 07 DHM-11 2007
- Kolich , M. , Marca , C. , Dwarampudi , R. , and Cabane , C. Using Virtual Seat Prototyping to Understand the Influence of Craftsmanship on Safety, and Seating Comfort SAE International Paper 2011-01-0805 2011
- Savary , A. , Makala , J. , Montmayeur , N. , and Marca , C. 2007
- Montmayeur , N. , Haug , E. , Marca , C. , Choi , H.-Y. , and Sah , S. Numberical, and Experimental Analysis of Seating and Riding Comfort SAE Paper 04DHM-3 2004
- Marca , C. , and Borot , C. th
- Kolich , M. , Hoke , P. , Dooge , D. , Doroudian , M. et al. Influence of Temperature and Mechanical Compression on Thermophysical Properties of Car Interior Foam Plastics Insulation Journal of Elastomers & Plastics 46 2 132 143 2014