This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Influences on Self-loosening Behaviour of Multi-bolted Joint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Most studies on self-loosening behaviour of bolted joints under relative transverse movement of the clamped parts are limited to a single bolt joint. In this paper a comprehensive assessment is performed for the loosening behaviour of a multi-bolted joint with two bolts. Design influences such as material of clamped part and geometrical distance between bolts are investigated experimentally and using three dimensional finite element analysis. The importance of studying the component influence on self-loosening behaviour is highlighted using different cross sections of the clamped part. Influence of component deformation behaviour on self-loosening behaviour of the bolts are illustrated by experimental and simulation results. Risks of decomposing a multi-bolted joint into a single bolt joint for experimental investigation, such as in Junker’s test are highlighted. Emphasis is placed on simulation based assessment of self-loosening behaviour for multi-bolted joints as this is a cost effective choice at the design phase of components.
CitationManoharan, S. and Friedrich, C., "Design Influences on Self-loosening Behaviour of Multi-bolted Joint," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1231, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1231.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Junker, G.H., “New criteria for self-loosening of fasteners under vibration,” Society of Automotive Engineers314-335, 1969.
- Bickford, J.H., “Introduction to the design and behaviour of bolted joints,” 4th Edition (Marcel Dekker, 2008).
- Friedrich, C., “Designing fastening systems, Modelling and simulation for material selection and mechanical design,” 1st Edition (Marcel Dekker), 383, 2003-505.
- Sakai, T., “Bolted Joint engineering: Fundamentals and applications,” (Berlin, Beuth Verlag, 2008).
- Pai, N.G. andHess, D.P., “Three dimensional finite element analysis of threaded fastener loosening due to dynamic shear load,” Engineering Failure Analysis 9:383-402, 2001.
- Koch, D., “Beitrag zur numerischen Simulation des selbsttätigen Losdrehverhaltens von Schrauben-verbindungen,” Dissertation, Shaker Verlag, Aachen, 2012.
- Dinger, G., “Ermittlung des selbsttätigen Losdrehens bei Mehrschraubenverbindungen,” Dissertation, Shaker Verlag, Aachen, 2013.
- VDI 2230 Part-1, “Systematic calculation of high duty bolted joints with one cylindrical bolt,” (Duesseldorf, Verein Deutscher Ingenieure), 2015.
- Hareyama, S.,Manabe, K.,Nakashima, M.,Shimodaira, T. et al., “Residual Clamping Force Estimation and Lifetime Prediction to Loosening Failure of Bolted Joints,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0479, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0479.
- Manoharan, S.K. andFriedrich, C., “Self-loosening of three similar bolted joint designs using finite element analysis, Proceedings of International Conference on Automotive Materials & Manufacturing,” SAE International, paper no. 2014-28-0035, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-28-0035.
- Manoharan, S.K. andFriedrich, C., “Self-loosening behaviour of multi-bolted joints - requirements for engineering design in real applications,” Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Manufacturing, Machine Design and Tribology, paper no. TH-A-1-4, Okinawa, 2015.
- Guggolz, D.,Manoharan, S.K., andFriedrich, C., “Avoiding of self-loosening in components with multiple screw joints,” Proceedings of IMECE 2015, paper no. 50369, ASME, Houston, 2015.
- Manoharan, S.K. andFriedrich, C., “Design and reliability influences on self-loosening of multi-bolted joints,” Proceedings of International Conference on Integrity-Reliability-Failure IRF 2016, ISBN 978-989-98832-5-3, University of Porto, paper no. 6302, Porto, 2016.
- Manoharan, S.,Duempelmann, C., andFriedrich, C., “Condition Monitoring of Multi-Bolted Joints with Combination of Preload Measurement and Extended Evaluation from FEA,” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(1):385-390, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0308.
- DIN EN 1662 Hexagon bolts with flange, small series, Beuth Verlag, Berlin, 1998.
- DIN ISO 965, ISO general purpose metric screw threads- Tolerances - Part 1: Principles and basic data, 1999.
- DIN 13-20, ISO general purpose metric screw threads- Part 20, Berlin, 2000.