This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test of Inclined Double Beads on Aluminum Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Draw beads are widely used in the binder of a draw die for regulating the restraining force and control the draw-in of a metal blank. Different sheet materials and local panel geometry request different local draw bead configurations. Even the majority of draw bead is single draw bead, the alternative double draw bead does have its advantages, such as less bending damage may be brought to the sheet material and more bead geometry features available to work on. In this paper, to measure the pulling force when a piece of sheet metal passing through a draw bead on an inclined binder, the AA5XXX and AA6XXX materials were tested and its strain were measured with a digital image correlation (DIC) system. Five different types of double bead configurations were tested. The beads are installed in a Stretch-Bend-Draw-System (SBDS) test device. The clearance between a male and a female bead is 10% thicker than the sheet material. A tensile machine was used to record the pulling force. The comparison of pulling force and strain are reported in this paper. These experiment results can be used to validate the results of FEA simulation. It was found that the pulling force of a double bead is more sensitive than the single bead. Details of the sensitivity were illustrated and discussed in the paper.
CitationZhang, B., Xu, W., Yang, G., Li, J. et al., "Test of Inclined Double Beads on Aluminum Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1221, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1221.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Demeri, M.Y. et al., “Drawbeads in sheet metal forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 59:10-17, 1996.
- H Naceur, Y.Q., Guo, J.L., and Batoz, C., “Knopf-Lenoir, Optimization of drawbead restraining forces and drawbead design in sheet metal forming process,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 43(10):2407-2434, 2001.
- Samuel, M., “Influence of drawbead geometry on sheet metal forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 122(1):94-103, 2002.
- Nine, H.D., “Drawbead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming,” . In: Koistinen D.P., Wang N.M., editors. Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming. (Boston, MA, Springer, 1978).
- Nine, H.D., “New Drawbead Concepts for Sheet Metal Forming J,” Applied Metal Working 2(3):185-192, 1982.
- Smith, L.M., Zhou, Y.J., Zhou, D.J., Du, C., and Wanintrudal, C., “A new experimental test apparatus for angle binder draw bead simulations,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209(10):4942-4948, 2009.
- Keum, Y.T., Ghoo, B.Y., and Kim, J.H., “Application of an expert drawbead model to the finite element simulation of sheet forming processes,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 111, 1-3:155-158, 2001.
- Hosford, W. and Caddell, R., “Metal Forming-Mechanics and Metallurgy,” 2nd Edition (Prentice Hall Publisher, 1993).
- Hu, S.J., Marciniak, Z., and Duncan, J., “Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming,” (Edward Arnold Publisher, 2002).
- Keum, Y.T., Ghoo, B.Y., and Kim, J.H., “Application of an expert drawbead model to the finite element simulation of sheet forming processes,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 111:155-158, 2001.
- Li, J., Dan, X., Wan, X., Wang, Y. et al., “3D digital image correlation using single color camera pseudo-stereo system,” Optics & Laser Technology951-7, 2017.
- Li, J., Xie, X., Yang, G., Zhang, B. et al., “Whole-field thickness strain measurement using multiple camera digital image correlation system,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 90:19-25, 2017.
- Li, J., Yang, R., Li, Z., Changqing, D. et al., “Effect of Pre-Strain on Edge Cracking Limit for Advanced High-Strength Steel Using Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0394, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0394.
- Xu, W., Yang, G. et al., “A New Measurement of Aluminum Alloy Edge Stretching Limit Based on Digital Image Correlation Method,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0364, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0364.
- Li, J., Xu, W., Xie, X., Siebert, T., and Yang, L., “Experimental study of FLD0 for aluminum alloy using digital image correlation with modified ISO method,” International Journal of Materials Research 107(3):245-253, 2016.