This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Shearographic Nondestructive Testing for High-Pressure Composite Tubes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In response to the need for lightweight design in industries, composite materials are increasingly used to replace traditional metal tubes. However, subsurface defects such as voids, delaminations, and microcracks are still remaining common issues in composite pressure tubes. This paper introduces an application of Digital Shearography method in the Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) of high-pressure composite tubes. A new prototype high-pressure composite tube with a working pressure of 1000 psi range is tested using the digital Shearography method. To detect the sub-surface defects, a reference Shearographic phase map is created at 0 psi state, after that the composite tube is pressured using an oil pump, then the second Shearographic phase map is created at the pressured state. By subtracting the two shearographic phase maps created in different pressure state, the sub-surface defects can be identified clearly. The Shearographic NDT result is then compared with CT scan result. The Shearographic NDT fundamentals, optimization of Shearographic NDT setup for high rigidity objects, experiment setup, and testing results are shown in detail in this paper.
CitationXie, X. and Zhou, Z., "Shearographic Nondestructive Testing for High-Pressure Composite Tubes," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1219, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1219.
- Petersen , E.L. and Hanson , R.K. Nonideal Effects behind Reflected Shock Waves in a High-Pressure Shock Tube Shock Waves 10 6 405 420 2001
- Lang , L.H. , Wang , Z.R. , Kang , D.C. , Yuan , S.J. et al. Hydroforming Highlights: Sheet Hydroforming and Tube Hydroforming Journal of Materials Processing Technology 151 1 165 177 2004
- Boyer , R.R. An Overview on the Use of Titanium in the Aerospace Industry Materials Science and Engineering: A 213 1-2 103 114 1996
- Li , G.Y. , Wang , P.M. , and Zhao , X. Pressure-Sensitive Properties and Microstructure of Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Cement Composites Cement and Concrete Composites 29 5 377 382 2007
- Djordjevic , B.B. Nondestructive test technology for the composites The 10th International Conference of the Slovenian Society for Non-destructive Testing 2009 259 265
- Newman , John W. Aerospace NDT with advanced laser shearography 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing 2008 25 28
- Xie , X. , Yang , L. , Xu , N. , and Xu , C. Michelson Interferometer Based Spatial Phase Shift Shearography Applied Optics 52 17 4063 4071 2013
- Steinchen , W. and Yang , L. Digital Shearography: Theory and Application of Digital Speckle Pattern Shearing Interferometry 93 Bellingham SPIE Press 2003
- Steinchen , W. , Yang , L. , Kupfer , G. , and Mäckel , P. Non-destructive Testing of Aerospace Composite Materials Using Digital Shearography Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering 212 1 21 30 1998
- Hung , Y.Y. , Chen , Y.S. , Ng , S.P. , Liu , L. et al. Review and Comparison of Shearography and Active Thermography for Nondestructive Evaluation Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports 64 5 73 112 2009
- Yang , L. and Xie , X. Digital Shearography: New Developments and Applications 31 Bellingham SPIE Press 2016
- Yang , L. , Chen , F. , Steinchen , W. , and Hung , M.Y. Digital Shearography for Nondestructive Testing: Potentials, Limitations, and Applications Journal of Holography and Speckle 1 2 69 79 2004