This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Application of Digital Image Correlation (DIC) Method in Large-Scale I-Beams Bending Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
AASHTO I-Beam is a standard structural concrete part for bridge sections. The flexural performance of an AASHTO I-Beam is critical for bridge design. This paper presents an application of Digital Image Correlation (DIC) Method in full-scale AASHTO I-Beam flexural performance study. A full-scale AASHTO I-Beam pre-stressed with steel strands is tested by three-point bending method. The full-scale AASHTO I-Beam is first loaded from 0 kips to 100 kips and is then released from 100 kips to 0 kips. A dual-camera 3D Digital Image Correlation (DIC) system is used to measure the deflection and strain distribution during the testing. From the DIC results, the micro-crack generation progress during the loading progress can be observed clearly from the measured DIC strain map. To enable such a large-scale DIC measurement, the used DIC setup is optimized in terms of the optical imaging system and speckle pattern size. The DIC fundamentals, optimization of DIC setup for large-scale measurement, experiment setup and testing results are shown in detail in this paper.
- Xin Xie - Lawrence Technological University
- Nabil Grace - Lawrence Technological University
- Marc Kasabasic - Lawrence Technological University
- Kirtan Patel - Lawrence Technological University
- Chukiang Fong-Ramirez - Lawrence Technological University
- Ezekiel Ababio - Lawrence Technological University
CitationXie, X., Grace, N., Kasabasic, M., Patel, K. et al., "An Application of Digital Image Correlation (DIC) Method in Large-Scale I-Beams Bending Test," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1218, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1218.
- Grace, N., Jensen, E., Matsagar, V., and Penjendra, P., “Performance of an AASHTO Beam Bridge Prestressed with CFRP Tendons,” Journal of Bridge Engineering 18(2):110-121, 2013.
- Yousif, Z. and Hindi, R., “AASHTO-LRFD Live Load Distribution for Beam-and-Slab Bridges: Limitations and Applicability,” Journal of Bridge Engineering 12(6):765-773, 2007.
- Deatherage, J.H., Burdette, E.G., and Chew, C.K., “Development Length and Lateral Spacing Requirements of Prestressing Strand for Prestressed Concrete Bridge Girders,” PCI Journal 39(1):70-83, 1994.
- Grace, N.F., Jensen, E.A., Eamon, C.D., and Shi, X., “Life-Cycle Cost Analysis of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforced Concrete Bridges,” ACI Structural Journal 109(5):697, 2012.
- Chu, T.C., Ranson, W.F., and Sutton, M.A., “Applications of Digital-Image-Correlation Techniques to Experimental Mechanics,” Experimental Mechanics 25(3):232-244, 1985.
- Chen, F., Xu, C., Xie, X., Feng, X., and Yang, L., “Full-Field 3D Measurement Using Multi-Camera Digital Image Correlation System,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 51(9):1044-1052, 2013.
- Chen, X., Xie, X., Sun, J., and Yang, L., “Full Field Strain Measurement of Punch-Stretch Tests Using Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 5(2):345-351, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0183.
- Xie, X., Li, J., Sia, B., Bai, T. et al., “An Experimental Validation of Volume Conservation Assumption for Aluminum Alloy Sheet Metal Using Digital Image Correlation Method,” The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design 52(1):24-29, 2017.
- Xie, X., Changqing, D., Li, X., Chen, Y.-H. et al., “Measurement of Aluminum Edge Stretching Limit Using 3D Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0594, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0594.
- Helfrick, M.N., Niezrecki, C., Avitabile, P., and Schmidt, T., “3D Digital Image Correlation Methods for Full-Field Vibration Measurement,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 25(3):917-927, 2011.
- Schreier, H., Orteu, J.-J., and Sutton, M.A., “Image Correlation for Shape, Motion and Deformation Measurements,” (Springer US, 2009).
- Orteu, J.-J., Florian, B., Harvent, J., Robert, L., and Velay, V., “Multiple-Camera Instrumentation of a Single Point Incremental Forming Process Pilot for Shape and 3D Displacement Measurements: Methodology And Results,” Experimental Mechanics 51(4):625-639, 2011.
- Wikipedia, “Depth of Field,” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field, accessed Oct 2017.