This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancing Cruise Controllers through Finite-Horizon Driving Mission Optimization for Passenger Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the last few years, several studies have proved the benefits of exploiting information about the road topography ahead of the vehicle to adapt vehicle cruising for fuel consumption reduction. Recent technologies have brought on-board more road information enabling the optimization of the driving profile for fuel economy improvement.
In the present paper, a cruise controller able to lowering vehicle fuel consumption taking into account the characteristics of the road the vehicle is traveling through is presented. The velocity profile is obtained by minimizing via discrete dynamic programming the energy spent to move the vehicle. In order to further enhance vehicle fuel efficiency, also the gear shifting schedule is optimized, allowing to avoid useless gear shifts and choose the most suitable gear to match current road load and keeping the engine in its maximum efficiency range. Despite the optimality of the solution provided, dynamic programming entails high computational time. Moreover, it is unlikely to have the a-priori knowledge of the entire route. To deal with these issues, the optimization problem is solved over a receding horizon of finite length following a model predictive scheme, balancing the sub-optimality of the solution and the computational burden.
The controller is assessed by means of simulations for a passenger car in several urban and highway driving scenarios, taking into account for fuel consumption reduction and changes in travel time.
CitationD'Amato, A., Donatantonio, F., Arsie, I., and Pianese, C., "Enhancing Cruise Controllers through Finite-Horizon Driving Mission Optimization for Passenger Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1180, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1180.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Arsie , I. , Graziosi , M. , Pianese , C. , Rizzo , G. et al. Control Strategy Optimization for Hybrid Electric Vehicles via Provisional Load Estimate Review of Automotive Engineering 260 3 2005
- Hellström , E. , Froberg , A. , and Nielsen , L. A Real-Time Fuel-Optimal Cruise Controller for Heavy Trucks Using Road Topography Information SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0008 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0008
- Hellström , E. , Åslund , J. , and Nielsen , L. Design of an Efficient Algorithm for Fuel-Optimal Look-Ahead Control Control Engineering Practice 180 11 1318 1327 2010
- Donatantonio , F. , D’Amato , A. , Arsie , I. , and Pianese , C. A Multi-Layer Control Hierarchy for Heavy Duty Vehicles with Off-Line Dual-Stage Dynamic Programming Optimization Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 2017
- D’Amato , A. , Donatantonio , F. , Arsie , I. , and Pianese , C. Development of a Cruise Controller Based on Current Road Load Information with Integrated Control of Variable Velocity Set-Point and Gear Shifting SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0089 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0089
- Frberg , A. , Hellstrm , E. , and Nielsen , L. Explicit Fuel Optimal Speed Profiles for Heavy Trucks on a Set of Topographic Road Profiles SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1071 04 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1071
- Thomasson , A , Eriksson , L , Ekberg , K , Reig , A et al. Look-Ahead Controls of Heavy Duty Trucks on Open Roads - Six Benchmark Solutions Control Engineering Practice 2017
- Wollaeger , J. , Kumar , S.A. , Onori , S. et al. Cloud-Computing Based Velocity Profile Generation for Minimum Fuel Consumption: A Dynamic Programming Based Solution Proceedings of the American Control Conference 2108 2113 2012
- Ozatay , E. , Onori , S. , Wollaeger , J. et al. Cloud-Based Velocity Profile Optimization for Everyday Driving: A Dynamic-Programming-Based Solution IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 150 6 2491 2505 2014
- Zhang , J. , Wu , Y. , Shen , T. , and Fan , J. Logical Stochastic Optimization Approach to Energy Management of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle 2017 36th Chinese Control Conference (CCC) 9497 9501 2017
- Hellström , E. , Ivarsson , M. , Åslund , J. , and Nielsen , L. Look-Ahead Control for Heavy Trucks to Minimize Trip Time and Fuel Consumption Control Engineering Practice 170 2 0 245 254 2009
- Hellström , E. , Åslund , J , and Nielsen , L. Horizon Length and Fuel Equivalents for Fuel-Optimal Look-Ahead Control IFAC Proceedings Volumes 430 7 360 365 2010 6th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control
- D’Amato , A. , Pianese , C. , Arsie , I. , Armeni , S. et al. Development and On-Board Testing of an ADAS-Based Methodology to Enhance Cruise Control Features Towards CO2 Reduction 2017 5th IEEE International Conference on Models and Technologies for Intelligent Transportation Systems (MT-ITS) 503 508 2017
- Sundström , O. and Guzzella , L. A Generic Dynamic Programming Matlab Function 2009 IEEE Control Applications, (CCA) Intelligent Control, (ISIC) 1625 1630 2009
- Elbert , P. , Ebbesen , S. , and Guzzella , L. Implementation of Dynamic Programming for n -Dimensional Optimal Control Problems with Final State Constraints IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 210 3 2013