This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predictive Energy Optimization for Connected and Automated HEVs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Connected and automated vehicles (CAVs) have the potential to eliminate road vehicle collisions and other traffic incidences. Whilst the main motivation for the introduction of vehicular communication systems is to improve safety, they also provide opportunities to reduce CO2 and other harmful pollutant emissions as well as transportation energy costs. Vehicle communication link with other automobiles and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), when combined with the use of on-board high definition navigation maps, enable the vehicle control systems to optimize their operation and streamline traffic flow. This paper presents the development and evaluation of proof of concept control algorithms which optimize the vehicle’s propulsive energy consumption. Consideration is also given to journey time and other drivability and autonomous driving attributes and constraints. A two-stage optimization approach is used to optimize the ego-vehicle speed trajectory and powertrain state of a Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), within a receding prediction horizon. The control algorithm is based on the Dynamic Programming (DP) optimization method. The algorithm calculates upper and lower speed constraints that have to be respected by the ego-vehicle in the optimization window. The speed constraints are updated dynamically. They account for static road features and time-varying events as dictated by the road traffic situation and traffic light phasing. The developed functions could be deployed as part of an Economy (ECO) setting of an autonomous feature which holistically delivers a set of functionalities equivalent to the combined operation of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Green Light Optimized Speed Advisory (GLOSA), and Traffic Jam Assist (TJA). Alternatively, the function could be used to coach the driver to follow a target speed, and indicate when to lift off the accelerator pedal or when to change gear.
CitationPlianos, A., Jokela, T., and Hancock, M., "Predictive Energy Optimization for Connected and Automated HEVs," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1179, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1179.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Serrao, L., Onori, S., and Rizzoni, G. , “ECMS as a Realization of Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle for HEV Control,” presented at American Control Conference, 2009.
- Musardo, C., Rizzoni, G., Guezennec, Y., and Staccia, B. , “A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management,” European Journal of Control 11(4-5):509-524, 2005.
- Dextreit, C. and Kolmanovsky, I. , “Game Theory Controller for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 22(2):652-663, 2014.
- Borhan, H., Vahidi, A., Phillips, A., Kuang, M. et al. , “MPC-based Energy Management of a Power-split Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 20(3):593-603.
- Zeng, X. and Wang, J. , “A Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management Strategy Using Stochastic Model Predictive Control with Road Grade Preview,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 23(6):2416-2423, 2015.
- Karbowski, D., Kim, N., and Rousseau, A. , “Route-based Online Energy Management of a PHEV and Sensitivity to Trip Prediction,” presented at Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2014.
- Zhang, C. and Vahidi, A. , “Route Preview in Energy Management of Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology , 2011.
- Katsargyri, G., Kolmanovsky, I., Michelini, J. , Kuang, M. et al. , “Optimally Controlling Hybrid Electric Vehicles Using Path Forecasting,” presented at American Control Conference, 2009.
- Heppeler, G., Sonntag, M., Wohlhaupter, U., and Sawodny, O. , “Predictive Planning of Optimal Velocity and State of Charge Trajectories for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Control Eng. Practice 61:229-243, 2015.
- Li, Y., and Ishikawa, Y. , “Power Management Systems and Methods in a Hybrid Vehicle,” U.S. Patent 8,190,318, May 29, 2012.
- Rios-Torres, J. and Malikopoulos, A. , “A Survey on the Coordination of Connected and Automated Vehicles at Intersections and Merging at Highway On-ramps,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 18(5):1066-1077, 2017.
- Eckhoff, D., Hamos, B., and German, R. “Potentials and Limitations of Green Light Optimal Speed Advisory Systems,” presented at IEEE Vehicle Networking Conference, 2013.
- Lebre, M., Le Mouel, F., Ménard, E., Garnault, A. et al. , “Real Scenario and Simulations on GLOSA Traffic Light System for Reduced CO2 Emissions, Waiting Time and Travel Time,” presented at ITS World Congress, 2015.
- Markschlager, P., Wahl, H., Weberbauer, F., and Lederer, M. , “Assistance System for Higher Fuel Efficiency,” Auto Tech Review, Vol. 1, Issue 12, 2012, oo. 40-45
- Levermore, M., Sahinkaya, N., Zweiri, Y., and Neaves, B. , “Real-Time Velocity Optimization to Minimize Energy Use in Passenger Vehicles,” Energies 10:30, 2017.
- Luu, H., Nouveliere, L., and Mammar, S. , “Dynamic Programming for Fuel Consumption Optimization on Light Vehicle,” presented at 6th IFAC Symposium Advances in Automotive Control, 2010.
- Wahl, H., and Gauterin, F. , “An Iterative Dynamic Programming Approach for the Global Optimal Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles under Real-time Constraints,” presented at IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2013.
- Wahl, H., Bauer, K., Gauterin, F., and Holfzapfel, M. , “A Real-time Capable Enhanced Dynamic Programming Approach for Predictive Optimal Cruise Control in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” presented at the 16th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2013.
- Jones, S., Huss, A., Kural, E., Albrecht, R. et al. , “Optimal Electric Vehicle Energy Efficiency & Recovery in an Intelligent Transport System,” presented at 19th ITS World Congress, 2012.
- Stapelbroek, M., Pfluger, J., Abel, J., Orgzewalla, J. et al. , “Dynamic Speed Trajectory Optimisation for Achieving Real World Optimum Energy Consumption,” presented at 36th FISITA World Automotive Congress, 2016.
- Kolmanovsky, I., and Filev, D. , “Terrain and Traffic Optimized Vehicle Speed Control,” presented at 6th IFAC Symposium in Automotive Control, 2010.
- Qi, X., Wu, G., Hao, P., Boriboonsomsin, K. et al. , “Integrated Connected Eco-driving System for PHEVs with Co-optimization of Vehicle Dynamics and Powertrain Operations,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles , 2017.
- Guzzella, L., and Sciarretta, A. , “Vehicle propulsion systems,” (Springer, 2007), ISBN 978-3-540-74691-1.
- Elbert, P., Ebbesen, S., and Guzzella, L. , “Implementation of Dynamic Programming for N -dimensional Optimal Control Problems with Final State Constraints,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 21(3):924-931, 2013.
- Bellman, R. , “Dynamic programming,” (Courier Corporation, 2013).
- Heppeler, G., Sonntag, M., Wohlhaupter, U., and Sawodny, O. , “Predictive Planning of Optimal Velocity and State of Charge Trajectories for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Control Engineering Practice 61:229-243, 2017.
- Wang, J., Gu, Q., Wu, J., Liu, G. et al. , “Traffic Speed Prediction and Congestion Source Exploration: A Deep Learning Method,” presented at International Conference on Data Mining, 2016.
- Jiang, B., and Fei, Y. , “Traffic and Vehicle Speed Prediction with Neural Network and Hidden Markov Model in Vehicular Networks,” presented at Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2015.