This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crank Shaft Torsional Vibration Analysis on the perspective of Improving the Crank Angle Measurement Accuracy for Closed-loop Combustion Control in ICES
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Crank shaft torsional vibration has impact on the crank angle measurement accuracy in large-bore Internal Combustion Engines (ICE). In large bore engine, the torsional vibration angular displacement can be up to 1 degree, which in turn can cause a fault of 2 bar in Indicated Mean Effective Pressure (IMEP) and a fault of 0.6 degrees in the Crank Angle of 50% burned (CA50). IMEP and CA50 are critical feedback parameters for closed-loop combustion control, therefore to compensate torsional vibration effect in real-time engine control system can not only provide higher accuracy crank angle data but especially improve the combustion analysis and closed-loop control accuracy. Thus, in this work, a torsional vibration dynamic model is established to improve the accuracy of the crank angle measurement. A lumped parameter model of torsional vibration is established for a Wärtsilä engine, the numerical computing method is determined, harmonic analysis is applied, the Transfer Matrix Method (TMM) result is verified with flexible Multibody Simulation (MBS) calculation and the accuracy of the torsional vibration model is estimated. For the trial of online crank angle correcting, the computation time of this model was found to be around 300 to 400 times heavier as IMEP calculation. A direct IMEP correcting model based on a linear dependence of cylinder number with an accuracy of ±0.1 bar compared with the reference was proposed.
Based on all those results, it is concluded that the TMM method can calculate the angular displacement from torsional vibration with high accuracy and correct the crank angle measurement from cylinder-wise and crank angle wise, and the torsional vibration calculation resolution needs to be considered based on performance and calculation capacity.
CitationStorm, X., Hyvonen, J., Salminen, H., Virrankoski, R. et al., "Crank Shaft Torsional Vibration Analysis on the perspective of Improving the Crank Angle Measurement Accuracy for Closed-loop Combustion Control in ICES," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1161, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1161.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Nestorides, E.J. , “A Handbook on Torsional Vibration,” (Cambridge University Press, 1958), doi:978-0-521-20352-4.
- Homik, W. , “Torsional vibration silencers used in vessels propulsion systems,” Scientific journals Maritime University of Szczecin 40(112):9-16, 2014.
- Homik, W. , “Damping of torsional vibrations of ship engine crankshafts - general selection methods of viscous vibration damper,” Polish Maritime Research 18:43-47, 2011, doi:10.2478/v10012-011-0016-9.
- Ker Wilson, W. , “Practical solution of torsional vibration problems,” (Chapman & Hall, 1963).
- Sood, A.K. and Friedlander, C.B. , “Engine Fault Analysis: Part I - Statistical Methods,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron IE-32, 4:294-300, 1985.
- Rezeka, S.A. , “A Diagnostic Technique for the identification of Misfiring Cylinder(s),” SAE Technical Paper 870546 , 1987, doi:10.4271/870546.
- Plapp, G.K. , “Methods of On-Board Misfire Detection,” SAE Technical Paper 900232 , 1990, doi:10.4271/900232.
- Förster, J.L.-M. , “Advanced Engine Misfire Detection for SI-Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 970855 , 1997, doi:10.4271/970855.
- Citron, S.O. , “Cylinder by Cylinder Engine Pressure and Pressure Torque Waveform Determination Utilizing Speed Fluctuations,” SAE Technical Paper 890486 , 1989, doi:10.4271/890486.
- Lim, B.L. , “Estimation of the Cylinder Pressure in a SI Engine Using the Variation of Crankshaft Speed,” SAE Technical Paper 940145 , 1994, doi:10.4271/940145.
- Mihelc, W.A. , “An On-Line Engine Roughness Measurement Technique,” SAE Technical Paper 840136 , 1984, doi:10.4271/840136.
- Iida, K., Akishino, K., and Kido, K. , “IMEP Estimation from Instantaneous Crankshaft Torque Variation,” SAE Technical Paper 900617 , 1990, doi:10.4271/900617.
- Xingyu, L., Gequn, S., Lihui, D., Bin, W., and Kang, Y. , “ Progress and Recent Trends in the Torsional Vibration of Internal Combustion Engine ,” . In: Ebrahimi F. , editor. Advances in Vibration Analysis Research. (InTech, 2011), doi:10.5772/16222.
- Dereszewski, M. , “Monitoring of Torsional Vibration of a Crankshaft by Instaneous Angular Speed Observations,” Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport 23(1):107-114, 2016, doi:10.5604/12314005.1213528.
- Nerubenko, G. , “Tuned Torsional Vibration Damper,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1897 , 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1897.
- Ying, H., Shouping, Y., Fujun, Z., Changlu, Z. et al. , “Non-linear Torsional Vibration Characteristics of an Internal Combustion Engine Crankshaft Assembly,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 25(4):797-808, 2012, doi:10.3901/CJME.2012.04.797.
- Charchalis, L.M. , “Simplified method of torsional vibration calculation of marine power transmission system,” Marine Structures 335-349, 2014.
- Murawski, L. and Charchalis, A. , “Simplified method of torsional vibration calculation of marine power transmission system,” Marine Structures 39:335-349, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.marstruc.2014.10.004.
- Dąbrowski, Z., Chiliński, B., and Pankiewicz, J. , “A proposition of a torsional/bending vibrations modelling of combustion engines,” Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport 23(4):71-77, 2016, doi:10.5604/12314005.1217191.
- Li, T., Shi, C., Tan, Y., and Zhou, Z. , “Fiber Bragg Grating Sensing-Based Online Torque Detection on Coupled Bending and Torsional Detection on Coupled Bending and Torsional Vibration of Rotating Shaft,” IEEE SENSORS JOURNAL 17(7):2017, 1999-2007, doi:10.1109/JSEN.2017.2669528.
- Huang, Q., Yan, X., Wang, Y., Zhanga, C., and Wang, Z. , “Numerical modeling and experimental analysis on coupled torsional-longitudinal vibrations of a ship's propeller shaft,” Ocean Engineering 136:272-282, 2017.
- Split, U.O ., “Transient Torsional Vibration Analysis of Marine Propulsion Plants ” 2014, Retrieved from https://bib.irb.hr/datoteka/718799.Transient_torsional_vibration_analysis_of_marine_propulsion_plants_-_Sorta_2014.pdf .
- Xiaoyong, L., Tiexiong, S., and Yi, Z. , “Numerical Analysis and Improvement of Torsional Vibration of Shaft Systems for Engine with Cylinder Deactivation,” Computer modelling & new Technologies 18(2):76-82, 2014.
- Xiaoguo, S., Jari, H., Heikki, S., Reino, V., and Seppo, N. , “Analysis of Cylinder Pressure Measurement Accuracy for Internal Combustion Engine Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1067 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1067.
- Lei Fan, Shaoping Wang, Chao Zhang, and Mileta Tomovic , “Torsional vibration analysis of a high-speed internal turbine-gearbox using a transfer matrix method.” 2015 IEEE 10th Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), 2015.
- Inman, J. and Daniel , “ Engineering Vibration ,” (Pearson Education International, 2001), doi:013-0174483.