This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Control and Spark Optimization of a Propane Fuel System for an Engine-Generator System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As climate change drives the exploration into new and alternative fuels, biodiesel has emerged as a promising alternative to traditional diesel fuel. To further increase the viability of biodiesel, a unique system at the University of Kansas utilizes glycerin, the primary byproduct of biodiesel production, for power generation. This system converts glycerin into a hydrogen-rich gas (syngas) that is sent to an engine-generator system in one continuous flow process. The current setup allows for running the engine-generator system on pure propane, reformed propane, or reformed glycerin, with each fuel serving a unique purpose. This paper discusses upgrades in pure propane operation that serves the intent of preheating the engine prior to syngas operation and establishing the baseline energy requirement for fueling the system. The current upgrade to the fuel system incorporates an Electric Fuel Valve (EFV) as a replacement for a gaseous propane carburetor, providing the ability for Air-to-Fuel Ratio (AFR) adjustment of the engine at different generator loads. The use of EFV in a continuous fuel additive manner provides a solution to the carburetor’s inherent disadvantage: maintaining a constant AFR. Hence, this upgrade allows the system to adjust more accurately to different engine operating conditions and other unique fuels to be potentially tested (e.g., natural gas and biogas). Moreover, spark timing optimization accompanies the new fuel control in order to enhance engine performance and maximize fuel economy. Finally, in-cylinder pressure traces and associated performance parameters are reviewed and discussed in order to analyze the operation of the new EFV-based system.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Diesel Fuels|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Some Synthetic Fuels on the Performance and Emissions in a Wankel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Emissions Performance of Bi-fuel CNG and Bi-fuel LPG Passenger Cars Using Sequential Multi-point Injection Systems|
CitationAlZeeby, K. and Depcik, C., "Fuel Control and Spark Optimization of a Propane Fuel System for an Engine-Generator System," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1141.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, "Biodiesel Technical Highlights", Office of Transportation and Air Quality: National Service Center for Environmental Publications, EPA-420-F-10-009, 2010, http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P1006V0I.pdf
- Allenman, T. L., and R. L.McCormick, "Biodiesel Handling and Use Guide (Fifth Edition)", United States Department of Energy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, DOE/GO-102016-4875, 2016, http://biodiesel.org/docs/using-hotline/nrel-handling-and-use.pdf?sfvrsn=4
- Churkunti, P., Mattson, J.M., and Depcik, C., “Influence of Fuel Injection Pressure and Biodiesel upon NOx Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0877, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0877.
- United States Department of Energy, "U.S. Biodiesel Production, Exports, and Consumption", U.S. Energy Information Administration: EIA Monthly Energy Review, Table 10.4, 2017, https://www.afdc.energy.gov/data/10325
- Johnson, D.T. and Taconi, K.A., “The Glycerin Glut: Options for the Value-added Conversion of Crude Glycerol Resulting from Biodiesel Production,” Environmental Progress 26(4):338-348, 2007, doi:10.1002/ep.10225.
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, "Biofuel Co-products as Livestock Feed: Opportunities and Challenges", Edited by Harinder P.S., Rome, 2012, http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i3009e/i3009e.pdf
- Kumar, P., Mehariya, S., Ray, S., Mishra, A., and Kalia, V.C., “Biodiesel Industry Waste: A Potential Source of Bioenergy and Biopolymers,” Indian Journal of Microbiology 55(1):1-7, 2015, doi:10.1007/s12088-014-0509-1.
- Cecrle, E. D., "Controls and Measurements of KU Engine Test Cells for Biodiesel, SynGas, and Assisted Biodiesel Combustion", Master of Science, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 2011.
- Pickett, D. K. and Depcik, C. D., "Combustion of Reformed Propane as Segue to Glycerin Reforming", ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Paper No. IMECE2013-62355, 2013, doi: 10.1115/IMECE2013-62355.
- Das, L., Gulati, R., and Gupta, P., “Performance Evaluation of a Hydrogen-Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine using Electronically Controlled Solenoid-actuated Injection System,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25(6):569-579, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0360-3199(99)00059-2.
- Das, L., Gulati, R., and Gupta, P.K., “A Comparative Evaluation of the Performance Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine using Hydrogen and Compressed Natural Gas as Alternative Fuels,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25(8):783-793, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0360-3199(99)00103-2.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam, A., and Crookes, R., “Natural-Gas Fueled Spark-Ignition (SI) and Compression-Ignition (CI) Engine Performance and Emissions,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37(1):89-112, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2010.04.002.
- Cho, H.M. and He, B.-Q., “Spark Ignition Natural Gas Engines-A Review,” Energy Conversion and Management 48(2):608-618, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2006.05.023.
- Zeng, K., Huang, Z., Liu, B., Liu, L. et al., “Combustion Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Natural Gas Engine Under Various Fuel Injection Timings,” Applied Thermal Engineering 26(8):806-813, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.10.011.
- Jeong, C., Kim, T., Lee, K., Song, S., and Chun, K.M., “Generating Efficiency and Emissions of a Spark-Ignition Gas Engine Generator Fuelled with Biogas-Hydrogen Blends,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34(23):9620-9627, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.09.099.
- Van Blarigan, P., "Advanced Internal Combustion Electrical Generator", Proceedings of the 2002 DOE Hydrogen Program Review, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, NREL/CP-610-32405, 2002, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.539.4625&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Heywood, J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” (New York, McGraw-Hill, 1988).
- Quader, A.A., “Lean Combustion and the Misfire Limit in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 741055, 1974, doi:10.4271/741055.
- Karim, G. and Wierzba, I., “Experimental and Analytical Studies of the Lean Operational Limits in Methane Fuelled Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 891637, 1989, doi:10.4271/891637.
- Woodward, Inc., "Woodward L-Series Integrated Speed Control: Installation and Operation Manual", Product Manual 26250, 2014, http://woodward.com/searchpublications.aspx
- IMPCO Technologies, Inc., "Carburetion Theory and Operation", 2010, http://www.impco.ws/pdf/MASTER%20CATALOG%2010-10.pdf
- Jensen, B., Oprea, R., Westerdale, T., and Hussain, S., “The Design and Development of a Dedicated Propane Fuel System for the General Motors Medium Duty Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 981921, 1998, doi:10.4271/981921.
- Sundar, D., VenuMadhav, S., Srinivasan, B., Govindarajan, S. et al., “Electronic Control of Air/Fuel Ratios in a Carburettor for 2-Wheeler Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0057, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-28-0057.
- PNG Technologies, "PNG Technologies Parts Catalog and Service Manual", 2017, http://www.pngtechnologies.com/PNG_Catalog.pdf
- Assured Automation, "Assured Automation V4 Series Electric Valve Actuators (EV1S1V1)", 2017, https://assuredautomation.com/literature/V4_datasheet.pdf
- Mangus, M. D., "Design, Construction, and Validation of an In-cylinder Pressure Recording System for Internal Combustion Engine Analysis", Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 2012.
- Reader's Digest Association, "Reader's Digest Complete Car Care Manual", Reader's Digest Association (Canada) in Conjunction with the Canadian Automobile Association, Pleasantville, 1981.
- Pickett, D., "Design and Operation of the Synthesis Gas Generator System for Reformed Propane and Glycerin Combustion", Master of Science, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 2013.
- Wanklyn, N., "Advanced Spark Timing for Syngas Power Production", Master of Science (non-thesis), Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrernce, KS, 2011.
- Dynamic EFI, "Dynamic EFI EBL Flash System", 2017, http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php
- Mansur, M., "The Basics of Creating an ECU File (or Any Definition File) from a Hack", 2017, http://tunerpro.net/tutorials/CreatingECUs.htm
- General Motors Corporation, “Light Duty Trucks Service Manual,” (Warren, 1990).
- Denton, T., “Automobile Electrical and Electronic Systems,” (New York, Routledge, 2012).
- IMPCO Technologies, Inc., "Material Handling & Industrial Engine Gaseous Fuel Training Manual", 1998, http://saimlease.net/SAIMLINTRA/intranet/Hyundai/std.manate/moteurs%20thermiques/IMPCO%20Training%20Manual.pdf
- NGVI North America, "Streamline Fuel Systems for LPG and Natural Gas Engines.", 2017, http://www.ngvina.com/streamline/pdfs/streamline-complete-products-catalog.pdf
- Gupta, H.N., “Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engines,” (New Delhi, PHI Learning Private Limited, 2009).
- Jang, J., Yeom, K., and Bae, C., “Effects of Exhaust Throttling on Engine Performance and Residual Gas in an SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2974, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2974.
- Robert Bosch GmbH, “Bosch Automotive Handbook,” . Eighth Edition (Plochingen, 2011).
- Taylor, C.F., “The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice: Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design,” . Vol. 2 (Cambridge, MA, MIT Press, 1985).