This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Design and Control Optimization of a Series Hybrid Military Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper investigates the fuel saving potential of a series hybrid military truck using a simultaneous battery pack design and powertrain supervisory control optimization algorithm. The design optimization refers to the sizing of the Lithium-ion battery pack in the hybridized configuration. On the other hand, the powertrain supervisory control optimization finds the most efficient way to split power demands between the battery pack and the engine. Most of the previous literatures implement them separately. In contrast, combining the sizing and energy management problem into a single optimization problem produces the global optimal solution. This study proposes a novel unified framework to couple Genetic Algorithm (GA) with Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle (PMP) to determine the battery pack sizing and the power split control sequence simultaneously. As GA and PMP are global optimization methodologies under suitable conditions, the results can be regarded as benchmark results for the application under study. Military drive cycles were further applied under the simultaneous optimization framework to evaluate the impact of different driving conditions.
CitationLiu, Z., Mamun, A., and Onori, S., "Simultaneous Design and Control Optimization of a Series Hybrid Military Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1109, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1109.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Kramer, D.M. and Parker, G.G. , “Current State of Military Hybrid Vehicle Development,” International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 3(4):369-387, 2011.
- Rizzo, D.M . “Military Vehicle Optimization, and Control,” Michigan Technological University, 2014.
- Chan, C.C. , “The State of the Art of Electric, Hybrid, and Fuel Cell Vehicles,” Proceedings of the IEEE 95(4):704-718, 2007.
- Gao, W. and Mi, C. , “Hybrid Vehicle Design Using Global Optimisation Algorithms,” International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 1(1):57-70, 2007.
- Kim, N., Cha, S., and Peng, H. , “Optimal Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on Pontryagin's Minimum Principle,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 19(5):1279-1287, 2011.
- Jalil, N., Kheir, N.A., and Salman, M. . “A Rule-Based Energy Management Strategy for a Series Hybrid Vehicle,” in American Control Conference, 1997. Proceedings of the 1997, Vol. 1, 689-693, IEEE, June 1997.
- Lin, C.C., Peng, H., Grizzle, J.W., and Kang, J.M. , “Power Management Strategy for a Parallel Hybrid Electric Truck,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 11(6):839-849, 2003.
- Serrao, L., Onori, S., and Rizzoni, G. , “ECMS as a Realization of Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle for HEV Control,” in American Control Conference, 2009, 3964-3969, IEEE, June 2009.
- Onori, S. and Serrao, L. , “On Adaptive-ECMS Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” in Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference on Hybrid and Electric Vehicles, Malmaison, France, Dec. 2011.
- Fathy, H., Papalambros, P.Y., and Ulsoy, A.G. , “On Combined Plant and Control Optimization,” in 8th Cairo University International Conference on Mechanical Design and Production, Cairo University, Jan. 2004.
- Murgovski, N., Hu, X., Johannesson, L., and Egardt, B. , “Combined Design and Control Optimization of Hybrid Vehicles,” In: Handbook of Clean Energy Systems. (2014).
- Panday, A. and Bansal, H.O. , “Energy Management Strategy Implementation for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Using Genetic Algorithm Tuned Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle Controller,” International Journal of Vehicular Technology 2016, 2016.
- Filipi, Z., Louca, L., Daran, B., Lin, C.C. et al. , “Combined Optimisation of Design and Power Management of the Hydraulic Hybrid Propulsion System for the 6× 6 Medium Truck,” International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 11(3-4):372-402, 2004.
- Fang, L.C. and Qin, S.Y. , “Concurrent Optimization for Parameters of Powertrain and Control System of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Based on Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithms,” in SICE-ICASE, 2006. International Joint Conference, 2424-2429, IEEE, Oct. 2006.
- Zhang, B., Chen, Z., Mi, C., and Murphey, Y. L. , “Multi-Objective Parameter Optimization of a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Evolutionary Algorithms,” in Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2009. VPPC'09, 921-925, IEEE, Sept. 2009.
- Wu, L., Wang, Y., Yuan, X., and Chen, Z. , “Multiobjective Optimization of HEV Fuel Economy and Emissions Using the Self-Adaptive Differential Evolution Algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 60(6):2458-2470, 2011.
- Wu, J., Zhang, C.H., and Cui, N.X. , “PSO Algorithm-Based Parameter Optimization for HEV Powertrain and its Control Strategy,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 9(1):53-59, 2008.
- Nüesch, T., Ott, T., Ebbesen, S., and Guzzella, L. . “Cost and Fuel-Optimal Selection of HEV Topologies Using Particle Swarm Optimization and Dynamic Programming,” in American Control Conference (ACC), 2012, 1302-1307, IEEE, June 2012.
- Ravey, A., Roche, R., Blunier, B., and Miraoui, A. , “Combined Optimal Sizing and Energy Management of Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” in Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), 2012 IEEE, 1-6, IEEE, June 2012.
- Hu, X., Moura, S.J., Murgovski, N., Egardt, B., and Cao, D. , “Integrated Optimization of Battery Sizing, Charging, and Power Management in Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 24(3):1036-1043, 2016.
- Donateo, T., Serrao, L., and Rizzoni, G. , “A two-Step Optimisation Method for the Preliminary Design of a Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 1(2):142-165, 2008.
- Kim, Y., Salvi, A., Siegel, J.B., Filipi, Z.S. et al. , “Hardware-in-the-Loop Validation of a Power Management Strategy for Hybrid Powertrains,” Control Engineering Practice 29:277-286, 2014.
- Lin, X., Perez, H.E., Mohan, S., Siegel, J.B. et al. , “A Lumped-Parameter Electro-Thermal Model for Cylindrical Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 257:1-11, 2014.
- Serrao, L., Onori, S., and Rizzoni, G. , “A Comparative Analysis of Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 133(3):31012, 2011, doi:10.1115/1.4003267.
- Hegerty, B., Hung, C.-C., and Kasprak, K. , “A Comparative Study on Differential Evolution and Genetic Algorithms for some Combinatorial Problems,” in Proceedings of 8th Mexican International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2009.
- Storn, R. and Price, K. , “Differential Evolution - A Simple and Efficient Heuristic for Global Optimization over Continuous Spaces,” Journal of Global Optimization 11(4):341-359, 1997.
- Mamun, A., Narayanan, I., Wang, D., Sivasubramaniam, A. et al. , “Multi-Objective Optimization of Demand Response in a Datacenter with Lithium-Ion Battery Storage,” Journal of Energy Storage 7:258-269, 2016.
- Onori, S., Serrao, L., and Rizzoni, G. , “Hybrid Electric Vehicles Energy Management Strategies,” (London, Springer, 2016).