This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Deep Learning based Virtual Sensor for Vehicle Sideslip Angle Estimation: Experimental Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern vehicles have several active systems on board such as the Electronic Stability Control. Many of these systems require knowledge of vehicle states such as sideslip angle and yaw rate for feedback control. Sideslip angle cannot be measured with the standard sensors present in a vehicle, but it can be measured by very expensive and large optical sensors. As a result, state observers have been used to estimate sideslip angle of vehicles. The current state of the art does not present an algorithm which can robustly estimate the sideslip angle for vehicles with all-wheel drive. A deep learning network based sideslip angle observer is presented in this article for robust estimation of vehicle sideslip angle. The observer takes in the inputs from all the on board sensors present in a vehicle and it gives out an estimate of the sideslip angle. The observer is tested extensively using data which are obtained from proving grounds in high tire-road friction coefficient conditions. The data are collected from an instrumented prototype super-sports vehicle which is driven by professional test drivers. It is found that the presented observer can accurately estimate the sideslip angle for a variety of handling maneuvers.
CitationGhosh, J., Tonoli, A., and Amati, N., "A Deep Learning based Virtual Sensor for Vehicle Sideslip Angle Estimation: Experimental Results," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1089, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1089.
- Rajamani , R. , Phanomchoeng , G. , Piyabongkarn , D. , and Lew , J.Y. Algorithms for Real-Time Estimation of Individual Wheel Tire-Road Friction Coefficients IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 17 6 1183 1195 2012 10.1109/TMECH.2011.2159240
- Ray , L.R. Nonlinear Tire Force Estimation and Road Friction Identification: Simulation and Experiments Automatica 33 10 1819 1833 1997
- Best , M.C. , Gordon , T.J. , and Dixon , P.J. An Extended Adaptive Kalman Filter for Real-Time State Estimation of Vehicle Handling Dynamics Vehicle System Dynamics 34 1 57 75 2000
- Dakhlallah , J. , Glaser , S. , Mammar , S. , and Sebsadji , Y. Tire-road Forces Estimation Using Extended Kalman Filter and Sideslip Angle Evaluation American Control Conference 2008 4597 4602
- Ghosh , J. , Tonoli , A. , Amati , N. , and Chen , W. Sideslip angle estimation of a Formula SAE racing vehicle SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Mechanical Systems 2016-01-1662 9 944 951 2016
- Baffet , G. , Charara , A. , and Lechner , D. Estimation of Vehicle Sideslip, Tire Force and Wheel Cornering Stiffness Control Engineering Practice 17 11 1255 1264 2009
- Grip , H.F. , Imsland , L. , Johansen , T.A. , Kalkkuhl , J.C. , and Suissa , A. Vehicle Sideslip Estimation IEEE Control Systems 29 5 2009
- Grip , H.F. , Lars Imsland , T.A. , Johansen , F. , Thor , I. et al. Nonlinear Vehicle Side-Slip Estimation with Friction Adaptation Automatica 2008
- Imsland , L. , Johansen , T.A. , Fossen , T.I. , Grip , H.F. et al. Vehicle Velocity Estimation Using Nonlinear Observers Automatica 2006
- Selmanaj , D. , Corno , M. , Panzani , G. , and Savaresi , S.M. Vehicle Sideslip Estimation: A Kinematic Based Approach Control Engineering Practice 67 1 12 2017
- Abdulrahim , M. On the Dynamics of Automobile Drifting SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1019 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1019
- Melzi , S. and Sabbioni , E. On the Vehicle Sideslip Angle Estimation Through Neural Networks: Numerical and Experimental Results Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 25 6 2005 2019 2011
- Sak , H. , Senior , A. , and Beaufays , F. Long Short-Term Memory Recurrent Neural Network Architectures for Large Scale Acoustic Modeling Fifteenth Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association 2014
- Devlin , J. , Cheng , H. , Fang , H. , Gupta , S. , Deng , L. , He , X. , Zweig , G. , and Mitchell , M. Language Models for Image Captioning: The Quirks and What Works 2015
- Hochreiter , S. and Schmidhuber , J. Long Short-Term Memory Neural Computation 9 8 1735 1780 1997
- Graves , A. Supervised Sequence Labelling with Recurrent Neural Networks, Vol. 385 Heidelberg Springer 2012
- Tieleman , T. , and Hinton , G. Lecture 6.5-rmsprop: Divide the gradient by a running average of its recent magnitude COURSERA: Neural networks for machine learning 4 2 26 31 2012