This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization-Based Control Strategy for Large Hybrid Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Electric vehicles (EVs) have become a hot research topic due to the petroleum crisis and air pollution issues, and Hybrid EVs (HEVs) equipped with engines and motors are popular nowadays due to their advantage over Pure EVs. The energy distribution between the engine and the motor is the major task of the control strategy or energy management for HEVs. Rule-based and optimization-based approaches are developed in this area, but not much work has been done for large-size super-capacitor (SC) equipped HEVs, like Hybrid buses. In this paper, a new optimization-based control strategy for a hybrid bus equipped with SCs as the energy regeneration system is presented. Considering the driving patterns of a bus that is of frequent accelerations and decelerations, it is proposed to characterize each time instant by its speed and acceleration, and the energy distribution is optimized based on these two state variables. To obtain a global solution, genetic algorithm (GA) is utilized for the optimization procedure, and then the obtained solutions are incorporated into a loop-up table for rule-based control. The approach is tested under three levels of load conditions and different driving cycles, and the simulation results show that significant improvements can be obtained after optimization.
CitationZhou, J., Li, M., and Xu, M., "Optimization-Based Control Strategy for Large Hybrid Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1030, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1030.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
- Chau, K.T., Wong, Y.S., and Chan, C.C., “An Overview of Energy Sources for Electric Vehicles,” Energy Conversion and Management 40:1021-1039, 1999.
- Faggioli, E., Rena, P., Danel, V., Andrieu, X. et al., “Supercapacitors for the Energy Management of Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 84:261-269, 1999.
- Chan, C.C., “The State of the Art of Electric, Hybrid, and Fuel Cell Vehicles,” Proc. IEEE Transactions 95(1):704-718, 2007.
- Trovão, J.P., Pereirinha, P.G., Jorge, H.M., and Antunes, C.H., “A Multi-Level Energy Management System for Multi-Source Electric Vehicles-An Integrated Rule-Based Meta-Heuristic Approach,” Applied Energy 105:304-318, 2013.
- Neffati, A., Guemri, M., Caux, S., and Fadel, M., “Energy Management Strategies for Multi Source Systems,” Electric Power Systems Research 102:42-49, 2013.
- Chau, K.T. and Wong, Y.S., “Overview of Power Management in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Energy Convers. Manag. 43(15):1953-1968, 2002.
- Salmasi, F.R., “Control Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Evolution, Classification, Comparison, and Future Trends,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 56(3):2393-2404, 2007.
- Tie, S.F. and Tan, C.W., “A Review of Energy Sources and Energy Management System in Electric Vehicles,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 20:82-102, 2013.
- Jalil, N., Kheir, N. A., and Salman, M., “A Rule-Based Energy Management Strategy for a Series Hybrid Vehicle,” Proc. Amer. Control Conf., 1 June 1997, Albuquerque, 689-693.
- Ferreira, A.A., Pomilio, J.A., Spiazzi, G., and Araujo Silva, L., “Energy Management Fuzzy Logic Supervisory for Electric Vehicle Power Supplies System,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 23(1):107-115, 2008.
- Banvait, H., Sohel, S., and Chen, Y., “A Rule-Based Energy Management Strategy for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV),” Proc. Amer. Control Conf., 2009, 3938-3943.
- Li, Q., Chen, W.R., Li, Y.K., Liu, S.K. et al., “Energy Management Strategy for Fuel Cell/Battery/Ultracapacitor Hybrid Vehicle Based on Fuzzy Logic,” Electrical Power and Energy Systems 43:514-525, 2012.
- Brahma, A., Guezennec, Y., and Rizzoni, G., “Optimal Energy Management in Series Hybrid Vehicles,” Proc. Amer. Control Conf., Chicago, June 2000, 60-64
- Musardo, C., Rizzoni, G. and Staccia, B., “A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management,” Proc. 44th IEEE Conf. Decision Control, 2005 European Control Conf., 2005, 1816-1823.
- Perez, L.V., Bossio, G.R., Moitre, D., and Garcia, G.O., “Optimization of Power Management in an Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Dynamic Programming,” Math. Comput. Simul. 73(4):244-254, 2006.
- Kim, M.J. and Peng, H., “Power Management and Design Optimization of Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 165:819-832, 2007.
- Moura, S.J., Fathy, H.K., Callaway, D.S., and Stein, J.L., “A Stochastic Optimal Control Approach for Power Management in Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 9(3):545-555, 2011.
- Piccolo, A., Ippolito, L., Galdi, V., and Vaccaro, A., “Optimization of Energy Flow Management in Hybrid Electric Vehicles via Genetic Algorithms,” Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Adv. Intell. Mechatron., Corno, 8-12 July 2001, 434-439.
- Paladini, V., Donateo, T., Risi, A., and Laforgia, D., “Super-Capacitors Fuel-Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicle Optimization and Control Strategy Development,” Energy Conversion and Management 48:3001-3008, 2007.
- Gao, D., Jin, Z., and Lu, Q., “Energy Management Strategy Based on Fuzzy Logic for a Fuel Cell Hybrid Bus,” J.Power Sources 185:311-317, 2008.
- Xiong, W., Zhang, Y., and Yin, C., “Optimal Energy Management for a Series-Parallel Hybrid Electric Bus,” Energy Conversion and Management 50:1730-1738, 2009.
- Hao, G.L., Liu, J., Li, Y.S., Zhang, Q. et al., “Research of Super Capacitors SOC Algorithms,” Electrical Engineering and Control Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering 98:967-973, 2011.
- Cressie, N., “The Origins of Kriging,” Math. Geol. 22:239-252, 1990.
- Simpson, T.W., Peplinski, J., Koch, P.N., and Allen, J.K., “Metamodels for Computer-Based Engineering Design: Survey and Recommendations,” Engineering ComputationsEng. Comput. 17:129-150, 2001.
- Kermani, S., Delprat, S., Guerra, T.M., Trigui, R. et al., “Predictive Energy Management for Hybrid Vehicle,” Control Engineering Practice 20:408-420, 2012.
- Deb, K., “Multiobjective Optimization Using Evolutionary Algorithms,” (New York, John Wiley & Sons, 2001).
- Mezura-Montes, E., “Constraint-Handling in Evolutionary Optimization,” (Heidelberg, Springer, 2009), 193-218.
- Barlow, T.J., Latham, S., McCrae, I.S., and Boulter, P.G., “A Reference Book of Driving Cycles for Use in The Measurement of Road Vehicle Emissions,” (TRL Limited, 2009).