This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Driven Optimization of Automotive Floor Console Mounting Brackets – An Overview
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Floor consoles or Center consoles are an indispensable part of Automotive Cockpit systems in modern passenger vehicles. It occupies space between the front seats in the car and has a lot of utilities and functionalities. The center console design can be very simple as just providing an enclosure for the gear shifter and parking brake and as complex as having storage bins with armrest which can slide. Now-a-days a lot of functionalities are being provided by the center console such as housing the AC vents at the rear, provision for USB and power outlets etc. All these utilities within the center console demand a certain amount of structural rigidity to meet the functional requirements as well as applicable regulatory requirements. The console mounting bracket usually serves to attach the plastic center console to the steel underbody. It also acts as a load carrier for the console and its design influences the overall stiffness and modal characteristics of the console system. In this paper, two different CAE optimization strategies are applied to two variants of console for a passenger minivan application. For one console model, topology optimization strategy is applied to optimize the material on its mounting bracket. In the other console model, which is relatively complex, topography optimization strategy is applied to its mounting bracket for meeting the functional requirements of the console assembly. The critical functional requirements are validated through CAE techniques and correlation with physical test for one of the variants is highlighted in this paper.
- Raghuraman Taruvai Sankaran - FCA Engineering India Pvt. Ltd.,
- Arunkumar S - FCA Engineering India Pvt. Ltd.,
- Muthukumar Arunachalam - FCA Engineering India Pvt. Ltd.,
- harinadh Gudla - FCA Engineering India Pvt. Ltd.,
- Raghuraman Taruvai Sankaran - FCA Engineering India Pvt Ltd.,
- Arunkumar S - FCA Engineering India Pvt Ltd.,
- Muthukumar Arunachalam - FCA Engineering India Pvt Ltd.,
- harinadh Gudla - FCA Engineering India Pvt Ltd.,
CitationTaruvai Sankaran, R., S, A., Arunachalam, M., and Gudla, h., "Simulation Driven Optimization of Automotive Floor Console Mounting Brackets – An Overview," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1020, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1020.
- K Billal , M. , Subramani , V. , Rao , M. , and Potok , T. Stiffness Simulation Techniques and Test Correlations in Automotive Interior Cockpit Systems (IP, Door Trim and Floor Console Assembly) SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1025 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1025
- Zhang , R. et al. A Study and Application of Optimization on Console Development Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress
- Vadrevu , A. et al. Wall Thickness Optimization for Centre Console Frame Altair Technology Conference 2013
- Bhise , V. , Boufelliga , R. , Roney , T. , Dowd , J. et al. Development of Innovative Design Concepts for Automotive Center Consoles SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1474 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1474
- Manickam , N. et al. Front Seat Raiser Concept Development Using Optimization Technique Altair Technology Conference 2017 India
- Prabhu , S. et al. Skid Plate Bead Development for Nonlinear Loading Using Topography Optimization Altair Technology Conference 2017 India
- Arunachalam , M. , Arunkumar , S. , Sampath , P. , Haiyum , A. et al. An Investigation of Body Inertance Response for Occupant Safety Control Module Attachment Regions SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0473 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0473