This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Equation-Based Compressor and Turbine Modeling for Variable Geometry Turbochargers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As modern engines are being downsized, turbochargers are becoming increasingly common. The operation of turbochargers is usually captured by a map provided by the manufacturer. However, the complexity of these maps makes them difficult to use for turbocharger estimation and control strategies.
This work focuses on a method that is able to reduce the compressor and turbine maps from a cloud of points into a set of equations. This is accomplished by defining a series of non-dimensional and normalized variables that define a plane transformation. In this new plane, all the points of the map converge approximately into a line and the equation for this line can be found using a least square regression. While this strategy has been used previously, this work includes additional variables as well as an optimization process, which proved to be better at replicating the original maps than existing methods. The new technique is shown to accurately replicate the data contained in the maps and variables such as compressor mass flow were able to be predicted with less than 10% error for 97% of the points considered.
The turbine and compressor models were also coupled to a simple combustion model to evaluate the performance of the equation-based model versus the map-based model. The execution time of the equation-based model was about 400 times lower than the map-based method. This last aspect makes this kind of model ideal for model-based control strategies.
This innovative characterization of the compressor and turbine has several advantages. First, capturing the compressor and turbine efficiency and mass flow with a set of equations allows for direct, faster computation of the operating parameters of the turbomachine. Second, this model requires much less memory to store the model, since a map could contain thousands of points while the equation based model only contains ten to twenty coefficients.
CitationPulpeiro Gonzalez, J. and Hall, C., "Equation-Based Compressor and Turbine Modeling for Variable Geometry Turbochargers," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0966, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0966.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- Stricker , K. , Kocher , L. , Koeberlein , E. Van Alstine , D.G. , et al. Turbocharger Map Reduction for Control-Oriented Modeling Proceedings of the 2012 American Control Conference 2012
- Snyder , D.B. , Adi , G.H. , Bunce , M.P. , Satkoski , C.A. et al. Sensor, Steady-State Biodiesel Blend Estimation via a Wideband Oxygen Purdue University 2009
- Payri , F. and Desantes , J.M. Motores de combustión interna alternativos Reverté 2014
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1988
- Yang , X. and Zhu , G. A Mixed Mean-Value and Crank-Based Model of a Dual-Stage Turbocharged SI Engine for Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation Proceedings of the 2010 American Control Conference 2010
- Serrano , J.R. , Arnau , F.J. , Dolz , V. , Tiseira , A. et al. A Model of Turbocharger Radial Turbines Appropriate to Be Used in Zero- and One-Dimensional Gas Dynamics Codes for Internal Combustion Engines Modelling Energy Conversion and Management 49 3729 3745 2008
- Eriksson , L. , Nielsen , L. , Brugrd , J. , Bergstrm , J. et al. Modeling of a Turbocharged SI Engine Annual Reviews in Control 26 129 137 2002
- Chauvin , J. , Corde , G. , Petit , N. , and Rouchon , P. Experimental Motion Planning in Airpath Control for HCCI Engine Proceedings of the 2006 American Control Conference 2006
- Jankovic , M. , Jankovic , M. , and Kolmanovsky , I. Constructive Lyapunov Control Design for Turbocharged Diesel Engines IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 8 2 288 299 2000
- Das , H.B. and Dhinagar , S.J. Airpath modelling and control for a turbocharged diesel engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0999 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0999
- Wang , J. Hybrid Robust Air-Path Control for Diesel Engines Operating Conventional and Low Temperature Combustion Modes IEEE Transactions of Control Systems Technology 16 6 1138 1151 2008
- Jiang , L. , Vanier , J. , Yilmaz , H. , and Stefanopoulou , A. Parameterization and Simulation for a Turbocharged Spark Ignition Direct Injection Engine with Variable Valve Timing SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0680 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0680
- Descombes , G. , Pichouron , J.F. , Maroteaux , R. , Moreno , N. et al. Simulation of the Performance of a Variable Geometry Turbocharger for Diesel Engine Road Propulsion Int. J. Applied Thermodynamics 5 3 139 149 2002
- Puddu , P. Dimensionless Flow Equations for Dynamic Simulation of Turbomachine Components and Fluid Systems IMechE Journal of Power and Energy 224 3 419 431 2010
- Yang , M. , Zheng , X. , Zhang , Y. , and Li , Z. Improved Performance Prediction Model for Turbocharger Compressor SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1690 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1690
- Zheng , X. , Yang , M. , Zhuge , W. , Zhang , Y. et al. Development of an Advanced Turbocharger Simulation Method for Cycle Simulation of Turbocharged Internal Combustion Engines IMechE Journal of Automobile Engineering 223 661 672 2009
- Winkler , G. 1977
- Jensen , J. , Kristensen , A. , Sorenson , S. , Houbak , N. et al. Mean Value Modeling of a Small Turbo-Charged Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 910070 1991 10.4271/910070
- Moraal , P. and Kolmanovsky , I. Turbocharger Modelling for Automotive Control Applications SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0908 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0908
- Canova , M. , Midlam-Mohler , S. , Guezennec , Y. , and Rizzoni , G. Mean Value Modeling and Analysis of HCCI Diesel Engines with External Mixture Formation Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 131 011002 2009
- Gharaibeh , K. and Costall , A. A Flow and Loading Coefficient-Based Compressor Map Interpolation Technique for Improved Accuracy of Turbocharged Engine Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0023 2017
- Kocher , L. 2012
- Entero , A. Apuntes de Motopropulsión Universidad Alfonso X El Sabio 2015
- Tizón , J.M. Apuntes de Turbomáquinas Universidad Politécnica de Madrid 2016