This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling the Variation in Precious Metal Dispersion in a Three Way Catalytic Converter after Aging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With emission legislations becoming ever more stringent, there is an increased pressure on after-treatment systems and more specifically three-way catalysts. With recent developments in emission legislations, there is a requirement for more complex after-treatment systems and understanding of the aging process.
Whilst the body of understanding on catalyst deactivation and, in particular, catalyst aging is growing, there are still significant gaps in understanding, particularly how real world variations in temperature, flow rate and gas concentrations affect catalyst behavior.
Under normal driving conditions, the catalyst can experience varying oxygen concentrations, such as under heavy acceleration or cruising down a hill will show a variation in oxygen from the engine emissions. The effect that varying oxygen concentrations has on the rate of aging is not fully understood and hence the total deactivation and conversion efficiencies are not known throughout the catalyst lifetime.
Traditionally, catalyst specification has relied heavily on catalyst testing over a wide range of mileage, with catalyst aging being conducted via vehicle/bench testing, focusing on 3 main parameters; flow (space velocity), temperature (inlet/bed) and lambda (oxygen concentration). The main drawback of this approach, particularly in the early stages of powertrain development, is the cost and resource required to conduct the testing. It is in this area of development that a kinetic model to predict the catalyst performance taking into account aging time, temperature, flow rate and exposure to oxygen concentration would be of great benefit.
This paper presents a continuation of previous work into the investigation of the effect of varying oxygen concentration on the rate of catalyst aging. A number of commercially available palladium three-way catalysts were aged over a precise temperature cycle at varying oxygen concentrations for different aging times related back to a mileage. The results were analyzed in detail and fed into a catalyst model in which a built in optimizer calculated the initial pre-exponential and activation energy for characterization tests. Once optimized, the model then calculated the variation in dispersion for the catalysts aged under varying levels of oxygen at a range of set mileage. The variation in dispersion over aging is presented and compared with predictions based on the standard aging algorithm and with others proposed in literature.
CitationIrwin, K., Douglas, R., Stewart, J., Pedlow, A. et al., "Modelling the Variation in Precious Metal Dispersion in a Three Way Catalytic Converter after Aging," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0959, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0959.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Voltz , S.E. , Morgan , C.R. , Liederman , D. , and Jacob , S.M. Kinetic Study of Carbon Monoxide and Propylene Oxidation on Platinum Catalysts Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Product Research and Development 12 4 294 301 1973
- Oh , S.H. and Cavendish , J.C. Transients of Monolithic Catalytic Converters : Response to Step Changes in Feedstream Temperature as Related to Controlling Automobile Emissions Ing Eng Chem Prod Res Dev. 21 29 37 1982
- Oh , S. H. 1986
- Dubien , C. , Schweich , D. , Mabilon , G. , Martin , B. , et al. 1997
- Koltsakis , G.C. , Konstantinidis , P.a. , and Stamatelos , a.M. Development and application range of mathematical models for 3-way catalytic converters Appl Catal B Environ 12 2-3 161 191 1997
- Baba , N. , Yokota , K. , Matsunaga , S. , Kojima , S. et al. Numerical Simulation of Deactivation Process of Three-Way Catalytic Converters SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0214 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0214
- Lim , M. , Choi , B. , Kwak , Y. 2000
- Konstantas , G. and Stamatelos , A.M. Modelling Three-Way Catalytic Converters: An Effort to Predict the Effect of Precious Metal Loading Proc Inst Mech Eng Part D J Automob Eng. 221 3 355 373 2007
- Kwon , H.J. , Hyun Baik , J. , Tak Kwon , Y. , Nam , I.S. et al. Detailed Reaction Kinetics Over Commercial Three-Way Catalysts Chemical Engineering Science 62 18-20 5042 5047 2007
- Ramanathan , K. and Sharma , C.S. Kinetic Parameters Estimation for Three Way Catalyst Modeling Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 50 17 9960 9979 2011
- Stewart , J. , Douglas , R. , Goguet , A. , Glover , L. 2012
- Ramanathan , K. , Sharma , C.S. , and Kim , C.H. Global Kinetics for Ammonia Formation and Oxidation Reactions in a Commercial Three-Way Catalyst Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 51 3 1198 1208 2012
- Ramanathan , K. and Oh , S.H. Modeling and Analysis of Rapid Catalyst Aging Cycles Chemical Engineering Research and Design 92 2 350 361 2014
- Stewart , J. , Douglas , R. , Goguet , A. , Stere , C. E. et al. 2014
- Lupescu , J.A. , Schwank , J.W. , Dahlberg , K.A. , Seo , C.Y. et al. Pd Model Catalysts: Effect of Aging Environment and Lean Redispersion Appl Catal B Environ. Elsevier B.V. 183 343 360 2016
- Heck , R. M. , Farrauto , R. J. , Gulati , S. T. 2009
- Bartholomew , C.H. Mechanisms of Catalyst Deactivation Applied Catalysis A: General 212 1-2 17 60 2001
- Heck , R. M. , Farrauto , R. J. , Gulati , S. T. 2012
- Härkönen , M. , Kivioja , M. , Lappi , P. , Mannila , P. et al. 1994
- More KL , Kenik EA , Coffey DW , Geer TS et al. 1997
- Moldovan , M. , Rauch , S. , Morrison , G.M. , Góez , M. et al. Impact of Ageing on the Distribution of Platinum Group Elements and Catalyst Poisoning Elements in Automobile Catalysts Surface and Interface Analysis 35 4 354 359 2003
- Martín , L. Simulation Three-Way Catalyst Ageing Analysis of Two Conventional Catalyst Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 44 1 41 52 2003
- Usmen 1992
- He , Z. , Shao , Q. , Li , Y. , Jing , Z. et al. 2003
- Zotin , F.M.Z. , Da Fonseca Martins Gomes , O. , De Oliveira , C.H. et al. Automotive Catalyst Deactivation: Case Studies Catalysis Today 107-108 157 167 2005
- Winkler , A. , Ferri , D. , and Hauert , R. Influence of Aging Effects on the Conversion Efficiency of Automotive Exhaust Gas Catalysts Catal Today. Elsevier B.V. 155 1-2 140 146 2010
- Fernandes , D.M. , Scofield , C.F. , Neto , A.A. , Cardoso , M.J.B. et al. The Influence of Temperature on the Deactivation of Commercial Pd/Rh Automotive Catalysts Process Safety and Environment Protection 87 October 2008 315 322 2009
- Zheng , Q. , Farrauto , R. , and Deeba , M. Part II: Oxidative Thermal Aging of Pd/Al2O3 and Pd/CexOy-ZrO2 in Automotive Three Way Catalysts: The Effects of Fuel Shutoff and Attempted Fuel Rich Regeneration Catalysts 5 4 1797 1814 2015
- González-Velasco , J.R. , Botas , J. , Ferret , R. , Pilar González-Marcos , M. et al. Thermal Aging of Pd/Pt/Rh Automotive Catalysts Under a Cycled Oxidizing-Reducing Environment Catalysis Today 59 3-4 395 402 2000
- Chen , X. , Cheng , Y. , Seo , C.Y. , Schwank , J.W. et al. Aging, Re-Dispersion, and Catalytic Oxidation Characteristics of Model Pd/Al2O3 Automotive Three-Way Catalysts Appl Catal B Environ. Elsevier B.V. 163 499 509 2015
- Fernandes , D.M. , Alcover Neto , A. , Cardoso , M.J.B. , and Zotin , F.M.Z. Commercial Automotive Catalysts: Chemical, Structural and Catalytic Evaluation, Before and After Aging Catalysis Today 133-135 574 581 2008
- Stewart , J. , Douglas , R. , and Goguet , A. Integrating Intrinsic and Global Kinetics as a Dual Kinetic Model for Automotive Catalysis Proc Inst Mech Eng Part D J Automob Eng. 228 3 285 294 2014
- Stewart , J. 2014
- Irwin , K.J. , Stewart , J. , Douglas , R. , Woods , A. et al. Analysis of the Effect of Oxygen Concentration on the Thermal Aging of Automotive Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0998 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0998
- Irwin , K. J. , Stewart , J. , Douglas , R. , Woods , A. et al. 2017
- McAtee , C. , McCullough , G. , Douglas , R. , Glover , L. 2011
- Environmental Protection Agency. Federal Register 2006
- Stewart , J. D. , Stalker , R. M. , Shaughnessy , R.O. , Douglas , R. et al. 2016
- Auvray , X. , Pingel , T. , Olsson , E. , and Olsson , L. The Effect Gas Composition during Thermal Aging on the Dispersion and NO Oxidation Activity over Pt/Al2O3 Catalysts Appl Catal B Environ. Elsevier B.V. 129 2 517 527 2013
- Holmgren , A. , Azarnoush , F. , and Fridell , E. Influence of Pre-Treatment on the Low-Temperature Activity of Pt/Ceria Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 22 1 49 61 1999