This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers (PODE)/ Wide Distillation Fuel (WDF) Blends in Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Wide Distillation Fuel (WDF), with a distillation range from Initial Boiling Point of gasoline to Final Boiling Point of diesel, can be easily gained directly by blending diesel with gasoline. However, the reduced auto-ignitability of WDF could lead to higher HC emissions. Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers (PODE), with good volatility and oxygen content of up to 49%, have great potential to improve combustion and emission characteristics, especially for soot reduction. Experiments were carried out in a light-duty four-cylinder diesel engine fueled with neat diesel, gasoline/diesel blends (GD), GD/PODE blends (GDP) and the combustion and emission characteristics were carefully examined. Results showed that GDP had the lowest PM emission and diesel had the poorest one among the three fuels. Due to the addition of gasoline and the relatively poor ignitability, GD had lower combustion efficiency and higher Soluble Organic Fraction (SOF) emissions than diesel. This drawback can be solved by the addition of PODE due to the high cetane number and oxygen content. Moreover, GDP can achieve higher thermal efficiency in contrast to diesel and GD.
CitationLi, B., Li, Y., Liu, H., Yu, L. et al., "Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers (PODE)/ Wide Distillation Fuel (WDF) Blends in Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0926, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0926.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Liu, H.Y., Wang, Z., Wang, J.X., and He, X., “Effects of Gasoline Research Octane Number on Premixed Low-Temperature Combustion of Wide Distillation Fuel by Gasoline/Diesel Blend,” Fuel 134:381-388, 2014.
- Yu, C., Wang, J.X., Wang, Z., and Shuai, S.J., “Comparative Study on Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Induced Ignition (HCII) by Diesel and Gasoline/Diesel Blend Fuels (GDBF) Combustion,” Fuel 106:470-477, 2013.
- Turner, D., Tian, G., Xu, H. et al., “An Experimental Study of Dieseline Combustion in a Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper, 2009-01-1101, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1101.
- Zhang, F., Xu, H., Rezaei, S.Z. et al., “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a PPCI Engine Fuelled with Dieseline,” SAE Technical Paper, 2012-01-1138, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1138.
- Weall, A. and Collings, N., “Investigation into Partially Premixed Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled with a Mixture of Gasoline and Diesel,” SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-4058, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4058.
- Han, D., Ickes, A.M., Assanis, D.N. et al., “Attainment and Load Extension of High-Efficiency Premixed Low-Temperature Combustion with Dieseline in a Compression Ignition Engine,” Energy & Fuels 24(6):3517-3525, 2010.
- Wang, J., Liu, H., Wang, Z. et al., “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Wide Distillation Fuel (WDF),” Energy Procedia 75:2379-2387, 2015.
- Du, J., Sun, W., Guo, L. et al., “Experimental Study on Fuel Economies and Emissions of Direct-Injection Premixed Combustion Engine Fueled with Gasoline/Diesel Blends,” Energy Conversion and Management 100:300-309, 2015.
- Dhinesh, B., Lalvani, J.I.J.R., Parthasarathy, M. et al., “An Assessment on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Powered by Cymbopogon Flexuosus Biofuel,” Energy Conversion and Management 117:466-474, 2016.
- Dhinesh, B., Bharathi, R.N., Lalvani, J.I.J.R. et al., “An Experimental Analysis on the Influence of Fuel Borne Additives on the Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Powered by Cymbopogon Flexuosus Biofuel,” Journal of the Energy Institute, 2016.
- Balasubramanian, D., Arumugam, S.R.S., Subramani, L. et al., “A Numerical Study on the Effect of Various Combustion Bowl Parameters on the Performance, Combustion, and Emission Behavior on a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research1-12, 2017.
- Dhinesh, B., Annamalai, M., Lalvani, I.J.R. et al., “Studies on the Influence of Combustion Bowl Modification for the Operation of Cymbopogon Flexuosus Biofuel Based Diesel Blends in a DI Diesel Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 112:627-637, 2017.
- Nabi, M.N., Rahman, M.M., and Akhter, M.S., “Biodiesel from Cotton Seed Oil and its Effect on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” Applied Thermal Engineering 29(11):2265-2270, 2009.
- Zheng, M., Mulenga, M.C., Reader, G.T. et al., “Biodiesel Engine Performance and Emissions in Low Temperature Combustion,” Fuel 87(6):714-722, 2008.
- Sayin, C., Ozsezen, A.N., and Canakci, M., “The Influence of Operating Parameters on the Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Using Methanol-Blended-Diesel Fuel,” Fuel 89(7):1407-1414, 2010.
- Sayin, C. , “Engine Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions of Methanol and Ethanol-Diesel Blends,” Fuel 89(11):3410-3415, 2010.
- Yao, M.F., Wang, H., Zheng, Z.Q. et al., “Experimental Study of N-Butanol Additive and Multi-Injection on HD Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” Fuel 89(9):2191-2201, 2010.
- Li, L., Wang, J.X., Wang, Z., and Liu, H., “Combustion and Emissions of Compression Ignition in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fueled with Pentanol,” Energy 80:575-581, 2015.
- Burger, J., Siegert, M., Ströfer, E., and Hasse, H., “Poly (Oxymethylene) Dimethyl Ethers as Components of Tailored Diesel Fuel: Properties, Synthesis and Purification Concepts,” Fuel 89(11):3315-3319, 2010.
- Pellegrini, L., Marchionna, M., Patrini, R. et al., “Combustion behaviour and emission performance of neat and blended polyoxymethylene dimethyl ethers in a light-duty diesel engine,” SAE Technical Paper, 2012-01-1053, 2012.
- Pellegrini, L., Marchionna, M., Patrini, R. et al., “Emission performance of neat and blended polyoxymethylene dimethyl ethers in an old light-duty diesel car,” SAE Technical Paper, 2013-01-1035, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1035.
- Zheng, Y., Tang, Q., Wang, T. et al., “Synthesis of a Green Fuel Additive over Cation Resins,” Chemical Engineering & Technology 36(11):1951-1956, 2013.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H.Y., Ma, X. et al., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion of Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers (PODE),” Fuel 183:206-213, 2016.
- Liu, H., Wang, Z., Wang, J. et al., “Improvement of Emission Characteristics and Thermal Efficiency in Diesel Engines by Fueling Gasoline/Diesel/PODEn Blends,” Energy 97:105-112, 2016.
- Tong, L., Wang, H., Zheng, Z. et al., “Experimental Study of RCCI Combustion and Load Extension in a Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Gasoline and PODE,” Fuel 181:878-886, 2016.
- Kalghatgi, G., Risberg, P., and Ångström, H., “Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-Ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low NOx at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0006, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0006.
- Li, B., Li, Y., Liu, H. et al., “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel/PODE Blends,” Applied Energy 206:425-431, 2017.
- Shi, X., Yu, Y., He, H. et al., “Combination of Biodiesel-Ethanol-Diesel Fuel Blend and SCR Catalyst Assembly to Reduce Emissions from a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” Journal of Environmental Sciences 20(2):177-182, 2008.
- Bunting, B.G., Wildman, C.B., Szybist, J.P. et al., “Fuel Chemistry and Cetane Effects on Diesel Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Performance, Combustion, and Emissions,” International Journal of Engine Research 8(1):15-27, 2007.
- Liu, H., Wang, Z., and Wang, J.X., “Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers (PODE 3-4)/Wide Distillation Fuel (WDF) Blends in Premixed Low Temperature Combustion (LTC),” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(2):298-306, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0810.
- Zhang, F., Xu, H., Zhang, J. et al., “Investigation into Light Duty Dieseline Fuelled Partially-Premixed Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):2124-2134, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1411.
- Kitamura, T., Ito, T., Senda, J. et al., “Mechanism of Smokeless Diesel Combustion with Oxygenated Fuels Based on the Dependence of the Equivalence Ration and Temperature on Soot Particle Formation,” Int J Engine Research 3:223-248, 2002.
- He, T., Li, S., Chi, Y. et al., “An Adaptive Distance-Based Group Contribution Method for Thermodynamic Property Prediction,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 18(34):23822-23830, 2016.