This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ultra-High Speed Fuel Tracer PLIF Imaging in a Heavy-Duty Optical PPC Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In order to meet the requirements in the stringent emission regulations, more and more research work has been focused on homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) and partially premixed combustion (PPC) or partially premixed compression ignition (PCCI) as they have the potential to produce low NOx and soot emissions without adverse effects on engine efficiency. The mixture formation and charge stratification influence the combustion behavior and emissions for PPC/PCCI, significantly. An ultra-high speed burst-mode laser is used to capture the mixture formation process from the start of injection until several CADs after the start of combustion in a single cycle. To the authors’ best knowledge, this is the first time that such a high temporal resolution, i.e. 0.2 CAD, PLIF could be accomplished for imaging of the in-cylinder mixing process. The capability of resolving single cycles allows for the influence of cycle-to-cycle variations to be eliminated. This ability to study individual cycles aids the understanding of the mixture formation process as well as the cycle-to-cycle variations. Strong air entrainment at the boundary layer can be clearly observed and followed as the mixing process progresses. The formation of eddies created by the shear force and their rotational motion can be continuously observed during the mixing process. The interaction between two adjacent spray plumes in the recirculation zone is well captured and studied. In addition, the mixing process resulting in the stratified fuel charge being located in the recirculation zone before the SOC while the areas along the original spray axis are leaned out after the end of injection, can be followed in one time sequence. Moreover, the auto-ignition position and early flame development can be studied, from the high-speed chemiluminescence imaging, together with the fuel distribution in the combustion chamber.
- Zhenkan Wang - Lund University
- Panagiota Stamatoglou - Lund University
- Marcus Lundgren - Lund University
- Ludovica Luise - Istituto Motori CNR
- Bianca Maria Vaglieco - Istituto Motori CNR
- Arne Andersson - Volvo Global Truck Tech Powertrain Eng
- Oivind Andersson - Lund University
- Marcus Alden - Lund University
- Mattias Richter - Lund University
CitationWang, Z., Stamatoglou, P., Lundgren, M., Luise, L. et al., "Ultra-High Speed Fuel Tracer PLIF Imaging in a Heavy-Duty Optical PPC Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0904, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0904.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Risberg, P., and Ångström, H.-E., “Advantages of Fuels with High Resistance to Auto-Ignition in Late-Injection, Low-Temperature, Compression Ignition Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3385, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3385.
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Risberg, P., and Ångström, H.-E., “Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-Ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low Nox at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0006, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0006.
- Manente, V., Johansson, B., and Tunestal, P., “Partially Premixed Combustion at High Load Using Gasoline and Ethanol, a Comparison with Diesel,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0944, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0944.
- Li, C., Yin, L., Shamun, S., Tuner, M. et al., “Transition from HCCI to PPC: The Sensitivity of Combustion Phasing to the Intake Temperature and the Injection Timing with and without EGR,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0767, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0767.
- Reuss, D.L. and Sick, V., “Inhomogeneities in HCCI Combustion: An Imaging Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2122, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2122.
- Musculus, M.P.B., “Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0079, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0079.
- Musculus, M.P.B., Lachaux, T., Pickett, L.M., and Idicheria, C.A., “End-of-Injection over-Mixing and Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in Low-Temperature-Combustion Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0907, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0907.
- D. Sahoo, B. Petersen, and P. C. Miles, 'Measurement of Equivalence Ratio in a Light-Duty Low Temperature Combustion Diesel Engine by Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence of a Fuel Tracer', SAE Int. J. Eng., 4, 2312-25, 2011-24-0064, 2011.
- B. Petersen, P. C. Miles, and D. Sahoo, 'Equivalence Ratio Distributions in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Operating under Partially Premixed Conditions', SAE Int. J. Eng., 5, 526-37, 2012-01-0692, 2012.
- Sjoholm, J., Chartier, C., Kristensson, E., Berrocal, E. et al., “Quantitative in-Cylinder Fuel Measurements in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Using Structured Laser Illumination Planar Imaging (SLIPI),” The Proceedings of the International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines 2012(8):500-505, 2012.
- S. Kokjohn, R. D. Reitz, D. Splitter, and M. Musculus, 'Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Stratification for Controlling PCI Heat-Release Rates Using High-Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging and Fuel Tracer Fluorescence', SAE Int. J. Eng., 5, 248-69, 2012-01-0375, 2012.
- Z. Wang, S. Lonn, A. Matamis, O. Andersson, M. Tuner, M. Alden, and M. Richter, 'Transition from HCCI to PPC: Investigation of Fuel Distribution by Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF)', SAE Int. J. Eng., 10, 1465-81, 2017-01-0748, 2017.
- Hult, J., Richter, M., Nygren, J., Aldén, M. et al., “Application of a High-Repetition-Rate Laser Diagnostic System for Single-Cycle-Resolved Imaging in Internal Combustion Engines,” Applied Optics 41:5002-5014, 2002.
- Hultqvist, A., Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Richter, M. et al., “The HCCI Combustion Process in a Single Cycle - Speed Fuel Tracer LIF and Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-0424, 2002.
- Boxx, I., Heeger, C., Gordon, R., Böhm, B. et al., “Simultaneous Three-Component PIV/OH-PLIF Measurements of a Turbulent Lifted, C3H8-Argon Jet Diffusion Flame at 1.5kHz Repetition Rate,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32:905-912, 2009.
- Steinberg, A.M., Boxx, I., Arndt, C.M., Frank, J.H., and Meier, W., “Experimental Study of Flame-Hole Reignition Mechanisms in a Turbulent Non-Premixed Jet Flame Using Sustained Multi-KHz PIV and Crossed-Plane OH PLIF,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33:1663-1672, 2011.
- Sick, V., “High Speed Imaging in Fundamental and Applied Combustion Research,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 34:3509-3530, 2013.
- Wellander, R., Richter, M., and Aldén, M., “Time-Resolved (KHz) 3D Imaging of OH PLIF in a Flame,” Experiments in Fluids 55(6):1764, 2014.
- Smith, J.D. and Sick, V., “Crank-Angle Resolved Imaging of Biacetyl Laser-Induced Fluorescence in an Optical Internal Combustion Engine,” Applied Physics B 81:579-584, 2005.
- J. D. Smith, and V. Sick, 'Quantitative, Dynamic Fuel Distribution Measurements in Combustion-Related Devices Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Imaging of Biacetyl in Iso-Octane', Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31, 747-55,2007.
- Peterson, B. and Sick, V., “Simultaneous Flow Field and Fuel Concentration Imaging at 4.8 kHz in an Operating Engine,” Applied Physics B 97:887-895, 2009.
- Sick, V., Drake, M.C., and Fansler, T.D., “High-Speed Imaging for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Research and Development,” Experiments in Fluids 49:937-947, 2010.
- Jiang, N., Webster, M., Lempert, W.R., Miller, J.D. et al., “MHz-Rate Nitric Oxide Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence Imaging in a Mach 10 Hypersonic Wind Tunnel,” Applied Optics 50:A20-A28, 2011.
- Slipchenko, M.N., Miller, J.D., Roy, S., Gord, J.R. et al., “Quasi-Continuous Burst-Mode Laser for High-Speed Planar Imaging,” Optics Letters 37:1346-1348, 2012.
- Thurow, B., Jiang, N., and Lempert, W., “Review of Ultra-High Repetition Rate Laser Diagnostics for Fluid Dynamic Measurements,” Measurement Science and Technology 24(012002), 2013.
- Papageorge, M.J., McManus, T.A., Fuest, F., and Sutton, J.A., “Recent Advances in High-Speed Planar Rayleigh Scattering in Turbulent Jets and Flames: Increased Record Lengths, Acquisition Rates, and Image Quality,” Applied Physics B 115:197-213, 2013.
- Slipchenko, M.N., Miller, J.D., Roy, S., Meyer, T.R. et al., “100 KHz, 100 Ms, 400 J Burst-Mode Laser with Dual-Wavelength Diode-Pumped Amplifiers,” Optics Letters 39:4735-4738, 2014.
- Roy, S., Miller, J.D., Slipchenko, M.N., Hsu, P.S. et al., “100-Ps-Pulse-Duration, 100-J Burst-Mode Laser for KHz-MHz Flow Diagnostics,” Optics Letters 39:6462-6465, 2014.
- Jiang, N., Webster, M., Lempert, W., Miller, J. et al., “Mhz-Rate No PLIF Imaging in a Mach 10 Hypersonic Wind Tunnel,” . In: 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition. (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2010).
- Jiang, N., Bruzzese, J., Patton, R., Sutton, J. et al., “No PLIF Imaging in the Cubrc 48-Inch Shock Tunnel,” Experiments in Fluids 53:1637-1646, 2012.
- Miller, J.D., Peltier, S.J., Slipchenko, M.N., Mance, J.G. et al., “Investigation of Transient Ignition Processes in a Model Scramjet Pilot Cavity Using Simultaneous 100 KHz Formaldehyde Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence and CH * Chemiluminescence Imaging,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 36:2865-2872, 2017.
- Lundgren, M., Rosell, J., Richter, M., Andersson, Ö. et al., “Optical Study on Combustion Transition from HCCI to PPC with Gasoline Compression Ignition in a HD Engine,” SAE Technical Paper, 2016-01-0768, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0768.
- Lundgren, M.O., Wang, Z., Matamis, A., Andersson, O. et al., “Effects of Post-Injections Strategies on UHC and CO at Gasoline PPC Conditions in a Heavy-Duty Optical Engine,” SAE Technical Paper, 2017-01-0753, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0753.
- Shen, M., “'Particulate Matter Emissions from Partially Premixed Combustion with Diesel, Gasoline and Ethanol', Doctoral Degree Thesis,” (Lund University, Faculty of Engineering, Department of Energy Sciences, Division of Combustion Engines, 2016).
- Schulz, C. and Sick, V., “Tracer-LIF Diagnostics: Quantitative Measurement of Fuel Concentration, Temperature and Fuel/Air Ratio in Practical Combustion Systems,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 31:75-121, 2005.
- Weber, V., Brübach, J., Gordon, R.L., and Dreizler, A., “Pixel-Based Characterisation of CMOS High-Speed Camera Systems,” Applied Physics B 103:421-433, 2011.
- R. Wellander, 'Multi-Dimensional Quantitative Laser-Based Diagnostics-Development and Practical Applications', Doctoral Degree Thesis, Lund reports on combustion physics, 177, 2014.
- Fansler, T.D., French, D.T., and Drake, M.C., “Fuel Distributions in a Firing Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper, 950110, 1995.
- Grossmann, F., Monkhouse, P.B., Ridder, M., Sick, V., and Wolfrum, J., “Temperature and Pressure Dependences of the Laser-Induced Fluorescence of Gas-Phase Acetone and 3-Pentanone,” Applied Physics B 62:249-253, 1996.
- Thurber, M.C. and Hanson, R.K., “Pressure and Composition Dependences of Acetone Laser-Induced Fluorescence with Excitation at 248, 266, and 308 nm,” Applied Physics B 69:229-240, 1999.
- Richter, M., Engström, J., Franke, A., Aldén, M. et al., “The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process,” SAE Technical Paper, 2000-01-2868, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2868.
- Seyfried, H., Olofsson, J., Sjöholm, J., Richter, M. et al., “High-Speed PLIF Imaging for Investigation of Turbulence Effects on Heat Release Rates in HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-0213, 2007.
- Persson, H., Sjöholm, J., Kristensson, E., Johansson, B. et al., “Study of Fuel Stratification on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) Combustion with Ethanol Using High Speed Fuel PLIF,” SAE Technical Paper, 2008-01-2401, 2008.
- Aronsson, U., Chartier, C., Andersson, Ö., Egnell, R. et al., “Analysis of the Correlation between Engine-out Particulates and Local Φ in the Lift-off Region of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Using Raman Spectroscopy,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubricants 2:645-660, 2009.
- C. Chartier, J. Sjoholm, E. Kristensson, O. Andersson, M. Richter, B. Johansson, and M. Alden, 'Air-Entrainment in Wall-Jets Using SLIPI in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine', SAE Int. J.Eng., 5, 1684-92, 2012-01-1718, 2012.
- Michael, J.B., Venkateswaran, P., Miller, J.D., Slipchenko, M.N. et al., “100 KHz Thousand-Frame Burst-Mode Planar Imaging in Turbulent Flames,” Optics Letters 39:739-742, 2014.
- Wang, Z., Stamatoglou, P., Li, Z., Aldén, M., and Richter, M., “Ultra-High-Speed PLIF Imaging for Simultaneous Visualization of Multiple Species in Turbulent Flames,” Optics Express 25(24):30214-30228, 2017.
- Lonn, S., Matamis, A., Tuner, M., Richter, M., and Andersson, O., “Optical Study of Fuel Spray Penetration and Initial Combustion Location under Ppc Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper, 2017-01-0752, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0752.
- M. P. B. Musculus, and K. Kattke, 'Entrainment Waves in Diesel Jets', SAE Int. J. Eng., 2, 1170-93, 2009-01-1355, 2009.