This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Divided-Exhaust Turbocharger System with Boost-Valve
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In a divided-exhaust turbocharging system, 1 exhaust valve and port from each cylinder can be directed to the turbocharger turbine (referred to as the Blowdown Path) and the other can bypass the turbocharger (referred to as the Scavenge Path). The Blowdown and Scavenge valve events are determined based on the functions of the blowdown and displacement phases of the exhaust process.
In our previous publications of another version of Divided Exhaust Period Turbocharging, the Valve Event Modulated Boost system (VEMB), we demonstrated significant engine efficiency and performance improvements over the base turbocharged engine. Reductions in pumping work and high-load Residual Gas Fraction are the primary reasons for efficiency and performance improvements.
In this project we have evaluated through simulation and engine testing, the further advantages of the Divided-Exhaust-Boost (DEB) system version of Divided Exhaust Boosting; a version that does not require a concentric-camshaft for boost control. This system retains the previously-reported very large improvement in catalyst light-off performance, which is to be expected from a system that can completely remove the turbocharger from the exhaust pathway during the cold-start period.
CitationRoth, D., Chen, W., and Ciaravino, J., "Divided-Exhaust Turbocharger System with Boost-Valve," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0895, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0895.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Russ A Review of the Effects of Engine Operating Conditions on Borderline Knock SAE Technical Paper 960497 1996 10.4271/960497
- Roth , K. and Sisson Valve-Event Modulated Boost System SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1222 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1222
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. 1988
- Bandel , F. and Kapus , S. The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emission SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1266
- Roth , B. Valve-Event Modulated Boost System: Fuel Consumption and Performance with Scavenge-Sourced EGR SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 538 546 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0705
- Ayala , F.A. , Gerty , M.D. , Heywood , J.B. , and Ayala , F.A. Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-Fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0229 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0229
- Möller , C. , Johansson , P. , Grandin , B. , and Lindstrom , F. Divided Exhaust Period-A Gas Exchange System for Turbocharged SI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1150 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1150