This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applicability of Occupant Packaging and Interior Ergonomics Tools to Highly Automated Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The interior layout of passenger cars and light trucks is substantially aided by SAE occupant packaging tools, which include the SAE J941 eyellipse, SAE J287 reach curves, and the seating accommodation model in SAE J4004. Most of these tools were developed based on posture and position data from drivers, although an eyellipse and head contour are available for fixed-seat passenger positions. This paper reviews the current SAE occupant packaging tools and related industry practice in the context of current concepts for highly automated vehicles, considering SAE levels 4 and 5. Concepts that have driver controls for occasional use and vehicles with no driver controls are examined. Gaps in the current knowledge and tools are reviewed to establish priorities for research and development of new standards and recommended practices.
CitationReed, M., "Applicability of Occupant Packaging and Interior Ergonomics Tools to Highly Automated Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0845, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0845.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- SAE International , 2017. See SAE.org for access to all practices and standards discussed in this paper.
- Hammond, D. and Roe, R. , “SAE Controls Reach Study,” SAE Technical Paper 720199, 1972, doi:10.4271/720199.
- Manary, M.A., Flannagan, C.A.C., Reed, M.P., and Schneider, L.W. , “Development of an Improved Driver Eye Position Model,” SAE Tran. J. Passeng. Cars 107(6):43-50, 1998.
- Reed, M.P. , “An Eyellipse for Rear Seats with Fixed Seat Back Angles,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):586-590, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0596.
- Schneider, L.W., Reed, M.P., Roe, R.W., Manary, M.A. et al. , “ASPECT: The Next-Generation H-Point Machine and Related Vehicle and Seat Design and Measurement Tools,” SAE Trans. J. Passeng. Cars 108:1787-1799, 1999.
- Flannagan, C.A.C., Manary, M.A., Schneider, L.W., and Reed, M.P. , “An Improved Seating Accommodation Model with Application to Different User Populations,” SAE Trans. J. Passeng. Cars 107(6):1189-1197, 1998.
- Park, J., Ebert, S.M., Reed, M.P., and Hallman, J.J. , “A Statistical Model Including Age to Predict Passenger Postures in the Rear Seats of Automobiles,” Ergonomics 59(6):796-805, 2016, doi:10.1080/00140139.2015.1088076.
- Reed, M.P. and Flannagan, C.A.C. , “Anthropometric and Postural Variability: Limitation of the Boundary Manikin Approach,” SAE Trans. J. Passeng. Cars Mech. Syst. 109:2247-2252, 2000.
- Parkinson, M.B. and Reed, M.P. , “Optimizing Vehicle Occupant Packaging,” SAE Trans. J. Passeng. Cars Mech. Syst. 115:890-901, 2006.