This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Optimization of the Transmission System for Electric Vehicles Considering the Dynamic Efficiency of the Regenerative Brake
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, gear ratios of a two-speed transmission system are optimized for an electric passenger car. Quasi static system models, including the vehicle model, the motor, the battery, the transmission system, and drive cycles are established in MATLAB/Simulink at first. Specifically, since the regenerative braking capability of the motor is affected by the SoC of battery and motors torque limitation in real time, the dynamical variation of the regenerative brake efficiency is considered in this study. To obtain the optimal gear ratios, iterations are carried out through Nelder-Mead algorithm under constraints in MATLAB/Simulink. During the optimization process, the motor efficiency is observed along with the drive cycle, and the gear shift strategy is determined based on the vehicle velocity and acceleration demand. Simulation results show that the electric motor works in a relative high efficiency range during the whole drive cycle. The energy economy of the case-study vehicle with the optimized a two-speed transmission is also compared to that of the baseline vehicle with fixed-ratio reduction gear.
CitationZhao, B., Lv, C., Hofman, T., Steinbuch, M. et al., "Design Optimization of the Transmission System for Electric Vehicles Considering the Dynamic Efficiency of the Regenerative Brake," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0819, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0819.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Sorniotti A., Holdstock T., Pilone G.L., Viotto F. et al. , “Analysis and Simulation of the Gearshift Methodologyfor a Novel Two-Speed Transmission System for Electric Powertrains with a Central Motor,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2011.
- Ren Q., Crolla D., and Morris A. , “Effect of Transmission Design on Electric Vehicle Performance,” 2009.
- Ngo D.V., Hofman T., Steinbuch M., and Serrarens A. , “Shifting Strategy for Step Change Transmission Vehicle a Comparative Study and Design Method,” 2009.
- Ngo V.D., Navarrete J.A.C., Hofman T., Steinbuch M. et al. , “Optimal Gear Shift Strategies for Fuel Economy and Driveability,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2013.
- Guzzella, L. and Sciarretta, A. , “Vehicle Propulsion Systems: Introduction to Modeling and Optimization,” (Springer, 2007).
- Zhou, X., Walker, P., Zhang, N., and Zhu, B. , “Performance Improvement of a Two Speedev through Combined Gear Ratio and Shift Schedule Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1477 , 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1477.
- Zhu, B., Zhang, N., Walker, P., Zhou, X. et al. , “Gear Shift Schedule Design for Multi-Speed Pure Electric Vehicles,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2014.
- Ngo, V.D., Hofman, T., Steinbuch, M., and Serrarens, A. , “Optimal Gear Shift Strategies for Fuel Economy and Driveability,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2014.
- Chen, L., Xing, Y. et al. , “Levenberg-Marquardt Backpropagation Training of Multilayer Neural Networks for State Estimation of a Safety Critical Cyber-Physical System,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 2017.
- Chen, L., Zhang, J. et al. , “Novel Control Algorithm of Braking Energy Regeneration System for an Electric Vehicle during Safety-Critical Driving Maneuvers,” Energy Conversion and Management 106:520-529, 2015.
- Lv, C., Zhang, J. et al. , “Mode-Switching-Based Active Control of Powertrain System with Nonlinear Backlash and Flexibility for Electric Vehicle during Regenerative Deceleration,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 229(11):1429-1442, 2015.
- Chen, L., Zhang, J., Li, Y., and Yuan, Y. , “Synthesis of a Hybrid-Observer-Based Active Controller for Compensating Powetrain Backlash Nonlinearity of an Electric Vehicle during Regenerative Braking,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 4(1):190-198, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1225.
- Chen, L., Zhang, J. et al. , “Mechanism Analysis and Evaluation Methodology of Regenerative Braking Contribution to Energy Efficiency Improvement of Electrified Vehicles,” Energy Conversion and Management 92:469-482, 2015.
- Chen, L., Zhang, J. et al. , “Extended-Kalman-Filter-Based Regenerative and Friction Blended Braking Control for Electric Vehicle Equipped with Axle Motor Considering Damping and Elastic Properties of Electric Powertrain,” Vehicle System Dynamics 52(11):1372-1388, 2014.
- Zhang, J., Chen, L., Gou, J. et al. , “Cooperative Control of Regenerative Braking and Hydraulic Braking of an Electrified Passenger Car,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 226(10):1289-1302, 2012.
- Robinette, D. and Wehrwein, D. , “Automatic Transmission Gear Ratio Optimization and Monte Carlo Simulation of Fuel Consumption with Parasitic Loss Uncertainty,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8(1):45-62, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1145.
- Shinde, A.V., Jha, P., and Dev, A. , “Study of Optimum Gear Ratio Selection and Gear Shift Strategy for Automated Manual Transmission for two Wheelers,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1089 , 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1089.