This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Metal Sheet Ductile Fracture using Square Punch Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study introduces a new practical calibration approach of ductile fracture models by performing square punch tests on metal sheets. During square punch tests, ductile fracture occurs at either the corner of die or punch radius when applying different clamping loads and lubrication conditions. At the corner of die radius, in-plane pure shear is induced at the intersection between the side-walls and the flange by combined tension and compression. On the other hand, the material at the corner of the punch radius is under combined bending and biaxial tension. The material studied in this paper is advanced high strength steel (AHSS) DP780 from ArcelorMittal. Isotropic J2 plasticity model with mixed Swift-Voce hardening rule is calibrated from uniaxial tensile tests. The four-parameter modified Mohr-Coulomb (MMC4) fracture locus  was converted to all-strain-based modified Mohr-Coulomb (eMMC) fracture locus and fracture forming limit diagram (FFLD) in the space of principal strains under plane stress condition. The eMMC and FFLD  can be calibrated directly from measured fracture strains at die and punch radius of the AHSS sheets in square punch tests, as well as from uniaxial tensile tests. For analyzing possible close to shear-induced fracture by different combinations of tension and compression at the die radius, the DP780 sheets were arranged at 45° with respect to the orientation of the square punch. The square punch tests were simulated in Abaqus/Explicit. The finite element results show that the force-displacement response of the punch, the fracture initiation and crack propagation at the critical locations in square punch tests were correctly predicted. The load path of the mid-surface at the die radius was found close to proportional loading of in-plane shear.
CitationPan, H., Huang, G., and Sadagopan, S., "Study on Metal Sheet Ductile Fracture using Square Punch Test," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0808, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0808.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Bai, Y. and Wierzbicki, T., “Application of Extended Mohr-Coulomb Criterion to Ductile Fracture,” International Journal of Fracture 161(1):1-20, 2010.
- Jia, Y. and Bai, Y., “Ductile Fracture Prediction for Metal Sheets Using all-Strain-Based Anisotropic eMMC Model,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 115:516-531, 2016.
- Hill, R., “On Discontinuous Plastic States, with Special Reference to Localized Necking in Thin Sheets,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 1(1):19-30, 1952.
- Swift, H.W., “Plastic Instability under Plane Stress,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 1(1):1-18, 1952.
- Marciniak, Z. and Kuczyński, K., “Limit Strains in the Processes of Stretch-Forming Sheet Metal,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 9(9):609IN1613-612IN2620, 1967.
- Marciniak, Z., Kuczyński, K., and Pokora, T., “Influence of the Plastic Properties of a Material on the Forming Limit Diagram for Sheet Metal in Tension,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 15(10):789-800, 1973.
- Atkins, A., “Fracture in Forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 56(1-4):609-618, 1996.
- Tvergaard, V. and Needleman, A., “Analysis of the Cup-Cone Fracture in a Round Tensile Bar,” Acta Metallurgica 32(1):157-169, 1984.
- Bai, Y. and Wierzbicki, T., “A New Model of Metal Plasticity and Fracture with Pressure and Lode Dependence,” International Journal of Plasticity 24(6):1071-1096, 2008.
- Bai, Y. and Wierzbicki, T., “A Comparative Study of three Groups of Ductile Fracture Loci in the 3D Space,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 135:147-167, 2015.
- Li, Y. et al., “Prediction of Shear-Induced Fracture in Sheet Metal Forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 210(14):1858-1869, 2010.
- Kim, J.H. et al., “The Shear Fracture of Dual-Phase Steel,” International Journal of Plasticity 27(10):1658-1676, 2011.
- Luo, M., Dunand, M., and Mohr, D., “Experiments and Modeling of Anisotropic Aluminum Extrusions under Multi-Axial Loading-Part II: Ductile Fracture,” International Journal of Plasticity 32:36-58, 2012.
- Luo, M. and Wierzbicki, T., “Numerical Failure Analysis of a Stretch-Bending Test on Dual-Phase Steel Sheets Using a Phenomenological Fracture Model,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 47(22):3084-3102, 2010.
- Jia, Y. and Y. Bai. A Combined Isotropic, Kinematic and Cross Hardening Model for Magnesium AZ31B-H24 under Non-linear Strain Loading Path. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2016. IOP Publishing.
- Jia, Y. and Bai, Y., “Experimental Study on the Mechanical Properties of AZ31B-H24 Magnesium Alloy Sheets under Various Loading Conditions,” International Journal of Fracture 197(1):25-48, 2016.
- Jia, Y., Ghazali, S., and Bai, Y., “Application of eMMC Model to Fracture of Metal Sheets, in Fracture, Fatigue, Failure and Damage Evolution,” Vol. 8 (Springer, 2017), 49-55.
- Jia, Y., et al. Calibration of Plasticity and Fracture of Magnesium Alloy Sheets under Biaxial Loading Conditions. in International symposium on plasticity and its current applications. 2013.
- Jia, Y., et al., A Comprehensive Plasticity and Fracture Model for Metal Sheets under Multi-axial Stress and Non-Linear Strain Path. SAE Int. J. Engines, 2017. 10(2017-01-0315): p. 266-273.
- Jia, Y., Y.-w. Wang, and Y. Bai, A New Combined Isotropic, Kinematic and Cross Hardening Model for Advanced High Strength Steel under Non-Linear Strain Loading Path. SAE Int. J. Engines, 2017. 10 (2017-01-0367): p. 382-390.
- Sung, J.H., Kim, J.H., and Wagoner, R., “A Plastic Constitutive Equation Incorporating Strain, Strain-Rate, and Temperature,” International Journal of Plasticity 26(12):1746-1771, 2010.
- Mohr, D. and Marcadet, S.J., “Micromechanically-Motivated Phenomenological Hosford-Coulomb Model for Predicting Ductile Fracture Initiation at Low Stress Triaxialities,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 67:40-55, 2015.
- Marcadet, S.J. and Mohr, D., “Effect of Compression-Tension Loading Reversal on the Strain to Fracture of Dual Phase Steel Sheets,” International Journal of Plasticity 72:21-43, 2015.
- Roth, C.C. and Mohr, D., “Effect of Strain Rate on Ductile Fracture Initiation in Advanced High Strength Steel Sheets: Experiments and Modeling,” International Journal of Plasticity 56:19-44, 2014.
- Lee, Y.-W., Woertz, J.C., and Wierzbicki, T., “Fracture Prediction of Thin Plates under Hemi-Spherical Punch with Calibration and Experimental Verification,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 46(5):751-781, 2004.