This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Incremental Bending Test on Aluminum Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Bendability is one of the most important formability characteristics in sheet metal forming, so it has to be understood for robust aluminum stamping process designs. Crack is one of the major failure modes in aluminum sheet bending. In this study, a new “incremental bending” method is proposed to reduce the risk of bending failure. A novel laboratory test methodology is conducted to test the 5xxx series aluminum sheet bendability with 3D digital image correlation (DIC) measurement system. The designs of test apparatus and test procedure are introduced in this paper. Through the data processing and evaluation of a sequence image acquisition, the major strain histories within the zone of the through thickness crack of test samples are measured. Testing results show that incremental bending is capable of reducing peak strain on the outer surface obviously compared with traditional non-incremental bending. The more step, more movement, the more peak strain reduction. Based on the experimental results, potential applications of incremental bending are discussed and proposed.
CitationXu, W., Li, J., Yang, G., Wu, R. et al., "Study of Incremental Bending Test on Aluminum Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0807, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0807.
- Muderrisoglu , A. , Murata , M. et al. Bending, Flanging, and Hemming of Aluminum Sheet - An Experimental Study Journal of Materials Processing Technology 59 10 17 1996
- Bettaieb , M.B. , Lemoine , X. et al. A Finite Element Analysis of the Bending and the Bendability of Metallic Sheets International Journal of Material Forming 4 3 283 297 2011
- Kaupper , M. and Merklein , M. Bendability of Advanced High Strength Steels - A New Evaluation Procedure CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology 62 1 247 250 2013 10.1016/j.cirp.2013.03.049
- Bogdanovic , V. Sheet Metal Forming Processes and Die Design New York Industrial Press 2004
- Castany , P. , Diologent , F. , and Rossoll , A. Influence of Quench Rate and Microstructure on Bendability of AA6016 Materials Science& Engineering A 559 558 565 2013
- Tong , W. Plastic Surface Strain Mapping of Bent Sheets by Image Correlation Society for Experimental Mechanics 44 5 502 510 2004
- Davidkov , A. et al. Strain Localization and Damage Development during Bending of Al-Mg Alloy Materials Science & Engineering A 550 395 407 2012
- Leu , D.-K. A Simplified Approach for Evaluating Bendability and Springback Journal of Materials Processing Technology 66 9 17 1997
- Xu , W. , Yang , G. et al. A New Measurement of Aluminum Alloy Edge Stretching Limit Based on Digital Image Correlation Method SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0364 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0364
- Li , J. , Wan , X. et al. Experimental Study of FLD0 for Aluminum Alloy Using Digital Image Correlation with Modified ISO Method International Journal of Materials Research 107 3 245 253 2016
- Xu , W. et al. Strain Analysis of Pressure Vessels Contained Pits Based on Digital Image Correlation Method Seventh International Symposium on Precision Mechanical
- Yang , G. , Bai , T. , Xu , W. , Li , J. et al. Dimension Study of Punched Hole Using Conical Tipped Punches SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0364 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0364
- Li , J. , Dan , X. , Xu , W. et al. 3D Digital Image Correlation Using Single Color Camera Pseudo-Stereo System Optics & Laser Technology 95 1 7 2017