This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermoeconomic, Sustainability and Environmental Damage Cost Analysis of Air Cooled CT7-7A Turboprop Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The aim of this study is to investigate the overall performance (exergetic, exergoeconomic and exergoenvironmental) of CT7-7A turboprop engine manufactured by General Electric Aviation (GE Aviation) and currently used to power CN-235, a medium range transport aircraft. The investigation has been carried out using the thermoeconomic, sustainability and environmental damage cost analysis methods. The adopted turboprop engine has been investigated to observe the behaviour of various performance parameters, sustainability, emission parameters as well as cost parameters of engine. Due to ever increasing demand in air transport systems, focus has been on developing efficient and sustainable systems with lowest possible cost. In order to reduce cost & environmental effects of engine and at same time to acquire higher performance, it is necessary to understand the mechanism that can offer improvements in the engine operating and design parameters so that higher performance can be obtained. Exergetic sustainability parameters such as exergetic efficiency, exergy loss and destruction ratio, environmental damage cost, sustainability index and sustainability cost index play an important role on choice of suitable aircraft engine for operation. The methodology includes working with energy, exergy and cost balance equations and sustainability index for component-wise modelling of the whole system. The presented work analyses CT7-7A engine from all three (thermoeconomic, sustainability and environmental analysis) perspectives.
CitationSahu, M., Choudhary, T., Kumari, A., and R, S., "Thermoeconomic, Sustainability and Environmental Damage Cost Analysis of Air Cooled CT7-7A Turboprop Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0774, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0774.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
- Ahmadi, P., Ameri, M., and Hamidi, A., “Energy, Exergy, and Exergoeconomic Analysis of a Steam Power Plant (a Case Study),” International Journal of Energy Research 33:499-512, 2009.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Exergoeconomic Investigation of Power Utility Based on Air Film Blade Cooled Gas Turbine Cycle,” Applied Thermal Engineering 122:738-746, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.05.052.
- Bejan, A., Tsatsaronis, G., and Moran, M., “Thermal Design and Optimization,” (New York, Wiley, 1996).
- Bejan, A. and Siems, D., “The Need for Exergy Analysis and Thermodynamic Optimization in Aircraft Development,” International Journal of Exergy 1(1):14-24, 2001.
- Ghaebi, H., Saidi, M.H., and Ahmadi, P., “Exergoeconomic Optimization of a Trigeneration System for Heating, Cooling, and Power Production Purpose Based on TRR Method and Using Evolutionary Algorithm,” Applied Thermal Engineering 36:113-125, 2012.
- Naemi, S., Saffar-Avval, M., Kalhori, S.B., and Mansoori, Z., “Optimum Design of Dual Pressure Heat Recovery Steam Generator Using Non-Dimensional Parameters Based on Thermodynamic and Thermoeconomic Approaches,” Applied Thermal Engineering 52:371-384, 2013.
- Tsatsaronis, G., “Definitions and Nomenclature in Exergy Analysis and Exergoeconomics,” Energy 32:249-253.
- Atılgan, R., Turan, O., Altuntas, O., Aydın, H. et al., “Environmental Impact Assessment of a Turboprop Engine with the Aid of Exergy,” Energy 58:664-671, 2013.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Investigation of the Effect of Air Film Blade Cooling on Thermoeconomics of Gas Turbine Based Power Plant Cycle,” Energy 115:1320-1330, 2016, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.09.069.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Comparative Exergoeconomic Analysis of Basic and Reheat Gas Turbine with Air Film Blade Cooling,” Energy 132:160-170, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.05.025.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Basic and Intercooled Gas Turbine Based Power Utilities Incorporating Air-Film Blade Cooling,” Journal of Cleaner Production 170:842-856, 2018.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Power Utilities: Intercooled Recuperated Gas Turbine Cycle Featuring Cooled Turbine Blades,” Energy 138:490-499, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.07.083.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Comparative Exergoeconomics of Power Utilities: Air-Cooled Gas Turbine Cycle and Combined Cycle Configurations,” Energy 139:42-51, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.07.131.
- Rosen, M.A., Dincer, I., and Kanoglu, M., “Role of Exergy in Increasing Efficiency and Sustainability and Reducing Environmental Impact,” Energy Policy 36(1):128-137, 2008.
- Dincer, I. and Naterer, G.F., “Assessment of Exergy Efficiency and Sustainability Index of an Air Water Heat Pump,” International Journal of Exergy 7(1):37-50, 2010.
- Schlör, H., Fischer, W., and Hake, J.-F., “Methods of Measuring Sustainable Development of the German Energy Sector,” Applied Energy 101:172-181, 2013.
- Lazzaretto, A. and Toffolo, A., “Energy, Economy and Environment as Objectives in Multicriterion Optimization of Thermal Systems Design,” Energy 29:1139-1157, 2004.
- Toffolo, A. and Lazzaretto, A., “Evolutionary Algorithms for Multi-Objective Energetic and Economic Optimization in Thermal System Design,” Energy 27:549-567, 2002.
- Atashkari, K., Nariman-Zadeh, N., Pilechi, A., Jamali, A. et al., “Thermodynamic Pareto Optimization of Turbojet Engines Using Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithms,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 44(11):1061-1071, 2005.
- Balli, O., Aras, H., Aras, N., and Hepbasli, A., “Exergetic and Exergoeconomic Analysis of an Aircraft Jet Engine (AJE),” International Journal of Exergy 5(5/6):567-581, 2008.
- Bejan, A. and Siems, D., “The Need for Exergy Analysis and Thermodynamic Optimization in Aircraft Development,” International Journal of Exergy. 1(1):14-24, 2001.
- Riggings, D., “The Thermodynamic Continuum of Jet Engine Performance: The Principle of Lost Work Due to Irreversibility in Aerospace Systems,” International Journal of Thermodynamics 6(3):107-120, 2003.
- Tona, C., Raviolo, P.A., Pellegrini, L.F., de OliveiraJr., S., “Exergy and Thermoeconomic Analysis of a Turbofan Engine during a Typical Commercial Flight”. Energy. 35:952-59, 2010. doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2009.06.052.
- Aydin, H., Turan, O., Midilli, A., and Karakoc, T.H., “Exergetic and Exergo-Economic Analysis of a Turboprop Engine: a Case Study for CT7-9C,” Int. J. Exergy 11:69-88, 2012, doi:doi.org/10.1504/IJEX. 2012.049089.
- Balli, O. and Hepbasli, A., “Exergoeconomic, Sustainability and Environmental Damage Cost Analyses of T56 Turboprop Engine,” Energy 64:582-600, 2014, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.09.066.
- Kroes, M.J. and Wild, T.W., “Aircraft Power Plants,” (USA, Glencoe/McGraw-Hill, 1995).
- Touloukian, Y.S. and Tadash, M., “Thermo-Physical Properties of Matter. The TPRC Data Series,” . Vol. 6 (New York, Washington, IFI/Plenum, 1970).
- Sanjay, O.S. and Prasad, B.N., “Comparative Performance Analysis of Cogeneration Gas Turbine Cycle for Different Blade Cooling Means,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 48:1432-1440, 2009, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2008.11.016.
- Petrakopoulou, F., Tsatsaronis, G., and Morosuk, T., “Conventional Exergetic and Exergoeconomic Analyses of a Power Plant with Chemical Looping Combustion for CO2 Capture,” International Journal of Thermodynamics 13(3):77-86, 2010.
- Sohret, Y., Ekici, S., Altuntas, O., Hepbasli, A. et al., “Exergy as a useful tool for the performance assessment of aircraft gas turbine engines: A key review,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 83:57-69, 2016, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2016.03.001.
- Seyyedi, S.M., Ajam, H., and Farahat, S., “A New Approach for Optimization of Thermal Power Plant Based on the Exergoeconomic Analysis and Structural Optimization Method: Application to the CGAM Problem,” Energy Convers Manage 51:2202-2211, 2010, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.03.014.
- Aydın, H., “Exergetic Sustainability Analysis of LM6000 Gas Turbine Power Plant with Steam Cycle,” Energy 57:766-774, 2013.
- Vogtlander, J.G., Bijma, A., and Brezet, H.C., “Communicating the Eco-Efficiency of Products and Services by Means of the Eco-Costs/Value Model,” Journal of Cleaner Production. 10:57-67, 2002.
- MATLAB and Statistics Toolbox Release 2012b, The Math Works, Inc., Natick, Massachusetts, United States.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, “Thermoeconomic Investigation of Different Gas Turbine Cycle Configuration’s for Marine Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2228, 2016, doi:doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2228.
- Mithilesh KumarSahu Sanjay, M.S. ,, “Application of Thermoeconomic Analysis on CGAM and Recuperated Gas Turbine Cycle,” International journal of Mechanical engineering and Information Technology 3(6): 1312-1324, 2015. doi:06.2015-61975874
- Sahu, M.K., Sanjay et al., “Energy and Exergy Analysis of Complex Intercooled-Recuperated Gas Turbine Based Power Plant With Cooled Turbine Blades,” ISST Journal of Mechanical Engineering 5(1):49-57, 2014.
- Mishra, S., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay, “Thermo-dynamic Performance Investigation of Gas/Steam Combined Cycle Based on Exergy Analysis,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(8):558-570, 2016.
- Mishra, S. and Sahu, M.K., “Comparative Thermo-dynamic Performance Evaluation of Cooled Gas Turbine Plant,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(9):1320-1330, 2016.
- Sahu, M.K. and Mishra, S., “Performance Analysis of Reheated Gas Turbine Based Power Plant Cycle,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(9):160-170, 2016.
- Kumari, A., Choudhary, T., Sanjay, Y., Murty, P. et al., “Thermodynamic and Emission Analysis of Basic and Intercooled Gas Turbine Cycles,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2426, 2015, doi:doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2426.
- Choudhary, T., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay, “CFD Modeling of SOFC Cogeneration System for Building Application,” Energy Procedia 109:361-368, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.087.
- Sahu, M.K. and Sanjay, T.C., “Exergoeconomic Analysis of Air Cooled Turboprop Engine: Air Craft Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2044, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2044.
- Choudhary, T., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay, “Thermodynamic Analysis of Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Gas Turbine Hybrid System for Aircraft Power Generation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2062, 2017, doi:doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2062.