This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design an Automatic Steering Controller with a Camera-Based System for Lateral Assistance Control in Car Driving
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an automatic steering controller based on a target and control driver steering model. With the road information provided by the image sensor, the structure revealed that drivers apply a PID-type controller whose look-ahead distances and feedback gains are dependent on the vehicle speed. With these simple gains, the vehicle can perform very well in vehicle lateral dynamics control. Instead of planning and following a desired path according to the traditional trajectory planning concept, drivers use the next lane center as the target points to generate vehicle angle error for steering control. This novel target and control driver model captures driver’s key steering mechanisms. The automatic steering controller was first simulated under the Model-in-the-Loop (MIL) test using the CarSim simulation. The simulation results indicate that lateral offsets are smaller than those from typical driver models. In order words, the results show controller achieved good performances and using the target points as input reference has many advantages over traditional route tracking control methods.
CitationLuan, B. and Lin, Y., "Design an Automatic Steering Controller with a Camera-Based System for Lateral Assistance Control in Car Driving," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0760, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0760.
- Wierwille , W.W. , Hanowski , R.J. , Hankey , J.M. , Kieliszewski , C.A. et al. http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/33000/33700/33774/FHWA-RD-02 003.pdf August 2002
- Federal Highway Administration https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_dept/
- Tonnis , M. , Broy , V. , and Klinker , G. A Survey of Challenges Related to the Design of 3D User Interfaces for Car Drivers Proceedings of the 1st IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces (3D UI) March 2006 127 134
- MacAdam , C.C. 1981
- Kang , J. , Hindiyeh , R.Y. , Moon , S.-W. , Gerdes , J.C. et al. Design and Testing of a Controller for Autonomous Vehicle Path Tracking Using GPS/INS Sensors Proceedings of the 17th IFAC World Congress Seoul, Korea 2008 2093 2098
- Kim , B.-A. , Lee , S.-H. , Lee , Y.O. , and Chung , C.C. Comparative Study of Approximate, Proximate, and Fast Model Predictive Control with Applications to Autonomous Vehicles Proceedings of the International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems Jeju, Korea 2012 479 484
- Marino , R. , Scalzi , S. , Orlando , G. , and Netto , M. A Nested PID Steering Control for Lane Keeping in Vision Based Autonomous Vehicles American Control Conference, 2009. ACC ’09 2009 2885 2890
- Chaib , S. , Netto , M.S. , and Mammar , S. H∞, Adaptive, PID and Fuzzy Control: A Comparison of Controllers for Vehicle Lane Keeping IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2004 139 144
- Wu , S.-J. , Chiang , H.-H. , Peng , J.-W. , Chen , C.-J. et al. The Heterogeneous Systems Integration Design and Implementation for Lane Keeping on a Vehicle Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on 9 246 263 2008
- Chen , C. and Tan , H.-S. Steering Control of High Speed Vehicles: Dynamic Look Ahead and Yaw Rate Feedback Decision and Control, 1998. Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Conference on 1998 1 1025 1030
- Taylor , C.J. , Košecká , J. , Blasi , R. , and Malik , J. A Comparative Study of Vision-Based Lateral Control Strategies for Autonomous Highway Driving The International Journal of Robotics Research 18 442 453 1999
- Lee , K.B. and Han , M.H. Lane-Following Method for High Speed Autonomous Vehicles International Journal of Automotive Technology 9 607 613 2008
- Unyelioglu , K.A. , Hatipoglu , C. , and Ozguner , U. Design and Stability Analysis of a Lane Following Controller Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on 5 127 134 1996
- Tan , H.-S. and Huang , J.H. Experimental Development of a New Target and Control Driver Steering Model Based on DLC Test Data Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on 13 375 384 2012