This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detailed Aerodynamic Characterization and Optimization of a Pickup Truck Using Adaptive Sampling based DOE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A detailed Design of Experiments (DOE) study is presented to understand the aerodynamic effects of exterior design features and shape parameters of a pick-up truck using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). The goal of the study is to characterize several key design parameters and the interactions between them as related to overall drag of the vehicle. Using this data, the exterior shape is optimized to minimize drag within specified design constraints. An adaptive sampling methodology is also presented that progressively reduces errors in the design response surfaces generated. This combined with a Latin Hypercube based initial design space characterization yields computational efficiency. A trend-predictive meta-model is presented that can be used for early design development. Results from the meta-model are also correlated with experimental data from the wind tunnel.
CitationJeyasingham, S. and Srinivasan, K., "Detailed Aerodynamic Characterization and Optimization of a Pickup Truck Using Adaptive Sampling based DOE," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0743, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0743.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Krajnović , S. 2007
- Shimoyama , K. , Kawai , S. , and Alonso , J.J. 2013
- Ando , K. , Takamura , A. , and Saito , I. Automotive Aerodynamic Design Exploration Employing New Optimization Methodology Based on CFD SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0513 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0513
- Jeyasingham , S. and Zhu , X. Vehicle Exterior Aerodynamic Development Using Design of Experiments (DOE) SAE Technical Paper 2008-013-423 2008 10.4271/2008-013-423
- Tang , B. Orthogonal Array-Based Latin Hypercubes Journal of the American Statistical Association 88 424 1392 1397 1993
- Sacks , J. , Welch , J.W. , Mitchell , T.J. , and Wynn , H.P. Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments Statistical Science 4 409 423 1989
- Maljovec , D. , Wang , B. , Kupresanin , A. , Johannesson , G. et al. Adaptive Sampling with Topological Scores International Journal for Uncertainty Quantification 2152 5080 2012
- Mackman , T.J. and Allen , C.B. 2009
- Sun , S. , Chang , Y. , Fu , Q. , Zhao , J. et al. Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of an SUV in Early Development Stage using a Response Surface Method SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2445 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2445
- Zhu , X. , Gleason , M. , and Sbeih , K. A CFD Application of Surface Morphing for Vehicle Exterior Development SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0110 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0110
- Paul , J.S. Interactive Tool for Digital CAE Shape Optimization of Class A Surface: A Bridge between Styling and Engineering SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1902 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1902
- Singh , R. Automated Aerodynamic Design Optimization Process for Automotive Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0993 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0993
- Lietz , R. , Mallick , S. , Kandasamy , S. , and Chen , H. Exterior Airflow Simulation Using a Lattice Boltzmann Approach SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0596 2004 10.4271/2002-01-0596