This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Aerodynamics of an Enclosed-Wheel Racing Car: An Assessment and Proposal of Add-On Devices for a Fourth, High-Performance Configuration of the DrivAer Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A modern benchmark for passenger cars - DrivAer model - has provided significant contributions to aerodynamics-related topics in automotive engineering, where three categories of passenger cars have been successfully represented. However, a reference model for high-performance car configurations has not been considered appropriately yet. Technical knowledge in motorsport is also restricted due to competitiveness in performance, reputation and commercial gains. The consequence is a shortage of open-access material to be used as technical references for either motorsport community or academic research purposes.
In this paper, a parametric assessment of race car aerodynamic devices are presented into four groups of studies. These are: (i) forebody strakes (dive planes), (ii) front bumper splitter, (iii) rear-end spoiler, and (iv) underbody diffuser. The simplified design of these add-ons focuses on the main parameters (such as length, position, or incidence), leading to easier manufacturing for experiments and implementation in computational studies. Consequently, a proposed model aims to address enclosed-wheel racing car categories, adapting a simplified, 35% scaled-model DrivAer Fastback shape (i.e. smooth underbody, no wheels, and with side mirrors).
Experimental data were obtained at the 8 ft x 6 ft Cranfield Wind Tunnel using an internal balance for force and moment measurements. The aerodynamic performance of each group of add-on was assessed individually in a range of ride heights over a moving belt. All cases represent the vehicle at a zero-yaw condition, Reynolds number (car length-based) of 4.2 × 106 and Mach number equal to 0.12. The proposed high-performance configuration (DrivAer hp-F) was tested and a respective Reynolds number dependency study is also provided.
In line with the open-access concept of the DrivAer model, the CAD geometry and experimental data will be made available online to the international community to support independent studies.
CitationSoares, R., Knowles, A., Goñalons Olives, S., Garry, K. et al., "On the Aerodynamics of an Enclosed-Wheel Racing Car: An Assessment and Proposal of Add-On Devices for a Fourth, High-Performance Configuration of the DrivAer Model," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0725, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0725.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- DTM website https://www.dtm.com/sites/default/ files/pflicht_teaser2.jpg 2017
- AutoGuide website NASCAR Drivers Transform the Toyota Camry http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/toyota-camry-2017-sema-show-official-gallery/toyota-camry-2017-sema-show-rutledge-11.jpg 2017
- Katz , J. Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed Second Cambridge Bentley Publishers 2006 9780837601427
- Singh , R. CFD Simulation of NASCAR Racing Car Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0659 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0659.
- Katz , J. and Cain , K.P. Rapid, Low-Cost, Aerodynamic Development of a High-Performance Sports Car SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2821 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2821
- Garry , K. and Le Good , G. An Investigation of the Sensitivity of Rear Wing Orientation for Saloon Race Cars SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1018 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1018.
- Hellman , S. et al. PIV Analysis Comparing Flow Past NASCAR COT Rear Wing and Spoiler Traveling Forward and Backwards SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1432 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1432
- Le Good , G. et al. The Design of Systematic Add-on Configuration Changes for the DrivAer Body and their Aerodynamic Characteristics IMechE International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics Coventry 2016
- Cheng , S. and Mansor , S. Influence of Rear-Roof Spoiler on the Aerodynamic Performance of Hatchback Vehicle MATEC Web of Conferences 90 01027 2017 10.1051/matecconf/20179001027
- Ahmed , S.R. Influence of Base Slant on the Wake Structure and Drag of Road Vehicles Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 429 434 1983 10.1115/1.3241024.
- Fukuda , H. et al. Improvement of Vehicle Aerodynamics by Wake Control JSAE Review 16 2 151 155 1995 10.1016/0389-4304(95)00007-T
- Singh , R. and Golsch , K. A Downforce Optimization Study for a Racing Car Shape SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0545 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0545
- Cooper , K.R. et al. The Aerodynamic Performance of Automotive Underbody Diffusers SAE Technical Paper 980030 1998 10.4271/980030
- Cooper , K.R. and Syms , J. Selecting Automotive Diffusers to Maximise Underbody Downforce SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0354 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0354
- Zhang , X. , Toet W. and Zerihan J. Ground Effect Aerodynamics of Race Cars Applied Mechanics Reviews 59 1-6 33 48 2006 10.1115/1.2110263
- Hu , X. , Zhang R. , Ye J. , Yan X. et al. Influence of Different Diffuser Angle on Sedan's Aerodynamic Characteristics Physics Procedia 22 239 245 2011 10.1016/j.phpro.2011.11.038
- Jowsey , L. and Passmore , M. Experimental Study of Multiple-Channel Automotive Underbody Diffusers Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering. 224 7 865 879 2010 10.1243/09544070JAUTO1339
- Xingjun , H. et al. Design and Aerodynamic Assessment of Diffuser with Longitudinal Separators for Underbody of Sedan Applied Mechanics and Materials. 215-216 1033 1037 2012 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.215-216.1033
- Heft , A. , Indinger , T. , and Adams , N. Introduction of a New Realistic Generic Car Model for Aerodynamic Investigations SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0168 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0168
- Mack , S. , Indinger , T. , Adams , N. , Blume , S. et al. The Interior Design of a 40% Scaled DrivAer Body and First Experimental Results ASME 2012 8-12 Jul 2012 Puerto Rico, USA FEDSM2012-72371 10.1115/fedsm2012-72371
- Collin , C. , Mack , S. , Indinger , T. , and Mueller , J. A Numerical and Experimental Evaluation of Open Jet Wind Tunnel Interferences Using the DrivAer Reference Model SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9 2 657 679 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1597
- DrivAer Model Geometry http://www.aer.mw.tum.de/en/research-groups/automotive/ drivaer/geometry/
- Soares , R. F. Drag of Road Cars: Cost-Effective CFD Setup, Proposal of an Aerodynamic Concept and Case Studies Master Thesis, Universidade Federal de Uberlândia (UFU) Uberlândia 2015 10.13140/RG.2.1.3591.1765
- Soares , R. , Garry , K. , and Holt , J. Comparison of the Far-Field Aerodynamic Wake Development for three DrivAer Model Configurations Using a Cost-Effective RANS Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1514 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1514.
- Aerotech A.T.E. Ltd. Specification 9304-1. General Specification of 3 or 6 Component Internal Strain Gauged Balances for Race Car Models Heathfield (E.Sussex)
- Howell , J. and Le Good , G. The Influence of Aerodynamic Lift on High Speed Stability SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0651 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0651.
- Soares , R.F. et al. 2018 10.17862/cranfield.rd.c.3969120
- Soares , R.F. et al. 2018 10.17862/cranfield.rd.c.3969120