This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Update on A-Pillar Overflow Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The management of surface water flows driven from the wind screen by the action of wipers and aerodynamic shear is a growing challenge for automotive manufacturers. Pressure to remove traditional vehicle features, such as A-Pillar steps for aesthetic, aeroacoustic and aerodynamic reasons increases the likelihood that surface water may be convected over the A-Pillar and onto the front side glass where it can compromise drivers’ vision. The ability to predict where and under which conditions the A-Pillar will be breached is important for making correct design decisions.
The use of numerical simulation in this context is desirable, as experimental testing relies on the use of aerodynamics test properties which will not be fully representative, or late-stage prototypes, making it difficult and costly to correct issues. This paper provides an update on the ability of simulation to predict A-Pillar overflow, comparing physical and numerical results for a test vehicle.
In addition to showing the agreement between experimental and numerical simulations, this study provides insight into the mechanisms responsible for A-Pillar overflow, examining why A-Pillar breaching occurs at specific locations.
CitationJilesen, J., Gaylard, A., Linden, T., and Alajbegovic, A., "Update on A-Pillar Overflow Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0717, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0717.
- Gaylard , A.P. , Kirwan , K. , and Lockerby , D.A. Surface Contamination of Cars: A Review Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D 231 1160 2017
- Kuthada , T. and Cyr , S. Approaches to Vehicle Soiling Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics, IV, Numerical Methods Renningen 2006
- Hagemeier , T. , Hartmann , M. , and Thevenin , D. Practice of Vehicle Soiling Investigations: A Review International Journal of Multiphase Flow 37 8 860 875 2011
- Bannister , M. Drag and Dirt Deposition Mechanisms of External Rear View Mirrors and Techniques Used for Optimization SAE 2000 Transactions, Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 2000-01-0486 109 6 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0486
- Karbon , K. and Longmans , S. Automobile Exterior Water Flow Analysis Using CFD and Wind Tunnel Visualization SAE Technical Paper 980035 1988 10.4271/980035
- Foucart , H. and Blain , E. Water-Flow Simulation on Vehicle Panels by Taking into Account the Calculated Aerodynamic Field SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3572 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3572
- F. Campos , F. Mendonca and S. Weston Vehicle Soiling Simulation 6th Mira international conference on vehicle aerodynamics 2006 Gaydon, Warwickshire, UK
- Kruse , N. and Chen , K. Exterior Water Management Using a Custom Euler-Lagrange Simulation Approach SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0101 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0101
- Gaylard , A. , Fagg , M. , Bannister , M. , Duncan , B. et al. Modelling A-Pillar Water Overflow: Developing CFD and Experimental Methods SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 2012-01-0588 5 2 789 800 2012
- J. Jilesen , A. Gaylard , I. Spruss , T. Kuthada et al. Advances in Modelling A-Pillar Water Overflow SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1549 2015 1d0.4271/2015-01-1549
- A. Borg and R. Vevang On the Development of a Wind Tunnel Method for the Prediction of Exterior Contamination 5th MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics UK October 13-14 2004
- Chen , S. and Doolen , D. Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 30 329 364 1998
- Chen , H. , Chen , S. , and Matthaeus , W.H. Recovery of the Navier-Stokes Equations Using a Lattice-Gas Boltzmann Method Physical Review A 45 8 R5339 R5342 1992
- Chen , H. , Kandasamy , S. , Orszag , S. , Shock , R. et al. Extended Boltzmann Kinetic Equation for Turbulent Flows Science 301 633 636 2003
- Qian , T. , D’Humieres , D. , and Lallemand , P. Lattice BGK Models for Navier-Stokes Equation Europhysics Letters 17 6 479 484 1992
- Kotopati , R. , Keating , A. , Kandasamy , S.,D.,B. et al. The Lattice-Boltzmann-VLES Method for Automotive Fluid Dynamics Simulation, a Review SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-057 2009 10.4271/2009-26-0057
- Frisch , U. , Hasslacher , B. , and Pomeau , Y. Lattice-Gas Automata for the Navier-Stokes Equation Physical Review Letters 56 1505 1508 1986
- Kotapati , R. , Shock , R. , and Chen , H. Lattice-Boltzmann Simulations of Flows over Backward-Facing Inclined Steps International Journal of Modern Physics C 25 1 1340021 2014
- Jilesen , J. , Gaylard , A. , Duncan , B. , Konstantinov , A. et al. Simulation of Rear and Body Side Vehicle Soiling by Road Sprays Using Transient Particle Tracking SA Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 1 2013
- Dasarathan , D. , Jilesen , J. , Croteau , D. , and Ayala , R. CFD Water Management Design for a Passenger Coach with Correlation 2016 SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress Rosemont, Illinois, USA 2016
- P. O’Rourke and A. A. Amsden The TAB Method for Numerical Calculations of Spray Droplet Breakup International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Toronto 1987
- O’Rourke , P. and Amsden , A. A Spray/Wall Interaction Submodel for the KIVA-3 Wall Film Model SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0271 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0271
- Mundo , C. , Sommerfeld , M. , and Tropea , C. Droplet-Wall Collisions: Experimental Studies of the Deformation and Breakup Process International Journal of Multiphase Flow 21 151 173 1995