This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of a Perforated Resonator on the Flow Performances of the Turbocharged Intake System for a Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The flow issues of the turbocharged intake system for a diesel engine are mainly introduced in this work and the effects of a multi-chamber perforated resonator which can efficiently attenuate broadband noise and has compact structure on the flow performances of the intake system is analyzed by contrast. Based on the acoustic grid resulting from pre-processing of 3D models for finite element analysis, a computational fluid dynamics flow simulation comparative analysis between the intake systems with and without a resonator including pressure and velocity distribution is conducted with the software Star-CCM+. The simulation results indicate that the air pressure drop of the intake system with a resonator is slightly higher than that of the intake system without a resonator but it is still relatively low compared with that of the entire intake system. What is more, it is also noted that the curvature structure and diameter of the pipes have a great effect on the pressure drop as well as flow uniformity. Besides, these key influence factors should be taken into consideration in the optimal design of the intake system. Simultaneously, relevant improvement measures are proposed as well in this work.
CitationGuo, R., Han, S., and Wang, L., "Effect of a Perforated Resonator on the Flow Performances of the Turbocharged Intake System for a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0678, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0678.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Dominic , E. and Andrew , W. Minimizing Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for Diesel Powertrains SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2485 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2485
- Pai , A.V. , Walsh , S.J. , O’Boy , D.J. , and Chen , R. Air Intake System Noise in a Turbocharged Petrol Engine during Transient Operation Inter-Noise & Noise-Con Congress & Conference 2013 3656 3663
- Munjal , M.L. Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers New York Wiley- Interscience 1987
- Daniela , S. , Fabio , B. , and Fabio , A. Acoustic and Fluid-Dynamic Optimization of an Automotive Muffler Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 227 5 735 747 2016 10.1177/0954407012465689
- Middelberg , J.M. , Barber , T.J. , Leong , S. S. , Byrne , K.P. , et al. Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of the Acoustic Performance of Various Simple Expansion Chamber Mufflers Proceedings of Acoustics 2004 123 128
- Fang , J. , Zhou , Y. , Jiao , P. , and Ling , Z. Study on Pressure Loss for a Muffler Based on CFD and Experiment International Conference on Measuring Technology & Mechatronics Automation 3 2009 887 890 10.1109/ICMTMA.2009.357
- Yao , Y. , Wei , S. , Zhao , J. , Chen , S. et al. Experiment and CFD Analysis of Reactive Muffler Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 6 17 3282 3288 2013
- Zhang , X. and Romzek , M. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Applications in Vehicle Exhaust System SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0612 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0612
- Gardner , B. , Mejdi , A. , and Musser , C. Coupled CFD and Vibro-Acoustic Modeling of Complex-Shaped Mufflers Accounting for Non-Uniform Mean Flow Effects SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2313 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2313
- Patidar , A. , Prasad , S. , Gupta , U. , and Subbarao , M. Commercial Vehicles Muffler Volume Optimization Using CFD Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2440 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2440
- Guo , R. , Tang , W. , and Zhu , W. Acoustic performance and flow analysis of a multi-chamber perforated resonator for the intake system of a turbocharged Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 231 1 1 10 2016 10.1177/0954407016633563