This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Engine Stop Start System with Driver Behavior Learning and Adaption for Improving the User Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Engine Stop/Start System (ESS) promises to reduce greenhouse emissions and improve fuel economy of vehicles. Previous work of the Authors was concentrated on bridging the gap of improvement in fuel economy promised by ESS under standard laboratory conditions and actual driving conditions. Findings from the practical studies lead to a conclusion that ESS is not so popular among the customers, due to the complexities of the system operation and poor integration of the system design with the driver behavior. In addition, due to various functional safety requirements, and traffic conditions, actual benefits of ESS are reduced. A modified control algorithm was proposed and proven for the local driving conditions in India.
The ways in which a given driver behaves on the controls of the vehicles like Clutch and Brake Pedals, Gear Shift Lever were not uniform across the demography of study and varied significantly. In addition, Authors also discovered that some drivers also deployed the parking brake during an idle stop. Thus, a concept of autonomous learning algorithm was envisaged, which would learn the driver behavior on the controls which influence the functions of ESS and then adapt the same conditions to trigger the auto engine stop and restart. This was aimed at improving the user experience and yet ensure the benefits of the ESS.
In this paper, the findings from previous works are analyzed to make grounds for the new submission and to identify the need for User Experience of ESS. The solution implemented to detect the driver behavior from the set of possible ways is discussed in detail and simulation case studies are discussed to ascertain the functions and benefits of the new algorithm.
CitationAthani, G., Gavarraju, S., Jain, P., Addala, S. et al., "An Engine Stop Start System with Driver Behavior Learning and Adaption for Improving the User Experience," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0609, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0609.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Athani , G. , Gavarraju , S. , Kulkarni , S. , Koduru , R. et al. Implementation of Design Thinking, to Improvise the Engine Stop/Start System for Enhanced Benefits in Real Time Driving Conditions in India SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0142 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0142
- Athani , G. , Dongare , K. , and Gavarraju , S. An Innovative Control Algorithm for Engine Stop/Start for Vehicles with Manual Transmission, Derived through Analysis of On-Road Test Data SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0623 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0623
- India Patent
- India Patent
- Buchholz , K. U.S. Consumers Latest Audience for Stop-Start Technology http://articles.sae.org/12026/
- India Patent
- Bishop , J. , Nedungadi , A. , Ostrowski , G. , Surampudi , B. et al. An Engine Start/Stop System for Improved Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1777 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1777
- Prucka , M. Development of an Engine Stop/Start at Idle System SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0069 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0069
- Dhand , A. , Cho , B. , Walker , A. , Muncey , A. et al. Stop-Start Micro Hybrid: An Estimation of Automatic Engine Stop Duration in Real World Usage SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1336 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1336
- Fonseca , N. , Casanova , J. , and Valdés , M. Influence of the Stop/Start System on CO 2 Emissions of a Diesel Vehicle in Urban Traffic Transactions Research Part D 16 194 200 2011 10.1016/j.trd.2010.10.001
- McGeoch , D.J. and Deutsch , P. Control of Automated Engine Stop/Start for Vehicles with an Automatic Transmission UKACC International Conference on Control 2010 1 6 7-10 Sept 2010 10.1049/ic.2010.0364
- Qiao , S. , Yanding , Y. , Yinghao , L. , Zhi , Y. , Zhen , W. , Xiaoyun , Z. , and Xuan , Z. Application of Engine Intelligent Start-Stop System in Technology of Vehicle Fuel Saving Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation (ICMTMA), 2014 Sixth International Conference 128 131 10-11 Jan 2014 10.1109/ICMTMA.2014.35
- Runkle , V. and Vala , M. User Friendly Trucks SAE Technical Paper 970275 1997 10.4271/970275
- Decker , H. and Stock , R. BOSCH-ABS - Designed for the User SAE Technical Paper 861977 1986 10.4271/861977
- Hassenzahl , M. and Tractinsky , N. User Experience - A Research Agenda Behaviour & Information Technology 25 2 91 97 2006 10.1080/01449290500330331
- Kujala , S. and Karapanos , E. UX Curve: A Method for Evaluating Long-Term User Experience Interacting with Computers 23 5 473 483 2011 10.1016/j.intcom.2011.06.005
- Kaasinen , E. , Roto , V. , Hakulinen , J. , Heimonen , T. et al. Behaviour & Information Technology 2015 10.1080/0144929X.2015.1035335
- Nurkka , P. , Kujala , S. , and Kemppainen , K. Journal of Engineering Design 10.1080/09544820903158835