This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinematics Response of the PMHS Brain to Rotational Loading of the Head: Development of Experimental Methods and Analysis of Preliminary Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Experimentally derived brain response envelopes are needed to evaluate and validate existing finite element (FE) head models. Motion of the brain relative to the skull during rotational input was measured using high-speed biplane x-ray. To generate repeatable, reproducible, and scalable data, methods were developed to reduce experimental variance. An “extreme-energy” device was developed to provide a controlled input that is unaffected by specimen characteristics. Additionally, a stereotactic frame was used to deploy radiopaque markers at specific, pre-determined locations within the brain. One post-mortem human surrogate (PMHS) head specimen was subjected to repeat tests of a half-sine rotational speed pulse in the sagittal plane. The desired pulse had a peak angular speed of 40 rad/s and duration of 30 ms. Relative motion of the brain was quantified using radiopaque targets and high-speed biplane x-ray. Frontal and occipital intracranial pressure (ICP) were also measured.
CitationGuettler, A., Ramachandra, R., Bolte, J., and Hardy, W., "Kinematics Response of the PMHS Brain to Rotational Loading of the Head: Development of Experimental Methods and Analysis of Preliminary Data," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0547, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0547.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
|Unnamed Dataset 9|
|Unnamed Dataset 10|
- Faul , M. , Xu , L. , Wald , M.M. , and Coronado , V.G. Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths 2002-2006 Atlanta, GA Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control 2010 10.1016/B978-0-444-52910-7.00011-8.
- Versace , J. A Review of the Severity Index SAE Technical Paper 710881 1971 10.4271/710881
- Ommaya , A.K. Biomechanics of Head Injury: Experimental Aspects The Biomechanics of Trauma 245 269 1985
- Takhounts , E.G. , Craig , M.J. , Moorhouse , K. , McFadden , J. et al. Development of Brain Injury Criteria (BrIC) Stapp Car Crash Journal 57 November 243 266 2013
- Takhounts , E.G. , Ridella , S.A. , Hasija , V. , Tannous , R.E. et al. Investigation of Traumatic Brain Injuries Using the Next Generation of Simulated Injury Monitor (SIMon) Finite Element Head Model Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 November 1 31 2008
- Kleiven , S. Predictors for Traumatic Brain Injuries Evaluated through Accident Reconstructions Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 81 114 2007
- Giordano , C. , Cloots , R.J. , Van Dommelen , J.A. , and Kleiven , S. The Influence of Anisotropy on Brain Injury Prediction Journal of Biomechanics 47 5 1052 1059 2014
- Mao , H. , Zhang , L. , Jiang , B. , Genthikatti , V.V. et al. Development of a Finite Element Human Head Model Partially Validated with Thirty Five Experimental Cases Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 135 11 111002 2013 10.1115/1.4025101
- Kimpara , H. , Nakahira , Y. , Iwamoto , M. , Miki , K. et al. Investigation of Anteroposterior Head-Neck Responses during Severe Frontal Impacts Using a Brain-Spinal Cord Complex FE Model Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 509 544 2006
- Deck , C. and Willinger , R. Improved Head Injury Criteria Based on Head FE Model International Journal of Crashworthiness 13 6 667 678 2008
- Zhao , W. , Cai , Y. , Li , Z. , and Ji , S. Injury Prediction and Vulnerability Assessment Using Strain and Susceptibility Measures of the Deep White Matter Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 16 5 1709 1727 2017
- Nahum , A. , Smith , R. , and Ward , C. Intracranial Pressure Dynamics during Head Impact SAE Technical Paper 770922 1977 10.4271/770922.
- Hardy , W.N. , Foster , C.D. , Mason , M.J. , Yang , K.H. et al. Investigation of Head Injury Mechanisms Using Neutral Density Technology and High-Speed Biplanar X-Ray Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 337 368 2001
- Hardy , W.N. , Mason , M.J. , Foster , C.D. , Shah , C.S. et al. A Study of the Response of the Human Cadaver Head to Impact Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 October 17 80 2007 10.1016/j.bbi.2008.05.010.
- Bayly , P.V. , Cohen , T.S. , Leister , E.P. , Ajo , D. et al. Deformation of the Human Brain Induced by Mild Acceleration Journal of Neurotrauma 22 8 845 856 2005
- Giordano , C. and Kleiven , S. Development of an Unbiased Validation Protocol to Assess the Biofidelity of Finite Element Head Models Used in Prediction of Traumatic Brain Injury Stapp Car Crash Journal 60 363 471 2016
- Tashman , S. and Anderst , W. In-Vivo Measurement of Dynamic Joint Motion Using High Speed Biplane Radiography and CT: Application to Canine ACL Deficiency Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 125 2 238 245 2003
- Kang , Y.-S. , Moorhouse , K. , and Bolte , J.H. Measurement of Six Degrees of Freedom Head Kinematics in Impact Conditions Employing six Accelerometers and Three Angular Rate Sensors (6aω Configuration) Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 133 11 2011
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 2014
- Kleiven , S. and Hardy , W.N. Correlation of an FE Model of the Human Head with Local Brain Motion - Consequences for Injury Prediction Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 November 123 144 2002
- Ji , S. , Ghadyani , H. , Bolander , R.P. , Beckwith , J.G. et al. Parametric Comparisons of Intracranial Mechanical Responses from Three Validated Finite Element Models of the Human Head Annals of Biomedical Engineering 42 1 11 24 2014
- Drake , A.M. , Takhounts , E.G. , and Hasija , V. Investigation of Parameters Affecting Brain Model Validation and Brain Strains Using the SIMon Finite Element Head Model IRCOBI Conference Proceedings 410 431 2017