This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Response Time to Cyclist Path Intrusions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Motor vehicle crashes with cyclists are on the rise, with a six percent increase in fatal crashes from 2006 to 2015 in the USA. Although some research exists on the response time of drivers to some types of path intrusions, data on the perception-response of through drivers to cyclists who fail to stop at a stop sign, and ride into the path of the vehicle has not been researched. The purpose of this study was to quantify the Driver Response Time (DRT) to a cyclist that intrudes perpendicularly in front of a through vehicle at an intersection where the driver has the right-of-way. The DRT was measured from when the cyclist is positioned at the stop sign until the driver reacts, whether by touching the brake pedal, swerving (steering wheel angle change of at least 2 degrees), accelerating, or a combination of those responses.
26 (NFemale = 13; NMale = 13) university aged licensed volunteer drivers participated in the study conducted at the University of Guelph Driving Research in Virtual Environments (DRiVE) lab using an Oktal complete vehicle driving simulator. After a brief practice drive to acclimatize to the virtual environment, participants completed the approximately 10 minute experiment drive during which the cyclist hazard was presented. About one quarter of drivers crashed into the cyclist, with a mean time-to-impact of 3.26 seconds. There were no gender differences in terms of DRT or collision rates.
|Technical Paper||Driver Response Time to Midblock Crossing Pedestrians|
|Technical Paper||Driver Response Time to Left-Turning Vehiclesat Traffic Signal Controlled Intersections|
|Technical Paper||Speeds of Child Cyclists|
CitationToxopeus, R., Attalla, S., Kodsi, S., and Oliver, M., "Driver Response Time to Cyclist Path Intrusions," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0531, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0531.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm 2017
- Statista, The Statistics Portal https://www.statista.com/statistics/227415/number-of-cyclists-and-bike-riders-usa/ 2017
- D’Addario , P.M. 2014
- Selesnic , S. and Kodsi , S. Bicycling Speeds: A Literature Review Accident Reconstruction Journal 26 4 12 15 2016
- Muttart , J.W. Development and Evaluation of Driver Perception-Response Equations Based on Meta-Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0885 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0885
- Interactive Driver Response Research 2017
- Muttart , J.W. Factors that Influence Drivers’ Response Choice Decisions in Video Recorded Crashes SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0426 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0426