This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PMSM Parameter Estimation Using Singular Value Decomposition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Optimal field weakening control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors (PMSM) relies on accurate parameter knowledge. From a modeling perspective, a good parameter set allows better correlation between the model and physical system. Errors in inputs (parameters) such as back-emf (Ke), phase resistance (R), battery cable resistance (Rc), phase inductance (L) and voltage multiplier (Kv) have a coupled effect on the system outputs (measurements) such as torque, battery current and DC link voltage; the relationship between inputs and outputs is not one to one. A single parameter change affects more than one output or vice-versa. For example, in a torque-speed curve before the knee point (base speed), only the Ke parameter affects the output torque but after the knee, all parameters influence the torque. Also, any change in parameters can have unwanted affects like torque ripple, which can lead to NVH issues. Singular Value Decomposition (SVD), coupled with a Recursive Least Squares (RLS) based analysis technique, provides insight into the relationship between system inputs and outputs. It helps sort and weigh the parameters from most important to least important. SVD shows that by adding more measurements, the estimation process is improved and the measurement space more fully spans the parameter space. The results show that the estimated parameters are indeed accurate and provide good correlation between simulation and dynamometer results.
|Technical Paper||Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain Controller Development Using Hardware in the Loop Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Air Intake Manifold Cushioned Anchoring Optimization|
CitationMcLaughlin, K. and Qaiser, A., "PMSM Parameter Estimation Using Singular Value Decomposition," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0455, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0455.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Zhang , H. , Zhang , J. , and Guo , K. Parameter Identification of PMSM for EPS Based on an Improved MRAS Method SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0271 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0271
- Rahman , K.M. and Hiti , S. Identification of Machine Parameters of a Synchronous Motor IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 41 2 557 565 2005
- Ramakrishnan , R. , Islam , R. , Islam , M. , and Sebastian , T. Real Time Estimation of Parameters for Controlling and Monitoring Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conf Miami, Florida 2009 10.1109/IEMDC.2009.5075355
- Khan , A. and Kress , M. Identification of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Parameters SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1237 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1237
- Uddin , M.N. and Chy , M.M.I. Online Parameter-Estimation-Based Speed Control of PM AC Motor Drive in Flux-Weakening Region IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 44 5 1486 1494 2008
- Dang , D.Q. , Rafaq , M.S. , Choi , H.H. , and Jung , J.W. Online Parameter Estimation Technique for Adaptive Control Applications of Interior PM Synchronous Motor Drives IEEE Transactions on Industry Electronics 63 1438 1449 10.1109/TIE.2015.2494534
- Pramod , P. , Zhang , Z. , Mitra , R. , Paul , S. , Islam , R. , and Kleinau , J. Impact of Parameter Estimation Errors on Feedforward Current Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC) 10.1109/ITEC.2016.7520290
- Scaglione , O. , Markovic , M. , and Perriard , Y. On-Line Parameter Estimation for Improved Sensorless Control of Synchronous Motors IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM) Marseille, France 2012 10.1109/ICElMach.2012.6350192
- Chamon , L. , Quiqueto , G. , and Bistafa , S. The Application of the SVD (SVD) for the Decoupling of the Vibratory Reproduction System of an Aircraft Cabin Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0547 2010 10.4271/2010-36-0547
- Hayward , M. , Bolton , J. , and Davies , P. The Application of Singular Value Decomposition to Determine the Sources of Far Field Diesel Engine Noise SAE International Journal of Engines 6 2 1386 1393 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1974
- Strang , G. Linear Algebra and its Applications 2nd New York Academic Press 1980
- Kalman , D. A Singularly Valuable Decomposition: The SVD of a Matrix The College Mathematics Journal 27 1 2 23 1996