This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Simulation Model for a Tandem External Gear Pump for Automotive Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper describes a simulation approach for the modeling of tandem external gear pumps. A tandem gear pump is the combination of two pumps with a common drive shaft. Such design architecture finds application in certain automotive transmission systems. The model presented in this work is applicable for pumps with both helical and spur gears. The simulation model is built on the HYGESim (HYdraulic GEars machines Simulator) previously developed by the authors for external spur gear units. In this work, the model formulation is properly extended to the capabilities of simulating helical gears. Starting directly from the CAD drawings of the unit, the fluid-dynamic model solves the internal instantaneous tooth space volume pressures and the internal flows following a lumped parameter approach. The simulation tool considers also the radial micro-motion of the gears, which influences the internal leakages and the features of the meshing process. The paper details how these aspects are modeled considering that both drive gears share a common shaft. The paper also presents the comparison of the simulation results with experimental data from tests performed on a physical tandem unit, showing how the model is able to accurately predict the performance of both units.
CitationRansegnola, T., Vacca, A., Morselli, M., Kowalski, A. et al., "A Simulation Model for a Tandem External Gear Pump for Automotive Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0403, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0403.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- N. D. Manring and S. B. Kasaragadda The Theoretical Flow Ripple of an External Gear Pump
- X. Zhao and A. Vacca Numerical Analysis of Theoretical Flow in External Gear Machines Mechanism and Machine Theory 108 2016 41 56 2017
- Eaton , M. , Keogh , P.S. , and Edge , K.A. The Modelling, Prediction, and Experimental Evaluation of Gear Pump Meshing Pressures with Particular Reference to Aero-Engine Fuel Pumps Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part I Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 220 5 365 379 Aug. 2006
- Wang , S. , Sakura , H. , and Kasarekar , A. Numerical Modelling and Analysis of External Gear Pumps by Applying Generalized Control Volumes Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems 17 5 501 513 Oct. 2011
- Mucchi , E. and Dalpiaz , G. Elasto-Dynamic Analysis of a Gear Pump-Part III: Experimental Validation Procedure and Model Extension to Helical Gears Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 50-51 174 192 Jan. 2015
- Battarra , M. and Mucchi , E. A Method for Variable Pressure Load Estimation in Spur and Helical Gear Pumps Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 76-77 265 282 2016
- Vacca , A. and Guidetti , M. Modelling and Experimental Validation of External Spur Gear Machines for Fluid Power Applications Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 19 9 2007 2031 2011
- M. Pellegri and A. Vacca A CFD-Radial Motion Coupled Model for the Evaluation of the Features of Journal Bearings in External Gear Machines ASME/BATH 2015 Symposium on Fluid Power and Motion Control 2016 1 10
- M. Rundo and Massimo Models for Flow Rate Simulation in Gear Pumps: A Review Energies 10 9 1261 2017
- D. Thiagarajan and A. Vacca Mixed Lubrication Effects in the Lateral Lubricating Interfaces of External Gear Machines: Modelling and Experimental Validation Energies 10 1 111 2017
- P. Casoli , A. Vacca , G. Franzoni , and G. L. Berta Modelling of Fluid Properties in Hydraulic Positive Displacement Machines 2006
- Merritt , H.E. Hydraulic Control Systems John Wiley and Sons 1967