This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Analysis Program to Predict Efficiency of Automotive Power Transmission and Its Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Prediction of power efficiency of gear boxes has become an increasingly important research topic since fuel economy requirements for passenger vehicles are more stringent, due to not only fuel cost but also environmental regulations. Under this circumstance, the automotive industry is dedicatedly focusing on developing a highly efficient gear box. Thus, the analysis of power efficiency of gear box should be performed to have a transmission that is highly efficient as much as possible at the beginning of design stage. In this study, a program is developed to analyze the efficiency of an entire gearbox, considering all components’ losses such as gear mesh, wet clutches, bearings, oil pump and so on. The analytical models are based on the formulations of each component power loss model which has been developed and published in many existing papers. The program includes power flow analysis of both a parallel gear-train and a planetary gear-train. The program is also implemented with the assumption that the components of power losses are independent of each other. The developed program is employed to estimate the power losses and efficiencies of several automobile gear boxes. The results are then validated by comparing with the experimental data.
|Technical Paper||General Motors Hydra-Matic 9T50 Automatic Transaxle|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Flywheel Dimensions for Truck and Bus Applications|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Gear Whine, Efficiency, and Durability of a Manual Transaxle|
CitationPark, K., Kang, M., Lee, J., Son, W. et al., "Development of an Analysis Program to Predict Efficiency of Automotive Power Transmission and Its Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0398, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0398.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Schlegel, C., Hosl, A. and Diel, S., “Detailed Loss Modeling of Vehicle Gearboxes,” Proceedings 7th Modelica Conference, 2009.
- Hohn, B., Michaelis, K., and Hinterstoiber, M., “Optimization of Gearbox Efficiency,” goriva I maziva 48(4):441-480, 2009.
- Joachim, F.J., Borner, J. and Kurz, N., “How to Minimizer Power Losses in Transmissions, Axles and Steering Systems,” VDI International Conference on Gears, 2010.
- Park, D.H., Seo, T.S., Lim, D.G., and Cho, H.B., “Theoretical Investigation on Automatic Transmission Efficiency,” SAE Technical Paper 960426, 1996.
- Kluger, M. and Greenbaum, J.J., “Automatic Transmission Efficiency Characteristics and Gearbox Torque Loss Data Regression Techniques,” SAE Technical Paper 930907, 1993.
- Li, S. and Kahraman, A., “A Method to Derive Friction and Rolling Power Loss Formulae for Mixed Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufactureing 5(4):252-263, 2011.
- Kahraman, A., Ligata, H., Kienzle, K., and Zini, D.M., “A Kinematics and Power Flow Analysis Methodology for Automatic Transmission Planetary Gear Trains,” Journal of Mechanical Design 126:1071-1081, 2004.
- Talbot, D., “Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of the Efficiency of Planetary Gears Sets,” The Ohio State University, 2012.
- Seetharaman, S. and Kahraman, A., “Load-Independent Spin Power Losses of a Spur Gear Pair: Model Formulation,” Journal of Tribology 131, 2009.
- Iqbal, S., Al-Bender, F., Pluymers, B. and Desmet, W., “Mathematical Model and Experimental Evaluation of Drag Torque in Disengaged Wet Clutches,” ISRN Tribology, ID 206539, 2013.
- Yuan, Y., Liu, E.A., Hill, J., and Zou, Q., “An Improved Hydrodynamic Model for Open Wet Transmission Clutches,” Journal of Fluids Engineering 129:333-337, 2007.
- Li, H., Jing, Q. and Ma, B., “Modeling and Parametric Study on Drag Torque of Wet Clutch,”Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress, F2012-C01-003, 2012.
- Brink, R.V., Czernik, D.E., and Horve, L.A., “Handbook of Fluid Sealing - Chapter 8. Fundamentals of Mechanical Face Seals,” (New York, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1993).
- Organisciak, M., Baart, P. and Barbera, S., “Theoretical and Experimental Study of the Frictional Losses of Radial Shaft Seals for Industrial Gearbox,” Power Transmission Engineering, Technical Paper, 2015.
- Harris, T.A. and Kotzalas, M.N., “Rolling Bearing Analysis - Essential Concepts of Bearing Technology,” Fifth Edition (Boca Raton, Taylor & Francis, 2007).
- Kluger, M.A., Fussner, D.R., and Roethler, B., “A Performance Comparison of Various Automatic Transmission Pumping Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 960424, 1996.