This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drag and Cooling Characteristics of Circular Pin-Fin Groove Pattern of a Multi-plate Clutch Pack Using CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A numerical analysis of drag torque and cooling characteristics of a Multi-plate clutch pack with a circular pin fin shaped groove pattern is presented in this article. Simulations were performed using Simerics MP® platform to investigate the drag torque and heat transfer under various operating conditions. The performance characteristics of the circular pattern were later compared with various designs from the literature. Some of the groove pattern designs considered have been commonly used in transmission systems and some are from the patent literature. This study compares each design and later proposes the most efficient, that has the least drag and highest heat transfer characteristics.
CitationYashwanth, B., Ngo, D., Schroeder, D., Hopson, B. et al., "Drag and Cooling Characteristics of Circular Pin-Fin Groove Pattern of a Multi-plate Clutch Pack Using CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0387, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0387.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Anderson , A.E. and Knapp , R.A. Hot Spotting in Automotive Friction Systems Wear 135 319 337 1990
- Natsumeda , S. and Miyoshi , T. Numerical Simulation of Engagement of Paper Based Wet Clutch Facing ASME Journal of Tribolooy 116 232 237 1994
- Jang , J.Y. and Khonsari , M.M. Thermal Characteristics of a Wet Clutch ASME Journal of. Tribology 121 3 610 617 1999
- Zagrodzki , P. Numerical Analysis of Temperature Fields and Thermal Stresses in the Friction Discs of a Multidisc Wet Clutch Wear 101 255 1985
- Yulong , L. , Jietao , W. , Xingzhong , L. , and Cheng , Y. Numerical Study on the Influence of Grooves on Heat Transfer Performance of Wet Clutch Applied Mechanics and Materials 249-250 517 522
- Yang , K. S. , Chu , W. H. , Chen , I. Y. and Wang , C.C.
- Parvez , P. 1992
- Ding , H. , Visser , F.C. , Jiang , Y. , and Furmanczyk , M. Demonstration and Validation of a 3D CFD Simulation Tool Predicting Pump Performance and Cavitation for Industrial Applications Journal of Fluids Engineering 133 011101 1 14 2011
- Lai , Y.G. Simulation of heat-transfer characteristics of wet clutch engagement processes Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications 33 6 583 597 10.1080/10407789808913956