This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Integrating Variable Intake Runner Diameter and Variable Intake Valve Timing on an SI Engine’s Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Design of the intake system of an internal combustion (IC) engine is one of the critical parameters to improve the performance of an engine. Induction pressure waves (compression and rarefaction waves) are created in the intake runner due to valve operations. If the intake runner is tuned correctly, a compression wave can boost the intake air flow improving the volumetric efficiency which increases the torque and power of the engine. In this research, the intake runner diameter and valve timing were varied individually, after which both were varied together to achieve optimum volumetric efficiency. A single-cylinder, four-stroke spark-ignited 510 cc naturally aspirated engine was used for the analysis. Simulations were carried out using engine simulation software Ricardo Wave to find the effect of intake runner diameter and timing on the engine performance. A chassis-dyno test was made on the engine to know its factory state performance and compared the torque and power with the simulation data. As a result, the validated model is found to have a deviation of around 10.0% from the actual chassis dyno test. Gains achieved upon combined effects of variation of both intake runner diameter and intake valve timing across the engine speed range were appreciable. It was observed that when only the runner diameter was varied, the improvement in volumetric efficiency was approximately 8.5%. Similarly, when only the valve timing was varied, around 3% improvement was seen. However, upon varying both the intake runner diameter and intake valve timing for each speed simultaneously, an average increment of 12% was noted.
CitationGhodke, S. and Bari, S., "Effect of Integrating Variable Intake Runner Diameter and Variable Intake Valve Timing on an SI Engine’s Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0380, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0380.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Heywood, J.B. , “Internal combustion engine fundamentals,” (New York, McGraw-Hill, 1988).
- Saad, I., Bari, S., and Hossain, S.N. , “In-Cylinder Air Flow Characteristics Generated by Guide Vane Swirl and Tumble Device to Improve Air-Fuel Mixing in Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel,” Procedia Engineering 56:363-368, 2013.
- Saad, I. and Bari, S. , “Improving Air-Fuel Mixing in Diesel Engine Fuelled by Higher Viscous Fuel Using Guide Vane Swirl and Tumble Device (GVSTD),” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-08671-10, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0867.
- Ibrahim, A., Bari, S., and Bruno, F. , “A Study on EGR Utilization in Natural Gas SI Engines Using a Two-Zone Combustion Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-20411-10, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2041.
- V. Gajula and S. Bari , “Performance Tuning of an IC Engine Based on Pressure Wave Propagation with a Continuously Variable Exhaust Runner Length and Exhaust Valve Timing System,” in ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Tampa, FL, USA, 2017, pp. 1-10.
- P. Sawant and S. Bari , “Combined Effects of Variable Intake Manifold Length, Variable Valve Timing and Duration on the Performance of an Internal Combustion Engine,” in ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Tampa, FL, USA, 2017, pp. 1-10.
- O. Aradhye and S. Bari , “Continuously Varying Exhaust Pipe Length and Diameter to Improve the Performance of a Naturally Aspirated SI Engine,” in ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Tampa, FL, USA, 2017, pp. 1-8.
- D. A. Moster , “Intake Manifold Design for an Air Restricted Engine,” MS Thesis, University of Cincinnati, 2012.
- Mariucci, V., Selamet, A., and Miazgowicz, K.D. , “Effect of Primary Intake Runner Tapers and Bellmouths on the Performance of a Single Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-03821-19, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0382.
- G. B. Jagadishsingh and N. P. Jadhav , “Effect of Variable Length Intake Manifold on Performance of IC Engine,” International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology vol. Special Issue - 5, pp. 47-52, 2016.
- Cleary, D. and Silvas, G. , “Unthrottled Engine Operation with Variable Intake Valve Lift, Duration, and Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-12821-16, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1282.
- Khan, S.A. and Ayyappath, P. , “Design and Development of Variable Valve Timing and Lift Mechanism for Improving the Performance of Single Cylinder Two Wheeler Gasoline Engine,” SAE Techincal Paper 2014-01-16991-8, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1699.
- Sammut, G. and Alkidas, A.C. , “Relative Contributions of Intake and Exhaust Tuning on SI Engine Breathing-a Computational Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-04921-19, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0492.
- Malkhede, D.N. and Khalane, H. , “Maximizing Volumetric Efficiency of IC Engine through Intake Manifold Tuning,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-17381-8, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1738.
- Margary, R., Nino, E., and Vafidis, C. , “The Effect of Intake Duct Length on the in-Cylinder Air Motion in a Motored Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 9000571-14, 1990, doi:10.4271/900057.
- Chalet, D., Mahe, A., Migaud, J., and Hetet, J.-F. , “A Frequency Modelling of the Pressure Waves in the Inlet Manifold of Internal Combustion Engine,” Applied Energy 88:2988-2994, 2011.
- Saravanan, D., Gokhale, A., and Karthikeyan, N. , “Design and Development of a Novel Charge Boosting System for a Single Cylinder SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-17071-10, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1707.
- Tabaczynski, R.J. , “Effects of Inlet and Exhaust System Design on Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 8215771-12, 1982, doi:10.4271/821577.
- Khudhur, S.H., Saleh, A.M., and Chaichan, M.T. , “The Effect of Variable Valve Timing on SIE Performance and Emissions,” International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research 6:173-179, 2015.
- Ibrahim, A. and Bari, S. , “Effect of Varying Compression Ratio on a Natural Gas SI Engine Performance in the Presence of EGR,” Energy & Fuels 23:4949-4956, 2009.
- A. Ibrahim and S. Bari , “An Investigation on Using EGR in Natural Gas SI Engine,” in International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2007, pp. Th-23.
- S. Bari and I. Saad , “Effects of Guide Vane Swirl and Tumble Device (GVSTD) to the Air Flow of Naturally Aspirated CI Engine,” in 9th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME), 2011, pp. FL-019: 1-6.
- Claywell, M., Horkheimer, D., and Stockburger, G. , “Investigation of Intake Concepts for a Formula SAE four-Cylinder Engine Using 1D/3D (Ricardo WAVE-VECTIS) Coupled Modeling Techniques,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-36521-26, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3652.
- H. W. Engelman , “Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold,” in ASME Paper, 1973.
- Claywell, M. and Horkheimer, D. , “Improvement of Intake Restrictor Performance for a Formula SAE Race Car through 1D & Coupled 1D/3D Analysis Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-36541-27, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3654.
- McKee, R., McCullough, G., Cunningham, G., Taylor, J. et al. , “Experimental Optimisation of Manifold and Camshaft Geometries for a Restricted 600cc Four-Cylinder Four-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-00701-9, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0070.
- Saad, I. and Bari, S. , “CFD Investigation of in-Cylinder Air Flow to Optimize Number of Guide Vanes to Improve CI Engine Performance Using Higher Viscous Fuel,” International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering 8:1096-1107.
- Bari, S. and Saad, I. , “Performance and Emissions of a Compression Ignition (CI) Engine Run with Biodiesel Using Guide Vanes at Varied Vane Angles,” Fuel 143:217-228, 2015.
- Hong, H., Parvate-Patil, G., and Gordon, B. , “Review and Analysis of Variable Valve Timing Strategies-Eight Ways to Approach,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 218:1179-1200, 2004.
- M. P. Thompson , “Non-mechanical Supercharging of a four-Stroke Diesel Engine,” (The Ohio State University, 1968).
- K. Hiraku, N. Fuwa, H. Yamada, and T. Yamanashi , “Intake Air Amount Control Apparatus and Method of Internal Combustion Engine,” Ed: Google Patents, 2004.
- P. J. Grutter, D. J. Lipinski, J. A. LoRusso, D. R. Nowland et al. , “Air Induction Control System for Variable Displacement Internal Combustion Engine,” Ed: Google Patents, 1995.