This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New 2.0L I4 Gasoline Direct Injection Engine with Toyota New Global Architecture Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Toyota Motor Corporation has developed a new 2.0L Inline 4- Cylinder (I4) Gasoline Direct Injection Engine, the second Naturally Aspirated (NA) engine of the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) engine series, to meet our customers’ expectations for drivability, performance, and fuel economy. The high speed combustion technologies adopted previously in our 2.5 L NA conventional and Hybrid Vehicle (HV) engines for the 2018 Toyota Camry are necessary for high engine power and thermal efficiency. To adopt our high speed combustion technology on engines with different displacements, the turbulence intensity has been defined as the target index of combustion speed. The basic engine structure has been revised by using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis to achieve the combustion target.
Additionally the Toyota dual injection system D-4S (Direct injection 4 stroke gasoline engine Superior version) has been improved by our new multi-hole injector design to reduce fuel wetting due to the smaller displacement.
With these new technologies, and further optimization, the new 2.0L I4 gasoline direct injection engine achieved top level specific power and thermal efficiency in its class.
As a result the new 2.0L Gasoline Direct Injection Engine, in combination with the newly developed Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), allow our vehicles to achieve top acceleration, vehicle performance, and fuel economy.
CitationYamaji, K., Tomimatsu, M., Takagi, I., Higuchi, A. et al., "New 2.0L I4 Gasoline Direct Injection Engine with Toyota New Global Architecture Concept," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0370, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0370.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Murase , E. and Shimizu , R. Innovative Gasoline Combustion Concepts for Toyota New Global Architecture 25th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2016
- Mori , A. , Yamazaki , D. , Nomura , M. and Murase , E. The New Toyota V6 3.5L Turbocharged Gasoline Engine 26th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2017
- Nakata , K. and Shimizu , R. Toyota’s New Combustion Technology for High Engine Thermal Efficiency and High Engine Output Performance 37th International Vienna Motor Symposium 2016 Austria 2016
- Shibata , H. , Okamoto , A. , Oomura , H. , Saitoh , S. et al. Development of New D-4S Fuel Injection system for TNGA JSAE 2017 Annual Congress-Spring
- Itabashi , S. , Murase , E. , Yamaguchi , M. , and Muraguchi , T. New Combustion and Powertrain Control Technologies for Fun-To-Drive Dynamic Performance and Better Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0589 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0589