This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of a New V6 3.5L Turbocharged Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For the launch of the redesigned Lexus LS, a new 3.5 L V6 twin turbo engine has been developed aiming at unparalleled performance on four axes, “driving pleasure”, “power-performance”, “quietness” and “fuel economy”. To achieve outstanding power-performance and high thermal efficiency, the specifications have been optimized for high speed combustion. The maximum torque of 600 Nm, power of 310 kW (yielding specific power of 90 kW/L), and the maximum thermal efficiency of 37% have been achieved using several new technologies including a high efficiency turbocharger. A prototype vehicle equipped with this engine and Direct-Shift 10AT achieved a 0-60 mph acceleration time of 4.6 sec, with extremely good CAFE combined fuel economy of 23 mpg and power-performance aligned with V8 turbocharged offerings from competing OEM’s.
CitationYamazaki, D., Mori, A., and Murase, E., "The Development of a New V6 3.5L Turbocharged Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0366, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0366.
- Sugiyama , M. 2016
- Kishi , H. 2017
- Murase , E. and Shimizu , R. 2016
- Hakariya , M. , Toda , T. , and Sakai , M. The New Toyota Inline 4-Cylinder 2.5L Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1021 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1021
- Toda , T. , Sakai , M. , Hakariya , M. , and Kato , T. 2017
- Masunaga , S. , Miyazaki , T. , Habata , Y. , Yamada , K. et al. Development of Innovative Toyota 10-Speed Longitudinal Automatic Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1099 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1099
- Watanabe , I. , Kawai , T. , Yonezawa , K. , and Ogawa , T. 2014
- Itabashi , S. , Murase , E. , Tanaka , H. , Yamaguchi , M. et al. New Combustion and Powertrain Control Technologies for Fun-to-Drive Dynamic Performance and Better Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0589 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0589