This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Engine Control Parameters Effect to Minimize GHG Emissions in a Dual Fuel NG/Diesel Light Duty Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The interest in Natural Gas (NG) as alternative fuel for transportation is constantly growing, mostly due to its large availability and lower environmental impact with respect to gasoline or diesel fuel. In this scenario, the application of the Dual Fuel (DF) Diesel- Natural Gas (NG) combustion concept to light duty engines can represent an important route to increment the diffusion of natural gas use. Many studies have proven the benefits of DF with respect to conventional diesel combustion in terms of CO2, NOx, PM and PN emissions, with the main drawback of high unburned hydrocarbon, mainly at low/partial engine loads. This last aspect still prevents the application of DF mode to small displacement engines.
In the present work, a 2.0 L Euro 5 compliant diesel engine, equipped with an advanced electronic closed-loop combustion control (CLCC) system, has been set up to operate in DF mode and tested on a dyno test bench. The experimental campaign was performed in steady-state engine conditions and organized in two phases. Firstly, the aim was to identify optimal values of NG substitution ratios in several engine operating points. Secondly, a thorough analysis of the effects of many engine control parameters (e.g. NG substitution ratio, diesel pilot injection strategies, EGR) on DF combustion evolution was performed, at low and medium engine load.
A strong potential on THC emissions control was assessed for parameters like combustion phasing and EGR, giving rise to wider margins of engine recalibration, in comparison with the standard Diesel calibration. The research activity will permit to identify an optimized DF working map, tailored for an automotive multi-cylinder Diesel engine, and to evaluate the actual applicability of the DF configuration on the selected combustion system.
CitationGuido, C., Napolitano, P., Fraioli, V., Beatrice, C. et al., "Assessment of Engine Control Parameters Effect to Minimize GHG Emissions in a Dual Fuel NG/Diesel Light Duty Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0266, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0266.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Sonia , Y. An Empirical Analysis on the Adoption of Alternative Fuel Vehicles: The Case of Natural Gas Vehicles Energy Policy 35 11 5865 5875 2007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2007.06.012
- Sahoo , B.B. , Sahoo , N. , and Saha U.K. Effect of Engine Parameters and Type of Gaseous Fuel on the Performance of Dual-Fuel Gas Diesel Engines-A Critical Review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13 1151 1184 2009 10.1016/j.rser.2008.08.003
- Khan , M.I. , Yasmin , T. , and Shakoor , A. Technical Overview of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) as a Transportation Fuel Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 51 785 797 2015 10.1016/j.rser.2015.06.053
- Korakianitis , T. et al. Natural-Gas Fueled Spark-Ignition (SI) and Compression-Ignition (CI) Engine Performance and Emissions Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37 89 112 2010 10.1016/j.pecs.2010.04.002
- Shah , A. et al. Literature Review and Simulation of Dual Fuel Diesel-NG Engines 2011 10.4271/2011-26-0001
- Fasching , P. , Sprenger , F. , and Eichlseder , H. Experimental Optimization of a Small Bore Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine with Direct Fuel Injection SAE Int. J. Eng. 9 2 1072 1086 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0783
- Wei , L. and Geng , P. A Review on Natural Gas/Diesel Dual Fuel Combustion, Emissions and Performance Fuel Processing Technology 142 264 278 2016 10.1016/j.fuproc.2015.09.018
- Napolitano , P. , Fraioli , V. , Beatrice , C. , Migliaccio , M. et al. Estimation of TTW and WTW Factors for a Light Duty Dual Fuel NG-Diesel EU5 Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1621 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1621
- Egúsquiza , J.C. , Braga , S.L. , and Braga , C.V.M. The Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 2009
- Taniguchi , S. , Masubuchi , M. , Kitano , K. and Mogi , K. Feasibility Study of Exhaust Emissions in a Natural Gas Diesel Dual Fuel (DDF) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1649 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1649
- Garcia , P. , and Tunestal , P. Experimental Investigation on NG-Diesel Combustion Modes under Highly Diluted Conditions on a Light Duty Diesel Engine with Focus on Injection Strategy SAE Int. J. Engines 8 5 2177 2187 2015 10.4271/2015-24-2439
- Di Blasio , G. , Belgiorno , G. , and Beatrice , C. Parametric Analysis of Compression Ratio Variation Effects on Thermodynamic, Gaseous Pollutant and Particle Emissions of a Dual-Fuel CH4-Diesel Light Duty Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0764 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0764
- Papagiannakis , R.G. , Rakopoulos , C.D. , Hountalas , D.T. , Rakopoulos D.C. Emission Characteristics of High Speed, Dual Fuel, Compression Ignition Engine Operating in a Wide Range of Natural Gas/Diesel Fuel Proportions Fuel 89 7 July 2010 1397 1406 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.11.001
- Lulic , Z. et al. 2017 10.21278/TOF.41101
- Aroonsrisopon , T. , Salad M. and Wirojsakunchai , E. 2009-01-1855
- Ryu , K. Effects of Pilot Injection Timing on the Combustion and Emissions Characteristics in a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel-CNG Dual Fuel Applied Energy 111 721 730 2013 10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.05.046
- Yang , B. et al. Parametric Investigation of Natural Gas Port Injection and Diesel Pilot Injection on the Combustion and Emissions of a Turbocharged Common Rail Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Load Applied Energy 143 130 137 2015 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.01.037
- Tomita , E. , Harada , Y. , and Nobuyuki 2009-01-1832
- Königsson , F. , Stalhammar , P. , and Angstrom , H. Characterization and Potential of Dual Fuel Combustion in a Modern Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2223 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2223
- Serrano D. , and Bertrand L.
- Napolitano , P. , Guido , C. , Beatrice , C. , and Del Giacomo , N. “Application of a Dual Fuel Diesel-NG Configuration in a Euro 5 Automotive Diesel Engine”, SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0769 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0769
- Arrigoni , S , Avolio , G , Loudjertli L , Renella A et al. 2011
- Kolbeck , A. Closed Loop Combustion Control - Enabler of Future Refined Engine Performance Regarding Power, Efficiency, Emissions & NVH under Stringent Governmental Regulations SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0171 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0171
- Symonds , J. P. R. , Reavell , K.S.J. , Olfert , J.S. , Campbell , B.W et al. Diesel Soot Mass Calculation in Real-Time with a Differential Mobility Spectrometer Journal of Aerosol Science 38 1 52 68 2007
- Fraioli , V. , Beatrice , C. Di Blasio , G. , , Belgiorno , G. et al. Multidimensional Simulations of Combustion in Methane-Diesel Dual-Fuel Light-Duty Engines SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0568 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0568
- Kusaka , J. , Okamoto , T. , Daisho , Y. , Kihara , R. et al. Combustion and Exhaust Gas Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Dual-Fueled with Natural Gas Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan Review 21 4 489 496 2000