This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measured and LES Motored-Flow Kinetic Energy Evolution in the TCC-III Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A primary goal of large eddy simulation, LES, is to capture in-cylinder cycle-to-cycle variability, CCV. This is a first step to assess the efficacy of 35 consecutive computed motored cycles to capture the kinetic energy in the TCC-III engine. This includes both the intra-cycle production and dissipation as well as the kinetic energy CCV. The approach is to sample and compare the simulated three-dimensional velocity equivalently to the available two-component two-dimensional PIV velocity measurements. The volume-averaged scale-resolved kinetic energy from the LES is sampled in three slabs, which are volumes equal to the two axial and one azimuthal PIV fields-of-view and laser sheet thickness. Prior to the comparison, the effects of sampling a cutting plane versus a slab and slabs of different thicknesses are assessed. The effects of sampling only two components and three discrete planar regions is assessed.
The measured and simulated kinetic-energy intra-cycle evolution had the same general trends. However, LES underestimated both the kinetic energy ensemble averaged and CCV range during the intake and compression strokes. The underestimation continued until just prior to TDC, where MBT spark timing would have occurred had the engine been fired. Investigation into the kinetic energy CCV distributions were skewed toward much larger values. However, during the expansion stroke the simulation overestimated the measured kinetic energy in the azimuthal plane.
CitationReuss, D., Zhong, Z., Yang, X., Kuo, T. et al., "Measured and LES Motored-Flow Kinetic Energy Evolution in the TCC-III Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0192, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0192.
- Truffin , K. , Angelberger , C. , Richard , S. , and Pera , C. Using Large-Eddy Simulation and Multivariate Analysis to Understand the Sources of Combustion Cyclic Variability in a Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion and Flame 162 12 4371 4390 2015
- Pera , C. , Richard , S. , and Angelberger , C. Exploitation of Multi-Cycle Engine LES to Introduce Physical Perturbations in 1-D Engine Models for Reproducing CCV SAE Techncial Paper 2012-01-0127 2012 10.2471/2012-01-0127
- Baumann , M. , di Mare , F. , and Janicka , J. On the Validation of Large Eddy Simulation Applied to Internal Combustion Engine Flows Part II: Numerical Analysis Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 92 1-2 299 317 2014
- Baum , E. , Peterson , B. , Böhm , B. , and Dreizler , A. On the Validation of LES Applied to Internal Combustion Engine Flows: Part 1: Comprehensive Experimental Database Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 92 269 297 2013
- Schiffmann , P. , Gupta , S. , Reuss , D. , Sick , V. et al. TCCIII-Engine Benchmark for Large Eddy Simulation of IC Engine Flows Oil & Gas Science and Technology 71 1 27 2016
- Schiffmann , P. , Reuss , D.L. , and Sick , V. TCC-IIII Data Repository, Deep Blue University of Michigan Ann Arbor 2017 https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/data/collections/8k71nh59c
- Schiffmann , P. , Reuss , D.L. , and Sick , V. IJER 2017
- Shekhawat , Y. , Haworth , D.C. , d’Adamo , A. , Fontanesi , S. et al. OGST 2017
- Schiffmann , P. , Reuss , D.L. , and Sick , V. TCC-III Motored Full FOV, Deep Blue University of Michigan Ann Arbor 2017 10.7302/Z2MS3QP3
- Reuss , D.L. , Megerle , M. , and Sick , V. Particle-Image Velocimetry Measurement Errors when Imaging through a Transparent Engine Cylinder Measurement Science and Technology 13 7 1029 1035 2002
- CONVERGETM CONVERGETM: A Three-Dimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics Program for Transient Flows with Complex Geometries Convergent Science Inc. 2009
- Werner , H. and Wengle , H. Large-Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flow Over and Around a Cube in a Plate Channel Eighth Symposium on Turbulent Shear Flows Munich 9-11 Sep 1991
- Kuo , T.-W. , Yang , X. , Gopalakrishnan , V. , and Chen , Z. LES for IC Engine Flows OGST 69 1 2014
- Borée , J. Miles , P.C. and Encyclopedia of Automotive Engineering 2014 10.1002/9781118354179.auto119
- Gosman , A.D. , Johns , R.J.R. , and Watkins , A.P. Development of prediction methods for in-cylinder processes in reciprocating engines Combustion Modeling in Reciprocating Engines Mattavi , J.D. and Amann , C.A. Plenum 1980
- Yang , X. and Kuo , T.-W. Correlation of CCV between In-Cylinder Swirl Ratio and Polar Velocity Profile in Valve Seat Region Using LES under Motored Engine Condition OGST 72 6 2017
- Reuss , D.L. Cyclic Variability of Large-Scale Turbulent Structures in Directed and Undirected IC Engine Flows SAE Paper 2000-01-0246 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0246
- Abraham , P.S. , Yang , X. , Gupta , S. , Kuo , T.-W. et al. Flow-Pattern Switching in a Motored Spark Ignition Engine International Journal of Engine Research 16 3 323 339 2015