This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Robust AIS Parametric Model for V8 Engines Using Design for Six Sigma Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The automotive Air Induction System (AIS) is an important part of the engine systems which delivers the air to the engine. A well-designed AIS should have low flow restriction and radiates a good quality sound at the snorkel. The GT-Power simulation tool has been widely utilized to evaluate the snorkel noise in industry. In Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, the simulation method enhanced with Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) approach has been developed and implemented in AIS development to meet the functional requirements. The development work included different types of DFSS projects such as identifying new concept, robust optimization and robust assessment etc. In this paper, the work of a robust optimization project is presented on developing an AIS parametric model to achieve optimized snorkel noise performance for a V8 engine.
First, the theory of AIS acoustic modeling using GT-power and DFSS robust optimization using Taguchi’s parameter design method are described. Secondly, the effects of several AIS design control factors on the AIS sound attenuation and snorkel performance are studied. Finally, the eight steps of Taguchi’s parameter design method are presented on developing a parametric AIS model for a V8 engine. Based on the results from the verification step, an optimized AIS parametric model to this specified V8 engine is suggested. The optimized model is more robust against temperature variation and has better snorkel noise performance. The lessons learned from this project and future work are discussed in the conclusion section.
CitationZhang, W., Likich, M., and Butler, B., "Development of a Robust AIS Parametric Model for V8 Engines Using Design for Six Sigma Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0140, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0140.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
- Morel , T. , Flemming , M. , and LaPointe , L. Characterization of Manifold Dynamics in the Chrysler 2.2 S.I. Engine by Measurements and Simulation 900679 1990 10.4271/900679
- Silvestri , J. , Morel , T. , and Costello , M. Study of Intake System Wave Dynamics and Acoustics by Simulation and Experiment 940206 1994 10.4271/940206
- Shaw , C. , Moenssen , D. , and Montgomery , W. On the Use of BEA with Engine Simulation as an Input to Predict Air Induction Inlet Noise 2005-01-2350 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2350
- Biermayer , W. and Brandl , F. Vehicle Sound Engineering by Modifying Intake/Exhaust Orifice Noise Using Simulation Software 2003-01-1686 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1686
- Graefenstein , A 2006
- Zhang , W. , Butler B. , Likich , M. , and Lynch , M. A Practical Procedure to Predict AIS Inlet Noise Using CAE Simulation Tools 2013-01-1004 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1004
- Zhang , W. , Likich , M. , Butler , B. , and White , J. A Case Study on Clean Side Duct Radiated Shell Noise Prediction SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn., Stab., and NVH 1 2 2017
- Zhang , W. , Lynch , M. , and Reynolds , R. A Practical Simulation Procedure Using CFD to Predict Flow Induced Sound of a Turbocharger Compressor Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 8 2 2015
- Zhang , W. , Likich , M. , Lynch , M. , and White , J. A Study on Robust Air Induction Snorkel Volume Velocity Prediction Using DFSS Approach 2016-01-0480 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0480
- Zhang , W. , Khurana , R. , Likich , M. , and Lynch , M. Optimization of a Porous Ducted Air Induction System Using Taguchi’s Parameter Design Method SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Sys 7 2 816 821 2014
- GT-Power User’s Manual 2006
- GT-Suite Acoustic Application Manual 2011
- Taguchi , G. , Chowdhury , S. , and Wu , Y. 2005
- Wu , Y. and Wu , A. Taguchi Methods for Robust Design New York ASME Press 2000
- ASI Consulting Group 2005