This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Simplified Circuit Model for the Emulation of Glow Phase during Spark Discharge
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The ever-growing demand to meet the stringent exhaust emission regulations have driven the development of modern gasoline engines towards lean combustion strategies and downsizing to achieve the reduction of exhaust emission and fuel consumption. Currently, the inductive ignition system is still the dominant ignition system applied in Spark Ignited (SI) engines. It is popular due to its simple design, low cost and robust performance. The new development in spark ignition engines demands higher spark energy to be delivered by the inductive ignition system to overcome the unfavorable ignition conditions caused by the increased and diluted in-cylinder charge. To meet this challenge, better understanding of the inductive ignition system is required.
The development of a first principle model for simulation can help in understanding the working mechanism of the system in a better way. In this paper, an empirical model was proposed to emulate the relation between the equivalent ion channel resistance of the spark plug gap and the discharge current during the glow phase of a spark discharge. This empirical model was then embedded into a simplified physics based spark ignition circuit model which had been developed previously. Model validation was conducted against measurement results. Compared to the previous model, the proposed model can capture the electrical characteristics better during the glow phase of the spark discharge. Parametric analysis was presented using the model to study the effects caused by changing the ignition coil settings.
CitationZhu, H., Tan, Q., Purohit, D., Yu, S. et al., "A Simplified Circuit Model for the Emulation of Glow Phase during Spark Discharge," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0092, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0092.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Schenk , M. , Schauer , F. , Sauer , C. , Weber , G. et al. Challenges to the Ignition System of Future Gasoline Engines-An Application Oriented Systems Comparison 3rd International Conference Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines 3-4 Nov 2016 Berlin, Germany
- Karl , G. , Otto , F. , Herweg , R. , Freisinger , N. et al. Future Potential of Gasoline Engines 2 nd International Conference Ignition systems for Gasoline Engines 2014 Berlin, Germany
- Turner , J. , Popplewell , A. , Patel , R. , Johnson , T. et al. Ultra Boost for Economy: Extending the Limits of Extreme Engine Downsizing SAE Int. J. Engines 7 1 387 417 2014
- Wei , H. , Zhu , T. , Shu , G. , Tan , L. et al. Gasoline Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation-A Review Applied Energy. 99 534 544 2012 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.05.011
- Brandt , M. , Hettinger , A. , Schneider , A. , Senftleben , H. et al. Extension of Operating Window for Modern Combustion Systems by High Performance Ignition 3rd International Conference Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines 3-4 Nov 2016 Berlin, Germany
- Yu , S. and Zheng , M. Advanced Ignition System for Future Clean Combustion Engines: Review J Automotive Safety and Energy 6 4 2015
- Yu , S. , Tan , Q. , and Ives , M. Parametric Analysis of Ignition Circuit Components on Spark Discharge Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1011 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1011
- Yu , X. , Yu , S. , Yang , Z. , Tan , Q. et al. Improvement on Energy Efficiency of the Spark Ignition System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0678 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0678
- Dale , J.D. , Checkel , M.D. , and Smy , P.R. Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 23 5-6 379 398 1997 10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7
- Heywood , J. 1988 371 437
- Schneider , A. , Hettinger , A. , and Kufferath , A. 2 nd International Conference Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines 2014
- Pischinger , S. 1989
- Suits , C.G. , Poritsky , H. Application of Heat Transfer Data to Arc Characteristics Physical Review 55 1939
- Saucer , T. Numerical Analysis 230 237
- Abe , Y. , Sugiura , A.E. , Doi , K. et al. Study of Ignition System for Demand Voltage Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0777 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0777
- Paschen , F. Ueber die zum Funkenübergang in Luft, Wasserstoff und Kohlensäure bei verschiedenen Drucken erforderliche Potentialdifferenz Ann. Phys. 273 69 96 1889 10.1002/andp.18892730505
- SAE J973 2013