This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Research on Flow Resistance of Cool Medium from Heat Dissipation System for Construction Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Construction vehicles own some inherent characteristics, such as low velocity, high power and following heavy heat flux et al. Aiming at decreasing flow resistance and managing airflow, a 39 ton single drum road roller from one of the biggest manufactures in China was employed as a research target to seek out the effect of air flow resistance on the performance of its heat dissipation system. For a start, a simplified 3D model of the road roller in a virtual wind tunnel was established with a commercial software, which was pre-processed in Gambit later. The radiators were set with heat exchanger boundary condition based on the analysis on the air-side elementary unit, as for the cooling fan, the experimental results in the wind tunnel were transformed into the corresponding boundary condition. Following that, a new design scheme was offered to assign the air flow inside the engine cabin, detail flow trajectories of which were introduced by velocity vector and path line acquired from the simulation results in FLUENT. At last, a field experiment was carried out to validate the correctness of the CFD simulation. The results showed that the outlet temperature of thermal fluid from the simulation could agree with experimental data over an acceptable range. The outlet temperature of coolant maintained around 78°C under the new scheme as ambient temperature was at 30°C, the assignment of air flow path could descend flow resistance, which could improve the heat dissipation performance for construction vehicles as well.
CitationLiu, J., Wang, B., Jiang, Y., and Long, H., "Numerical and Experimental Research on Flow Resistance of Cool Medium from Heat Dissipation System for Construction Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0088, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0088.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- Wang, C.C. andChi, K.Y., “Heat Transfer and Friction Characteristics of Plain Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers, Part I: New Experimental Data,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 43(15):2681-2691, 2000, doi:10.1016/s0017-9310(99)00332-4.
- Wang, C.C.,Chi, K.Y., andChang, C.J., “Heat Transfer and Friction Characteristics of Plain Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers, Part II: Correlation,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 43(15):2693-2700, 2000, doi:10.1016/s0017-9310(99)00333-6.
- Junqi D., “Research on air side flow and heat transfer character of vehicle cooling systems,” Ph.D. thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, 2007.
- Erek, A.,Özerdem, B.,Bilir, L., andİlken, Z., “Effect of Geometrical Parameters on Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Plate Fin and Tube Heat Exchangers,” Applied Thermal Engineering 25(14-15):2421-2431, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2004.12.019.
- Kundu, B. andLee, K.S., “Thermal Design of an Orthotropic Flat Fin in Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers Operating in Dry and Wet Environments,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 54(25-26):5207-5215, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.08.024.
- Reavis, G., “Analytical Investigation of Flow Stagnation in a Pumped Fluid Loop Radiator,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3260, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3260.
- Chichindaev, A.V. “Heat Transfer of Humid-Air Flow in a Compact Heat Exchanger with Plate Ribbing,” presented at 2008 Third International Forum on Strategic Technologies, Russia, Jun. 23-29, 2008.
- Zhang, L.Z., “Heat and Mass Transfer in a Quasi-Counter Flow Membrane-Based Total Heat Exchanger,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 53(23-24):5478-5486, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.07.009.
- Lin, Z.,Wang, S.,Huo, J.,Yanxin, H. et al., “Heat Transfer Characteristics and LED Heat Sink Application of Aluminum Plate Oscillating Heat Pipes,” Applied Thermal Engineering 31(14-15):2221-2229, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.03.003.
- Martínez, A.,Vián, J.G.,Astrain, D.,Rodríguez, A., andBerrio, I., “Optimization of the Heat Exchangers of a Thermoelectric Generation System,” Journal of Electronic Materials 39(9):1463-1468, 2010, doi:10.1007/s11664-010-1291-4.
- Myhren, J.A. andHolmberg, S., “Improving the Thermal Performance of Ventilation Radiators - The Role of Internal Convection Fins,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 50(2):115-123, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2010.10.011.
- Williams, J.,Karanth, D., andOler, W., “Cooling Inlet Aerodynamic Performance and System Resistance,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0256, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0256.
- Gullberg, P.,Löfdahl, L.,Adelman, S., andNilsson, P., “An Investigation and Correction Method of Stationary Fan CFD MRF Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3067, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-3067.
- Gullberg, P.,Löfdahl, L.,Nilsson, P., andAdelman, S., “Continued Study of the Error and Consistency of Fan CFD MRF Models,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0553, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0553.
- Gullberg, P. andSengupta, R., “Axial Fan Performance Predictions in CFD, Comparison of MRF and Sliding Mesh with Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0652, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0652.
- Wang, A.,Xiao, Z., andGhazialam, H., “Evaluation of the Multiple Reference Frame (MRF) Model in a Truck Fan Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2067, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2067.
- Foss, J.,Neal, D.,Henner, M., andMoreau, S., “Evaluating CFD Models of Axial Fans by Comparisons with Phase-Averaged Experimental Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1701, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1701.
- Kohri, I.,Kobayashi, Y., andMatsushima, Y., “Prediction of the Performance of the Engine Cooling Fan with CFD Simulation,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Sys. 3(1):508-522, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0548.
- Anusonti-Inthra, P.,Liou, W.,Baumann, A., andKacynski, K., “Virtual Testing and Simulation Methods for Aerodynamic Performance of A Heavy Duty Cooling Fan,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1925, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1925.
- Nageswara, R.D.,Kaur, B.S.,Kumar, S.R., andKumar, I.N.N., “CFD Analysis of Axial Flow Fans for Radiator Cooling in Automobile Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4262, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4262.
- Liu, J.,Qin, S.,Jiang, Y., andHe, S., “Numerical and Experimental Investigation on Heat Exchange Performance for Heat Dissipation Module for Construction Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0624, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0624.
- Qin, S.C.,Wang, X.L.,Qin, S.N., andWu, Z.J., “Analysis of Air-Field Property in Heat Source System of Wheel Loader,” Zhongguo Gonglu Xuebao/China Journal of Highway and Transport 23(3):121-126, 2011.
- Bi, X.P.,Lu, L.D., andZhou, G.Y., “Evaluation of Cooling Air Duct Comprehensive Performance in Vehicle Based on CFD Analysis,” Neiranji Gongcheng/Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 33(3):49-53, 2012.
- Dong, J.,Lin, S.,Chen, Q., andWeiwu, X., “Experimental Study on Thermal-Hydraulic Performance of a Wavy Fin-and-Flat Tube Aluminum Heat Exchanger,” Applied Thermal Engineering 51(1-2):32-39, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.09.018.
- Dong, J.,Chen, J.,Chen, Z., andZhou, Y., “Air-Side Thermal Hydraulic Performance of Offset Strip Fin Aluminum Heat Exchangers,” Applied Thermal Engineering 27(2-3):306-313, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.08.005.
- Wieting, A.R., “Empirical Correlations for Heat Transfer and Flow Friction Characteristics of Rectangular Offset-Fin Plate-Fin Heat Exchangers,” Journal of Heat Transfer 97:488-490, 1975.
- Zhongpeng, Y., “Vehicle cooling and heat transfer,” (Beijing, Beijing Institute of Technology Press, 2001), 211-212. ISBN:7-81045-769-1.
- Wang, C.C. andYu, C., “Heat Transfer and Friction Characteristics of Plain Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers, Part I: New Experimental Data,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 43(15):2681-2691, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0017-9310(99)00332-4.
- Liu, J.,Qin, S.,Xu, Z.,Zhang, A. et al., “Comparative Analysis of Heat Exchange Performance of Vehicle Radiator Based on CFD Numerical Simulation,” Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science Edition) 40(5):24-29, 2012, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1000-565X.2012.05.005.